ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

'06 Z4M Roadster Price feeler?

What would you guys say is "fair" market value for the following:

- 2006 Z4M Roadster
- 53000 km (33000 mi)
- Second Owner
- Never winter driven
- Condition: 9.5/10
- No navigation
- AutoSolutions SSK, AFE Intake, Stromung Exhaust
- Tires in good shape (were replaced around the time I bought it @ 37000kms)

This is a Canadian car, but I'm curious what the price ranges would be. Seems like these cars are actually going UP in price.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Nice car. The biggest mistake you could make is by selling it.

To me, the Z4M is one of the best values as far as used performance cars go. I plan on owning mine until the wheels fall off, I'm not joking. I'm tired of car payments, I'm tired of new techno crap gadgets that take away from the driving experience, and there's nothing new which appeals to me in the slightest (a P1 is obviously not realistic lol).

With that being said, what shocks me about the Z4M is that a Z3M with the S54 is priced closely in comparison. To me, this is completely insane because the Z3M isn't 1/10 the car the Z4M is (yes, I owned 4 Z3Ms so I'm speaking from experience). Due to the value the Z3M has held, and the fact the face lifted Z4 didn't receive an ///M version, I really think the value of our cars will hold their present value. I don't see them increasing, but I think we've hit the bottom as far as values will go. This of course doesn't include cars with 150K miles or whatever which will go for relatively pennies.

I think a good place to start with your car right now is around $24k (US) and work from there. I picked up my second Z4M last summer, with 55k miles on it for $20k, and that included a TON of new parts (all new brakes, 3rd brake light, floor mats, tires, etc.) For the dealer to put that much in the car, he probably bought it in the $14-15k range. The car was on his lot for ages, and with the speed he sold it to me, I feel like I probably could have got it for around $18.5-19k. I mean, he bit on my $20k offer INSTANTLY (the car was listed at $23k). This was also in the middle of summer, July.

Don't be in any hurry to sell your car, these are difficult cars to sell and the right buyer needs to come along. Your car is a nearly 10 year old BMW, which downright scares the living hell out of 99% of buyers. Add in the fact it's a two seat toy, and you just lost another .99% of buyers. The other bad thing, a VERY bad thing, is that banks generally won't make loans on vehicles eight years or older (some banks are like six years max). So now, you have a car that very few people want, and they need to be CASH buyers. People who have that kind of cash lying around generally go with newer/more expensive cars. It's just a very, very difficult sale.

Just keep the car, you won't find anything better for the price. People still ask me all the time if I just got the car, the Z4M is holding it's styling very, very well.

Last edited by NickyC; 09-20-2015 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Very well put.
      09-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

The only time you won't regret selling it is if you're planning on getting an M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I guess that's kind of where I'm at. Its my 3rd vehicle (so not my DD), and I'm not in any "hurry" to sell it. One of my wife's patients has fallen in love with it and gave me a decent offer ($28k CAD), but I'm really wavering on what I want to do with it.

I maybe put 2000kms this year on it, because my kids are 4 & 6, and we've been out of town a lot, so I thought it may be a decent opportunity to get out of it now, while it is still holding value, and then in a few years maybe get into something.

The thing is; there is NOTHING on the market right now that even remotely interests me (new or used), so I don't think the situation would change in a few years. Maybe a Jag Type-F or a Stingray 'Vette in 3-5 years.

That being said, its not getting much use; so I'm torn.

I wouldn't put the car up for sale, but this buyer is chomping at the bit for it, and as NickyC has stated, these may be tough cars to sell if I'm actually looking for a buyer (not to mention the headaches of dealing with idiots).
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I always said, "That NickyC, he one smart kookie!"

seriously man, well said mate, well said..

That "No Nav" is a serious plus for people that know the car, probably a big off put for Joe Blow though.
if i could get rid of the stock nav, while retaining the computer function, that would be cool..
      09-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #7
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

Don't be in any hurry to sell your car, these are difficult cars to sell and the right buyer needs to come along. Your car is a nearly 10 year old BMW, which downright scares the living hell out of 99% of buyers. Add in the fact it's a two seat toy, and you just lost another .99% of buyers. The other bad thing, a VERY bad thing, is that banks generally won't make loans on vehicles eight years or older (some banks are like six years max). So now, you have a car that very few people want, and they need to be CASH buyers. People who have that kind of cash lying around generally go with newer/more expensive cars. It's just a very, very difficult sale.

