ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #45
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I drive with DSC off. Always.

But I do drive slow in the rain, unless I happen to be somewhere with wide open spaces
Your trips to Walmart must be way more exiting then mine.
      07-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #46
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
Your trips to Walmart must be way more exiting then mine.
unfortunately I rarely ever go to Walmart. The closest one to me is about 15 minutes away through a somewhat sketchy/ghetto town at that
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #47
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The caption on this photo reads "This was one of the show vehicles that BMW was using to promote the new Z4 Roadster. It got into a little accident". It looks to have been a backwards excursion into a snow bank.

I think this says a lot about the Z4 (especially the ///M) and how you have to respect it at the limit, get into a panic and it does like to spin, finesse it and it is just brilliant. I have found the worst thing to do with my Z4M is it to rapidly back out of the throttle if you've entered a corner too fast, led to many autocross spins and a memorable 160km/h (100mph) two-and-a-half turn spin at the track due to doing this.

DSC can help initially to keep the car stable when you are in an unexpected situation and push the car to it's limit, but can't recover the car when you've exceeded the limit, it still needs respect whether DSC is on or off. I find this is in marked contrast to an AWD drive car with a relatively long wheelbase, such as the Subaru Legacy, you can pretty well do anything with that car and it will act in a benign manner, within the laws of physics.

"DON'T PANIC" is definitely in order when on the limit with the Z4M, leading to the rear just squirming and sliding gently under your backside as you laugh at how controlled and agile the car is, as opposed to rapidly spinning.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #48
psygnosis
Major
Rep

I hear real drivers disable ABS too.

On an unrelated note, anyone have some M Sport seats they can't use anymore?
      07-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #49
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

If your car came with racing brakes and you pay attention then you don't need abs
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #50
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

You must live in a world where everyone is a perfect driver, and they always make predictable maneuvers.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #51
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17
You must live in a world where everyone is a perfect driver, and they always make predictable maneuvers.
No I live in the world of old 911s, if you're not already anticipating the guy in front of you then you're in for a world of hurt with that back end. Of course that texting teenager always causes problems!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #52
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller944s2 View Post
No I live in the world of old 911s, if you're not already anticipating the guy in front of you then you're in for a world of hurt
Then the girl on her phone pulls out of a driveway in the corner of your eye and you're too late.

ABS is here for a reason. Sorry we're not super cool like you and brag about interior technology on street cars.

I use ABS all the time when I autocross. If you don't engage it, you're not braking correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #53
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

how do you even disengage abs
      07-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #54
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31
Quote:
No I live in the world of old 911s, if you're not already anticipating the guy in front of you then you're in for a world of hurt
Then the girl on her phone pulls out of a driveway in the corner of your eye and you're too late.

ABS is here for a reason. Sorry we're not super cool like you and brag about interior technology on street cars.

I use ABS all the time when I autocross. If you don't engage it, you're not braking correctly.
Never said the BMW wasn't nice, I like it I mean I picked it out for my mom. My Porsche does have abs, it saved my life many times in high school. But sorry, I was raised without any of this electronic crap, abs is ok for day to day, everything else goes off whenever I drive the z4
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #55
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa
I suggest you dont do it unless you like flat-spot tires
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #56
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa
I suggest you dont do it unless you like flat-spot tires
Heh, I pay a lot for tires. But when I'm 70 I can look back and smile so I let the rear end spin on a regular basis
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #57
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

ABS, DSC, nice aids IMO for unpredictable conditions (especially wet and stormy).

But they pale in comparison to alert attentive driving and good car control skills. DSC saved my *** on the track a couple of times in my first outings--but paying attention on the road has that outdone by many orders of magnitude, as have improved car-control skills.

Skills and attention can save you when people cut you off or fail to stop for red lights or creep past them (DSC and ABS alone cannot). But they can help in some cases.

Using both organic and electronic components seems like the best of both worlds to me--so I use both. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #58
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Heh, I pay a lot for tires. But when I'm 70 I can look back and smile so I let the rear end spin on a regular basis
You give BMW drivers a bad name. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
ABS, DSC, nice aids IMO for unpredictable conditions (especially wet and stormy).

But they pale in comparison to alert attentive driving and good car control skills. DSC saved my *** on the track a couple of times in my first outings--but paying attention on the road has that outdone by many orders of magnitude, as have improved car-control skills.

Skills and attention can save you when people cut you off or fail to stop for red lights or creep past them (DSC and ABS alone cannot). But they can help in some cases.

Using both organic and electronic components seems like the best of both worlds to me--so I use both. My 2 cents.
I see no benefit to turning aids off during normal driving. I can post plenty of videos of me auto-xing where a simple blip of the throttle sent the car sideways.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #59
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You give BMW drivers a bad name. Thanks.

Quote:

I see no benefit to turning aids off during normal driving. I can post plenty of videos of me auto-xing where a simple blip of the throttle sent the car sideways.
I'm not a BMW driver, I'm a Porsche driver, I just maintain my mother's BMW whenever it has a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #60
psygnosis
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
You pull a fuse, anyone who does this when not on a track is a giant fucking idiot.
      07-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #61
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
We agree. I've done that in AutoX as well.

My point was that organic (human brain, car control skills, being aware--forward, behind, alongside) plus electronic (DSC, ABS) is a winning combo on the street. Too many variables on the street, and I'll take all the advantages I can get.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #62
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I guess i am not braking my car correctly

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #63
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Nothing like watching the dsc come up like a Christmas light when you're going sideways in the rain or trying to power up a hill in the snow and the dsc wants to kill all the power to your wheels cause it can't decide which one is slipping more. There's some small grey area where dsc does help keep you inline but once you go way past that dsc will start fighting you in ways that may be unpredictable at best so I'm not convinced that it is necessarily a must for inclement conditions either.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #64
psygnosis
Major
Rep

I leave it on until it gets in the way.

If it gets in the way all the time..well you're probably perpetuating the stereotype.
      07-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #65
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Nothing like watching the dsc come up like a Christmas light when you're going sideways in the rain or trying to power up a hill in the snow and the dsc wants to kill all the power to your wheels cause it can't decide which one is slipping more. There's some small grey area where dsc does help keep you inline but once you go way past that dsc will start fighting you in ways that may be unpredictable at best so I'm not convinced that it is necessarily a must for inclement conditions either.
That's not what DSC was designed for anyway.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #66
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
I guess i am not braking my car correctly
Track shouldn't be kicking in ABS.

From what I was taught, brake hard enough to where you're at the limit of the tires and ABS needs to do work. It's the fastest way to stop.
Appreciate 0