ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Z4 M Coupe Interior Camera Mount Suggestions?

I recently got a Contour +2 with suction cup mount. When I mount it off the top of the rear window close to the ceiling, the view isn't too bad, but it is too far rearward. I tried the suction mount above the compartment between the seats - it's the shot I want, but the suction won't hold. What mount modifications have people made in this location?
      05-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklin View Post
I recently got a Contour +2 with suction cup mount. When I mount it off the top of the rear window close to the ceiling, the view isn't too bad, but it is too far rearward. I tried the suction mount above the compartment between the seats - it's the shot I want, but the suction won't hold. What mount modifications have people made in this location?
That piece of trim lifts off easily--I drilled a hole in it and used a camera tripod mount for my GoPro. Within the bulkhead, I also installed a cigarette lighter socket wired straight to the battery with an inline fuse on the positive wire... USB charger then into the lighter socket, GoPro computer cable into the USB and the camera is hard wired.
      05-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Used a GoPro 3M mount right there. Works flawlessly.

Perhaps try to use some conversion to utilize that mount

Here is what it looks like

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
That piece of trim lifts off easily--I drilled a hole in it and used a camera tripod mount for my GoPro. Within the bulkhead, I also installed a cigarette lighter socket wired straight to the battery with an inline fuse on the positive wire... USB charger then into the lighter socket, GoPro computer cable into the USB and the camera is hard wired.
Any tips on removing any of the plastic coverings? I fear breaking brittle 5 year old plastic fasteners, not knowing where to pry or poke. Thanks in advance!