ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

Sirius reception issues

Does anyone have Sirius in their Z4 that DOESN'T drop out after going almost every underpass??

I've had my Sirius since I bought the car in 2006. It was the OEM Unit, purchased through Bavautosound. Ever since I've owned it, it has a very annoying tendancy to drop out out just after going under every underpass while driving...usually a couple seconds after emerging from that underpass.

I know satalite radio is line of sight, and all that, however, none of my factory installed XM or Sirius units in other cars EVER drop out this way...except occasionally under extremely large tunnels and such.

I've tried changing the antenna brands a couple times, and changed the antenna mounting location a few times. Nothing seems to help.

Is it just the older units that do this? If I broke down and purchased a new unit directly from BMW, would I still have this issue? I can't stand it. Has anyone else who's experienced this solved it somehow?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

Mine does exactly the same thing. It's an OEM unit installed directly by the dealer when I bought the car.

The funny thing is, is that I don't really notice it anymore. My brain just seems to fill in the gaps. However, when other people ride in my car they always point out how bad it is. =P

My antenna is mounted internally, so I sort of expected it to be bad. Is your mounted externally?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

Yes. Externally. on the trunk. I've tried cheap ones, expensive ones, big ones, and little ones. Nothing helps.
Appreciate 0