Just keep the car, you won't find anything better for the price. People still ask me all the time if I just got the car, the Z4M is holding it's styling very, very well.
Very good points. I never thought of that before.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
i paid $26k from a dealer about 6 months ago for the same car w/22k(bone stock)
      09-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Very good points. I never thought of that before.
Well exactly; so that puts me in the exact same position again. I have a motivated buyer that would make this sale easy as pie (he wants the car bad). I really like the car, but haven't been using it to its potential.... so do I keep it just for the sake of keeping it, or take the opportunity in front of me now?

Again, I wouldn't list it myself, especially not right NOW, the question comes down to whether I should take advantage of this easy opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
Well exactly; so that puts me in the exact same position again. I have a motivated buyer that would make this sale easy as pie (he wants the car bad). I really like the car, but haven't been using it to its potential.... so do I keep it just for the sake of keeping it, or take the opportunity in front of me now?

Again, I wouldn't list it myself, especially not right NOW, the question comes down to whether I should take advantage of this easy opportunity.
I was in a similar situation a few months ago. Had the Z as a 3rd car and rarely drove it. I did think about selling it and had I gotten a good offer at that time I might have. However stuff came up with the house and I needed some $$ to make repairs and I ended up selling one of the cars (mainly because it was the best one to sell financially) so now I just drive the Z as my daily again and I don't regret it at all.

One of the reasons I had 3 cars was not to put too many miles on the Z. However I have now accepted that I love driving it and honestly there is nothing out there I would rather drive every day (that I could afford). So I will drive it until the wheels fall off and not worry about it's value any more.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Maybe tell the person who wants it you will take 30K and see what they say? 28K CAN is only $21k USD. IMHO way too low for a 33k car in excellent shape.

As an aside I need to go to Canada soon as that exchange rate is great for us....
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC

To me, the Z4M is one of the best values as far as used performance cars go. I plan on owning mine until the wheels fall off, I'm not joking. I'm tired of car payments, I'm tired of new techno crap gadgets that take away from the driving experience, and there's nothing new which appeals to me in the slightest (a P1 is obviously not realistic lol).

With that being said, what shocks me about the Z4M is that a Z3M with the S54 is priced closely in comparison. To me, this is completely insane because the Z3M isn't 1/10 the car the Z4M is (yes, I owned 4 Z3Ms so I'm speaking from experience). Due to the value the Z3M has held, and the fact the face lifted Z4 didn't receive an ///M version, I really think the value of our cars will hold their present value. I don't see them increasing, but I think we've hit the bottom as far as values will go. This of course doesn't include cars with 150K miles or whatever which will go for relatively pennies.

I think a good place to start with your car right now is around $24k (US) and work from there. I picked up my second Z4M last summer, with 55k miles on it for $20k, and that included a TON of new parts (all new brakes, 3rd brake light, floor mats, tires, etc.) For the dealer to put that much in the car, he probably bought it in the $14-15k range. The car was on his lot for ages, and with the speed he sold it to me, I feel like I probably could have got it for around $18.5-19k. I mean, he bit on my $20k offer INSTANTLY (the car was listed at $23k). This was also in the middle of summer, July.

This was very well stated, and well thought out.

If I could add something, I would venture to say that in the very near future certain BMW M cars will see a serious bump in value in the marketplace.

For example, the E85 M Roadster was built in limited numbers.

How many of E85 Z4 M's were produced? For North America there were exactly 3,041 produced from 02/2006 through 08/2008.

With more electronics and the "drivers experience" siphoned out of cars, the mechanical feel and sound of older M cars will be highly desirable by a lot of people and that should include collectors.

This only my $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

^ Agree with all above.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

I love my 07 Z4M DD w/54.5K miles....it's a 9 out of 10....very clean; there isn't a day that opening the door and settling into the awesome performance seats doesn't bring a smile....pay off occurs in Dec 2015....as the second owner, I am keeping it as well....
      09-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Maybe tell the person who wants it you will take 30K and see what they say? 28K CAN is only $21k USD. IMHO way too low for a 33k car in excellent shape.

