ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #45
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by knsaber View Post
I'm in a huge mess right now. Bimmer Clinic replaced the rod bearings but it didn't solve the issue, so I'm down $2k. I screwed myself by not checking CPO warranty first because I thought it was expired but it turned out I am still covered, however I called North America and because I had the engine worked on by a third party the warranty is void.

The dealer only checked the oil and mentioned there were a lot of metal filings and its better to replace the engine. I'm basically back at square one, wasted money already and definitely out of warranty.

New engine will be $16-18k which is highly not going to happen with me.

I do not want a junked engine.

I might just have to rebuild?
TRADE THE CAR!

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #46
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
From the FTC:

Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs:
Is Using the Dealer a Must?
If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

What is a warranty?

A warranty is a promise, often made by a manufacturer, to stand behind its product or to fix certain defects or malfunctions over a period of time. The warranty pays for any covered repairs or part replacements during the warranty period.

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.
I really appreciate the info, I will see if I can fight it!

So far the service manager has been very helpful except they require NA's permission, and it's NA that's being difficult.
      12-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #47
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

I would get the contact information of the person at NA and give them a call with that information.

Since the dealership is really just a go between, you can't really threaten legal action to the service manager when NA is on the hook.

Heck, BMW NA is just 25 minutes from Fort Lee, I'd take a trip down there to meet with them personally.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #48
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Would CPO warranty have the same legal requirements as any new car warranty even thought it's a limited warranty?
      12-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #49
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Would CPO warranty have the same legal requirements as any new car warranty even thought it's a limited warranty?
A warranty is a warranty.

Yes, the CPO covers only limited, non-wear items, such as engine, transmission, etc. It wouldn't cover wear items like brakes, springs, etc.

Obviously, your problem with the engine isn't a "wear and tear" item. Also, it's not something that happens to a lot of Z4M's.

It doesn't matter if it is a factory warranty on a new car or a CPO warranty. Remember, that a warranty is something that is agreed upon by the buyer and seller. The problem here is getting the manufacturer/seller to abide by their warranty.

There's other legal scenarios at play here, such as warranty of mechantability, implied warranties, etc., but those are really, really long shots and probably wouldn't apply. I don't know much about New Jersey consumer laws.

Basically, you drove the car. The engine broke. You have a CPO warranty that covers the engine/engine problems. You tried to have it fixed at your own expense at another shop. They did not fix OR CAUSE the problem. You now want BMW to fix the problem, which you can prove occurred while under the CPO warranty and was not a result of having a 3rd party work on it.

I'm very curious how this turns out. You MAY want to even consult an attorney at this point. However, if it turns out in your favor, you'll also be getting a bill from me!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #50
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I opted to write a more formal email this time to NA and it got forwarded to the same woman I talked to on the phone, Kara in Customer Relations Department.

In summary it was about the engine started knocking, I brought it to outside shop to replace bearings but did not cause nor fix the problem, then contacted BMW dealer. I also mentioned the FTC laws and Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

She called back and left a voicemail and said she still can't provide warranty.
      12-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #51
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I opted to write a more formal email this time to NA and it got forwarded to the same woman I talked to on the phone, Kara in Customer Relations Department.

In summary it was about the engine started knocking, I brought it to outside shop to replace bearings but did not cause nor fix the problem, then contacted BMW dealer. I also mentioned the FTC laws and Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Is it time to lawyer up?
      12-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #52
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Is it time to lawyer up?
Probably. And having a demand on legal letterhead signed by an attorney is going to carry a lot more weight than a personal letter or email.

I'll bet that BMW figures that, across a large number of cases, a good percentage will give up and not pursue. So they figure it's cost effective to take the "denied" approach, and will put as many burning hoops in the way as possible. Up to now, they've incurred no legal costs; it's pretty cheap to just have the representative say "no" as many times as she (or he) needs to, and hope the customer will just go away.

