ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
bimmerbluestick
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

Rear End Collisions

I've searched the internet seeking information or safety ratings for z4's when they are the victim of rear end accidents. Noting the short rear end in relationship to the interior, they certainly appear dangerous for the occupants. All rear end accidents can be detrimental to the occupants - are z4's more prone to serious injury? Particularly the 03 - 06 years? Are there safety ratings available? Have any of you ever been involved in such an accident (If so I hope you are well)? I have searched this site for this information with no success.
Thanks so much - bimmerbluestick
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Can't say I have much info on this. But my insurance is cheaper on my Z than it is on my 325i sedan. Insurance company said they see much fewer serious injuries on the Z. Having said that the Z4 has much lower production numbers and is driven far less by most people. I'm confident in it though, I can't recall any truly unsafe chassis that BMW has produced. It's not an RSX after all haha
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
FearTheTree
Rep
Drives: E85

The Z4 is never going to be as safe as the heavier and bigger cars. Getting rear ended would have a predictably similar result as with any other two-seater sports car. With these cars, you have to drive with the "bike" mentality, which means being more vigilant.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

^^whs you have to be very vigilant when driving these cars... Especially in the south where everyone drives gigantic lifted trucks who don't know how to drive..

One time someone ran me off the road all due to the fact that they didn't check their mirrors and can't see a tiny little Z.

"Bike mentality" is a must with these cars. Unfortunately, when you're driving that way, people also think you're just driving like a dick.

I can't say the Z's are death traps.. But surely you have to understand that these cars are very very tiny. And nearly any sort of accident with a larger car is going to be more dangerous than if you were in something a little bigger. Just be safe out there and check your surroundings.
      08-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
NTSB.gov
      08-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
itdnwiwbp
Major