ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
Epwebb64
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe

Z4M Coupe Newbie!!!! I have a few questions...

Just bought a Z4M Coupe. Blacke/Sepang brown. 2 owner, 39k miles, for $28k. No paintwork other than front bumper. Not a single ding in it. I think that's a really good price. Found it at a Dodge dealer??? LOL Traded in for a Hellcat. Anyway, long time BMW guy here but first Z4M so I have a few questions. Hope ya'll Can help me.

1. Power locks don't work with remote. When I use the key in drivers door the passenger side doesn't unlock. Not sure whats going on there so can anybody shed some light on it?
2. Sunglasses compartment latch is broken. Looks like its rather common. Any alternative fixes to buying a whole new one for $300?
3. Are there any seat covers made anywhere for this car???? Seats are mint and I want to keep them that way.
4. Exhaust...it doesn't sound like the stock exhaust that's for sure (sounds wonderful) and the bottom of the the exhausts have "ei" written on them. Eisenmann??? I cant imagine these are stock.
5. M/// Red needles don't light up at night with the lights on. Aren't they supposed to? Maybe the needle lights & locks are related?

Thanks guys. I love this car!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Congrats & welcome!
Sounds like you found a good one with those low miles.

1. Its probably the key has lost its charge and needs to be charged and re-programmed. (charges in the ignition)
or , how close to the car are you? they don't have much range.
There are several programming options for unlocking, sounds like yours is 2 pulse to open all. (with key)

2. i haven't seen a quick fix for that one

3. I'm sure there are, someone may chime in with recommendation. (not a fan myself)

4. Eisenmann is one of the more expensive aftermarket exhausts, they sound great.

5. needles dont light up that Im aware of. (had to think about this one, dont drive much at night)
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Epwebb64
Enlisted Member
Rep

So the the needles dont light up red at night but stay gray? The red line looks black in the center of the needles at night look black?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

the needles don't light up, there is just the gauge background lighting.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
Patrick Gent
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Sunglass holder--there was an outfit in Britain that sold a replacement latch, but it is a very old Ebay ad and now says no longer available. I can't imagine who engineered and manufactured a fix like that with so few potential buyers (holder is unique to M Coupe) but I gave up the search for another source for that fix--you may have more patience than I. No luck at all from many online junkyards. Finally ordered from Tischer (GetBMWParts.com) where, less their discount and plus their shipping, it came out right near $300, the cheapest I could fined. And there are none in the US, back-ordered from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
Epwebb64
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info. Does this particular key lose its charge? I drove the car home (2hrs) and it still doesnt unlock the doors.😡
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epwebb64 View Post
Thanks for the info. Does this particular key lose its charge? I drove the car home (2hrs) and it still doesnt unlock the doors.😡
You may need to drive the car for an extended period of time to get sufficient charge if the battery is really discharged. Given the key's age, it might be worth visiting the dealer or going online to get a replacement key. They're not cheap, but that will probably be the best / fastest solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

There is someone around who replaces the battery in the key. As long as you have not messed it up yourself trying to fix it. https://www.bmwgm5.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:31 AM   #9
mcoupe08
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

It sounds like you have a separate issue from the key if they passenger doesn't lock/unlock when you insert the key in the drivers side door. Does the door lock/unlock button inside the car work when pressed?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #10
mcoupe08
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Also, I think the older versions of the rogue engineering diablos had RE stamped on the bottom. That's the only company I can think of that has a two letter branding. I don't think I've ever seen eisenmann refer to their products with ei. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 01:06 AM   #11
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Did you turn the key twice? Once opens the drivers door, twice opens the passenger door.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #12
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epwebb64
Just bought a Z4M Coupe. Blacke/Sepang brown. 2 owner, 39k miles, for $28k. No paintwork other than front bumper. Not a single ding in it. I think that's a really good price. Found it at a Dodge dealer??? LOL Traded in for a Hellcat. Anyway, long time BMW guy here but first Z4M so I have a few questions. Hope ya'll Can help me.

1. Power locks don't work with remote. When I use the key in drivers door the passenger side doesn't unlock. Not sure whats going on there so can anybody shed some light on it?
2. Sunglasses compartment latch is broken. Looks like its rather common. Any alternative fixes to buying a whole new one for $300?
3. Are there any seat covers made anywhere for this car???? Seats are mint and I want to keep them that way.
4. Exhaust...it doesn't sound like the stock exhaust that's for sure (sounds wonderful) and the bottom of the the exhausts have "ei" written on them. Eisenmann??? I cant imagine these are stock.
5. M/// Red needles don't light up at night with the lights on. Aren't they supposed to? Maybe the needle lights & locks are related?

Thanks guys. I love this car!!!!!
Damn. I wanted that car. You got a good deal. They wouldn't budge below $28,900 for me. And then I'd have to ship it across the country. I'm jealous!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 05:58 AM   #13
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCoupe View Post
Did you turn the key twice? Once opens the drivers door, twice opens the passenger door.
This. Car can be programmed to open both locks, or driver's side then passenger side on the second unlock.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #14
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

how many keys did you get? my 2nd key didn't do squat until i reprogrammed it with the car and first key.