In this case, they've got this little "you used an indie shop" angle to try to try and run the customer off. (Not that it matters from a legal perspective, as GammaZeta noted, but it's a card they've been dealt, so they're playing it.) I am willing to lay odds that this will be a bit of a fight and require persistence. It's like this with most mfgrs--it's all about bean counting. You have to be a bigger PITA and liability to them than the potential costs they'd incur. Then they'll honor what's on the paper they gave you.

Since the out-of-pocket expenses on this could be high, it's probably worth some money to get legal help to pursue. But knsaber will need to do his own math to make that determination.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #53
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
in case you start looking for alternatives

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M3-3-2L-...a7ecc2&vxp=mtr

or this (local)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=10

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust

Last edited by SCHMOUPE; 12-15-2012 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #54
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Tony, are you a cca member? If so, perrhaps reaching out to the dealer ombudsmen wouldn't hurt from the Nj chapter? This sounds like its gotten way beyond where it should have. Agree with everything folks have said here, they should be honoring the warranty without question. Accepting anything less is not right, especially because your actions haven't voided the warranty.

Disgusting that bmw is making this so difficult. There is another dealership in the area that you might try going thru as well... and I know the Nj cca member who handles relations with them there. Happy to send an Email if you'd like?

Last edited by gtMc; 12-16-2012 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #55
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
any update?
      02-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #56
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
any update?
+1. Anything?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, long story short... as I literally was at the front entrance of a lawyer's office I get a phone call from a friend at BMW who was willing to take my car in to take a look at what he can do, I decided not to go through a lawyer anymore. I honestly didn't believe I could do much to win anyways. This was around February.

My friend's first step was to replace my aftermarket bearings I had just installed with OEM ones so that he could try to claim warranty through BMW, but then told me they were able to read the "black box" from the car that registered telemetry that indicated racing? Whatever, I'm not going to argue. So no luck with warranty, so I went ahead and had him do whatever work needed to be done to get the noise fixed.

Unfortunately we never pin pointed the actual cause of the knock, and I have brand new rod bearings and oil pump. I wasted money on getting aftermarket bearings only to replace it immediately back to OEM.

I was able to finally get my car back the day before Labor Day weekend and had the pleasure of putting over 900+ miles down at Skyline Drive and it drives like new. I am happy I spent less than what I expected the damage to be, and my friend gave me massive discount so I am just looking towards the future of enjoying the car once again.
Attached Images

09-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #58
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Glad there was a happy ending!

Just for clarification, only things changed were:
-Rod bearings (twice)
-Oil pump
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #59
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

wow sounds like a big head ache! glad you were able to get it resolved!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #60
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Glad there was a happy ending!

Just for clarification, only things changed were:
-Rod bearings (twice)
-Oil pump
yeah...
I'm trying to figure this one out too.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #61
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
yeah...
I'm trying to figure this one out too.
+1

but welcome back - im sure you're pretty happy to have it running again!
      09-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #62
abashoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

welcome back. Glad you didnt give up.

So what was the total $ damage?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #63
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abashoe View Post
welcome back. Glad you didnt give up.

So what was the total $ damage?
$2,000 for the first round of rod bearings
$2,500 for complete fix at BMW

Better than getting a junk engine, since mine was only at 30,000 miles. BMW quoted a new engine from Germany is MSRP $16,000.
      09-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #64
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

I was going through the whole story from the first post and was convinced this was not going to end well. I'm glad to hear there's a happy ending!!!

Enjoy!!!
      09-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #65
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
$2,000 for the first round of rod bearings
$2,500 for complete fix at BMW

Better than getting a junk engine, since mine was only at 30,000 miles. BMW quoted a new engine from Germany is MSRP $16,000.
Who did your first round of bearing replacement?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #66
RobertRO
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
Who did your first round of bearing replacement?
And I would add: what was wrong on your first rod bearings replacement (done by Bimmer Clinic, if I understood correctly) and how comes that the subsequent rod bearings replacement solved the problem?
Appreciate 0