ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Unplugged

So I was under my car today removing under trays and such in preparation for a header and pipe project and found an unplugged "module" in the bottom of the engine oil sump.
Real Oem says it is an oil levelling sensor

Any reason why this should be unplugged?http://www.realoem.com/bmw/photos/12617607910.jpg

Thanks
Dave
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I'm assuming you're not the original owner.
I have an ///M, which doesn't have the luxury of an on-dash oil level display, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but do you know if yours was working?

My guess would be that it failed, and the original owner simply disconnected it.
Or maybe some Bubba that worked on the car previously disconnected it and forgot to reconnect it.
Reconnect it and see what happens.

I found that the original owner of my car had the locks disconnected on both the center console and gas fill flap.
      12-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I'm assuming you're not the original owner.
I have an ///M, which doesn't have the luxury of an on-dash oil level display, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but do you know if yours was working?

My guess would be that it failed, and the original owner simply disconnected it.
Or maybe some Bubba that worked on the car previously disconnected it and forgot to reconnect it.
Reconnect it and see what happens.

I found that the original owner of my car had the locks disconnected on both the center console and gas fill flap.
2nd owner.
Never had any oil lights on the car so maybe it was unplugged because it was faulty and tripped a warning light.

Thanks for the reply.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Stickmon, you do not have the in dash oil level, but you do have an oil level sensor in the pan... and it looks like the picture.

With the OP's car being an 04, I do not think he has an in dash oil level display either. Could be wrong.

The ECU uses the data.

No. 12

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=11&fg=10

20131016_045728 by Z4-Driver, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Ohhhhhh. That's the sensor for the yellow light then.
Thanks.
      07-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Reviving an old thread.
I did plug the sensor back in and recently when I shut down the engine a yellow light(oil can) lights up for approx 25 secs, it has not illuminated anytime during driving the car.
I have checked the oil level on the dipstick and it shows approx 1/2 litre approx 2 cups low according to the stupid segmented guage.
Is the sensor that sensitive to that small a difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

1/2 a liter sounds like a hell of a lot to me.

i always get the full 5.5 back out of my car during an oil change, it doesn't seem to burn any. so if I noticed it was 1/2 a liter down I'd be pretty concerned.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

I know I have a leak somewhere as I do see a small damp spot under the car after sitting.
I will need to investigate further in the meantime check oil levels on fill ups

Mine does not burn either
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Reviving an old thread.
I did plug the sensor back in and recently when I shut down the engine a yellow light(oil can) lights up for approx 25 secs, it has not illuminated anytime during driving the car.
I have checked the oil level on the dipstick and it shows approx 1/2 litre approx 2 cups low according to the stupid segmented guage.
Is the sensor that sensitive to that small a difference?
No the sensor is not that sensitive. Your sensor may very well be on its way out. I had to replace the oil level sensor on my E46 twice during the ~100,000 or so miles I owned it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0