ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

3.0si brake upgrades

Read a few threads with nothing conclusive (or very old) - I have some really degrading calipers (rusting, filthy, shoddy), and was considering upgrading.

At the same time, my rotors are very worn and are reaching their thickness limit.

I'm not looking to upgrade to an expensive BBK, but seeing that the Z4M uses 345mm front / 328mm rear, was hoping I could do a direct bolt on/upgrade. Unfortunately, neither front nor rear spindles fit the Z4M (from what I read).

My next best option was to upgrade to 135i front rotors/calipers. Can anyone confirm this fits our front end?

As for the rear, shame not much available for our cars...
      12-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

The 3.0si gets a bit of an upgrade in the calipers from the other non-M Z4s and uses the same front calipers as the E46 330i, and the X3, though not quite as robust as what the M cars get. With a good set of rotors and pads they're fine for autocross and adequate for short session (20-25 minutes) track days.
The cast iron BMW uses for the caliper housings does develop a pretty nasty looking patina, but they clean up really well with a wire wheel or a wire cup brush and a coat of G2 caliper paint will keep them looking good. Here's before and after on my front calipers.
Attached Images

12-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Great detail, thanks. I'm tossed between cleaning/rebuilding (seals, etc) and upgrading, but at the same time, I'm also looking for a bit of "bling". I would be happy with just replacement of the calipers to something a bit more modern looking, regardless if there is (or isn't) a performance improvement.
      12-28-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post

My next best option was to upgrade to 135i front rotors/calipers. Can anyone confirm this fits our front end?
No it's not a direct fit.
The 135i rotors will never fit; the offset is too big.
There is a way to use the 135i calipers.
ECS tuning has a (now expensive) set that uses 135i calipers with a 325mm bmw performance rotor (aluminium hat, semi floating, same tech as used in m3 and z4m rotors), and there are also adapters to use the 135i calipers with the z4m 345mm rotors.
https://www.epytec.de/en/detail/inde.../sCategory/105
The stock caliper brackets from the 135i are designed for 338mm rotors.
In theory you could fill the space between oem bracket and caliper with washers to match the z4m 345mm rotor (3,5mm washers).
I've used the 135i calipers on my z4 for over 4,5 years now and they do the job excellent. I also have the rear 135i brembo calipers with a 320mm rotor. (that setup is custom made)

If you plan on heavily tracking your car with 135i calipers, you can fit your 135i calipers with silicone dust boots and stainless pistons (racingbrake.com).
For street use the stock rubber dust boots are better to cope with daily moist and grime (stronger)

Depending on where you source the 135i calipers it may be cheaper to go for an entry level BBK kit from a brand like D2 racing
http://www.d2brakekits.co.uk/
The width of those rotors is bigger so there is better cooling (but also more mass so more unsprung weight)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 12-28-2016 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Try these for an affordable BBK option.

http://pbbrakes.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post

Interesting! Looks like about $1,200 for the basic 4 pot system for the front end, before shipping. (That includes the "sport" pads option.) Replacement pads run about $120 which isn't unreasonable either.

For any BBK set you buy, replacement pads and rotors should be part of the cost decision.

Rotora had some really cheap packages a couple years ago in the $,1200-$1,500 per axle price range, but the replacement pad sets were like $400 and replacement rotors were about the same each.

Hey Deemo, why don't you pick up a set? I'll help you with the install and we can see how they work out.....
      12-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Quote:

Interesting! Looks like about $1,200 for the basic 4 pot system for the front end, before shipping. (That includes the "sport" pads option.) Replacement pads run about $120 which isn't unreasonable either.

For any BBK set you buy, replacement pads and rotors should be part of the cost decision.

Rotora had some really cheap packages a couple years ago in the $,1200-$1,500 per axle price range, but the replacement pad sets were like $400 and replacement rotors were about the same each.

Hey Deemo, why don't you pick up a set? I'll help you with the install and we can see how they work out.....
We still have have to do my soft top rams while it's cooler weather.

The Australian guys love PBB for Street and Track. I have had my eye on a full kit for a while now.

I did look at Rotora earlier this year since I was curious about what they had and it had been a long time since I looked at their offerings.

I really like the anodized paint option PBB offers since I saw it on a Maserati GT Sport years ago while in Minnesota.

Maybe I will get a set and be the guinea pig. They are very affordable!!!!!

When I get my E53 X5 4.6is I will definitely get the full BBK.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:

The Australian guys love PBB for Street and Track. I have had my eye on a full kit for a while now.

I did look at Rotora earlier this year since I was curious about what they had and it had been a long time since I looked at their offerings.

I really like the anodized paint option PBB offers since I saw it on a Maserati GT Sport years ago while in Minnesota.

Let me know when you want to have the "top party".

Also, missed you at the CCA Holiday party! It was a really great venue and outing.
      12-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Quote:

Let me know when you want to have the "top party".

Also, missed you at the CCA Holiday party! It was a really great venue and outing.
My schedule with work conflicted as usual. When I attend events it's because my schedule works.

You planning on going to Amelia Island in March? You really should because it's an awesome event.

I have clients going and I am going to write about it for the magazine.

And I need to get you a copy of the latest issue, they gave me six pages for my automotive article which is mostly about a 1973 BMW E9 3.0CS which turned out really well.
Appreciate 0