ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Grease Removers

So it feels like winter is coming early here in Ontario and thinking of the winter maintenance and mods on my list.

I will have most of the peripheral parts off the engine block to replace numerous gaskets and seals.
I know I have a lot of oil on the block from the oil filter housing gasket leak.
Basically looking for a spray on, bit of scrubbing with a brush and wipe off product.
I do not want to have to use water.

What have others used to easily remove grease and oil.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 10-03-2015 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

gasoline works best..
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
gasoline works best..
Thanks Guido.
It was number one on my list too.
Wondered if there was anything less obtrusive out there just as good.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

If you have a lot of sticky gunk you could get a large tray under your car (like a leaktray for a washing machine or so) and use a commercial degreaser (like they use in degreaser basins/parts washers, something like antol 80 or an equivalent product), a small aquarium pump, a silicone hose and stick that on the end of a brush and start brushing away. (fill the tray with the degreaser).

But that's a different kind of cleaning than using a rag with some gasoline.

Diesel fuel is also a good cleaner (for grease etc), but it's an oil in itself. So it stay's a bit oily.
Great for washing out bearings etc.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

There is not a huge amount of caked on oil/ grease.
The underside is very clean, the filter housing seal started leaking at the beginning of this summer, so really just oil from there and road grime to be removed.
I have read that oven cleaner works but I think I'd rather breath gasoline fumes than that crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Oven cleaner is a very strong base/alkaline (sodiumhydroxide).
That can react with the aluminium from your block.
Not that it'll eat through it, but it could leave white corrosion stains.
(and the more it evaporates, the stronger it gets)

So I wouldn't use that unless you know what you're doing.

If you use gasoline, do it in a well ventilated area, and wear gloves if possible.

You could use brake cleaner, but that evaporates very quickly and has far less dissolving powers, so is far less effective.

Don't use stuff like acetone or paint thinner, as they can dissolve some plastics and wiring.
All plastics used in the engine bay are usually gasoline proof.

The safest stuff is like an automotive all purpose cleaner and a brush, but that's not as effective.
Gasoline usually dissolves grease/oil by just spraying on it with a spray bottle.
If I spill some brake fluid or something like that, the first thing I use is a spray bottle with gasoline.

you know, something like this:

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-03-2015 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Roadster

I just use store brand spray on degreaser on whole engine and spray off with pressure washer. Scrape, squirt, brush, squirt heavy areas. Let set on warm engine for 20 minutes, misting with pressure washer if getting too dry. Pressure wash clean. Repeat in areas if necessary. Close hood and let car idle for 15 minutes. Take easy 10 mile drive. Open hood, wipe down plastics, let all else air dry.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Simple Green or a similar degreaser works great for me. I use a cheap alternative I get at the local Big Lots discount store called Greased Lightening.
Appreciate 0