ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

FCAB shot after only 8 tracks.

So, i purchased the superflex bushing for the z4m. I know I push the car a lot, but I didnt think these would be shot only after 8 track days =((((
I will be going to aluminum this time so I dont have to replace every year.

I wanted to know if you guys know if any company started making aluminum bushing for our car?
thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Looks kind of dry.
What did you use for lube?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Looks kind of dry.
Honestly I don't know cuz my mechanic installed it. I would beleive its dry cuz of the day I went off track when it was all muddy, or other times when it was dry, but here, if you go off, it's all dirt.
But like you said, since my ball joints are bad, it caused the bushing to go bad too.
Just to make something clear here to everyone. I didn't make this post to bash the company. I'm just stating what happened to me. It could be cuz of the dryness or cuz my ball joints are bad.
Expensive week for me. Gotta buy new bushings plus two lower control arm. This sucks. Gotta pay to play.
      10-22-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
Quote:
Looks kind of dry.
Honestly I don't know cuz my mechanic installed it. I would beleive its dry cuz of the day I went off track when it was all muddy, or other times when it was dry, but here, if you go off, it's all dirt.
But like you said, since my ball joints are bad, it caused the bushing to go bad too.
Just to make something clear here to everyone. I didn't make this post to bash the company. I'm just stating what happened to me. It could be cuz of the dryness or cuz my ball joints are bad.
Expensive week for me. Gotta buy new bushings plus two lower control arm. This sucks. Gotta pay to play.
On a tracked Z4M the front control arms are an every two year replacement item . Downside of ancient McPherson strut design . Can't believe BMW still hasn't gone to double wishbone on M cars even today !
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003
On a tracked Z4M the front control arms are an every two year replacement item . Downside of ancient McPherson strut design . Can't believe BMW still hasn't gone to double wishbone on M cars even today !
curious how much track time in those 2 years?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Downside of ancient McPherson strut design . Can't believe BMW still hasn't gone to double wishbone on M cars even today !
MacPherson isnt 'more ancient' than double wishbone (in contrary).

And bmw uses double wishbone on for example the current M5

They probably dont use double wishbone here because of space. The engine is mounted fairly tilted to achieve lower point of gravity, which takes up space (width).
There is not much room between the headers and the strut tower.
For a larger car (like the 5 series) that's less of a problem.

Macpherson also has less parts which can mean lighter or cheaper.

I think the lifespan of the fcab's is more a result from the L shaped suspension arm. Current 1/3 series with the wishbone/tension strut design are maybe less failsensitive. But I dont know if they achieve the same effective arm lenght with that.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-22-2016 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
Downside of ancient McPherson strut design . Can't believe BMW still hasn't gone to double wishbone on M cars even today !
MacPherson isnt 'more ancient' than double wishbone (in contrary).

And bmw uses double wishbone on for example the current M5

They probably dont use double wishbone here because of space. The engine is mounted fairly tilted to achieve lower point of gravity, which takes up space (width).
There is not much room between the headers and the strut tower.
For a larger car (like the 5 series) that's less of a problem.

Macpherson also has less parts which can mean lighter or cheaper.

I think the lifespan of the fcab's is more a result from the L shaped suspension arm. Current 1/3 series with the wishbone/tension strut design are maybe less failsensitive. But I dont know if they achieve the same effective arm lenght with that.
The new M3/m4 doesn't have a double wishbone either , and the Z4M has the same mcpherson front suspension as the E46 M3 . It's a very old design at this point , (I was referring to the specific Z4M geometry) . There is a ton of forces because of the design on that bushing . The McPherson struts main disadvantage versus double wishbone is lack of dynamic camber. Thus me having to run -3.5 on track. For a performance car it's just not as good as a double wishbone on track period . It IS a wear item because of the design so kind of negates the cost advantage lol .
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #8
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looks kind of dry.
What do you think of this lol

http://www.bimmerworld.com/E46-M3-Ra...trol-Arms.html
      10-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looks kind of dry.
What do you think of this lol

http://www.bimmerworld.com/E46-M3-Ra...trol-Arms.html
That's for a full on race car set up , I have not heard of anyone doing that conversion on a Z4M . Would be interesting but wouldn't want to be the first to do it lol .
Appreciate 0