As an aside I need to go to Canada soon as that exchange rate is great for us....
Yes, well the equation is a little skewed by the fact that the exchange rate changed rather dramatically. When I bought it in 2012, I paid $31K, and that was much cheaper than in the US, even with the better exchange rate back then.

Additionally, the season is much shorter here, and vehicles tend to hold their value worse because of our winters (despite the fact that these sorts of cars are never driven in the winter).

I think I might hold off either way until the spring, and re-evaluate the situation then. Last thing I want to do is "jump" on something before I feel fully committed to parting ways with her.

On the flip side, as the first reply noted, these are going to be increasingly difficult cars to sell as they age, without the proper motivated buyers.

Side note: for kicks, I went out and test drove a Jag Type-F S. Nice car, but to quote deemo319: "drivers experience siphoned out of cars" pretty much sums it up. It feels very disconnected from the road compared to the visceral connection of the Z4M. Kind of sad really that for 4X more money (they want $100k up here for a new one of those), it wouldn't really feel like an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #16
Z4dugh
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 Z4 MC

Garage List
There is one listed for sale currently in Calgary $23,900 72,000 km, auto trader for sale by a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4dugh View Post
There is one listed for sale currently in Calgary $23,900 72,000 km, auto trader for sale by a dealer.
Yes, I've looked on Auto Trader. That's a crap shoot. Nation-wide search:
2006 / 109k @ $22,350
2006 / 69k @ $28,000
2006 / 46k @ $29,500
2006 / 42k @ $37,000

Prices are CAD; Based on this, I'm not sure if a price of $28k, with no hassles is a "deal" or not. Moreover, I'm not even sure if I want to get rid of it...I'm going on a road trip with the Mrs. this weekend, so we will see how the other lady in my life performs...maybe I'll get some clarity
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #18
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Also; not sure if my mods (SSK, AFE, Strumung) add or take away value. I'd rather not "part out".
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #19
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Also; not sure if my mods (SSK, AFE, Strumung) add or take away value. I'd rather not "part out".
In my experiences, parting the car out will always get you more money out of the car in the end. Nobody is ever going to pay fair value for the car, plus whatever you put into it. Sure you may make a bit more than a stock car, but everything once again has to align perfectly. Parting a car out is always the way to maximize your money.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
In my experiences, parting the car out will always get you more money out of the car in the end. Nobody is ever going to pay fair value for the car, plus whatever you put into it. Sure you may make a bit more than a stock car, but everything once again has to align perfectly. Parting a car out is always the way to maximize your money.
I don't disagree with that.; especially since otherwise I'm stuck with useless stock cans and intake.... just need to do the mental math if its worth it time wise.... guy loves the car as is (with the said mods), and the price offered isn't terrible considering it is "no hassle".
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MCoupe,3.0Si R,E61 535xiT

@NickyC, you nailed it in your answer. These cars are a keeper.
I just paid $17.5 for an Interlagos/ dove/ black top/ wood interior trim '06 @ 94k that was in A1 garage kept time capsule physical condition, needed tires, brakes and a bunch of regular maintenance, shocks and struts, brakes, coolant, major service, etc, but the seller was behind on a loan and nearly desperate to sell. Otherwise in the SF Bay Area market, can't touch a car like this for <$25K.
In ten years I'm sure I'll get at least $15K back from it, if not more than I paid. Turbos be damned, these S54's are still the most intoxicating powerplant BMW ever has, or may ever, sell in a normal street car.
      10-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #22
66 6
Rep
Drives: Still looking of the right one

You are selling a vert in the wrong season. You need to wait for the first "top down Spring day" if you have those in Canada.?. I just went through the opposite trying to sell a hard top in the summer. No bites, First cold day here in Maryland and people are gouging each other to buy it..

As for parting out. I've been parting out E36 verts for the past year. I make 4 times the money in parts compared to what I buy them for. While that would not be the case with a Z4m, the Z4m specific parts will bring the $$$$.

Unless you have to unload it, sit on ti til the spring and just leave the sale though open. I always make more money on something when I'm not trying to sell it.....
Appreciate 0