ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 atacama yellow Z4 35i

Steering weirdness

Hoping to get some input on some strange steering issues on my z4 3.0si coupe.

Recently I redid the entire front end: struts, strut mounts, bumpers, lower control arms, control arm bushings, tie rods, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, motor mounts, and transmission mounts.

While driving on the highway I have a lot of play in the steering wheel when it is centered, resulting in no immediate turning of the car, and there also seems to be more resistance when turning the wheel to the right vs. the left. The issue persists after a 4-wheel alignment. Any ideas? I don't *think* this issue was there before I replaced the suspension components but cannot be sure. Is this the "sticky steering" commonly seen in z4's? Or simply the slushiness of the EPS on the non-M model? Edit: also wanted to share that there is pretty significant tram-lining, where the steering wheel grabs hold of a rut and turns on its own. Not fun on rough roads. Tires are falken azenis, about 10k miles in.

Thanks, as always!

(and just for fun, here's a pic after a wash/wax yesterday)

Last edited by jeebus87; 10-05-2015 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

i got no idea on your issue, but geepers /that/ looks nice
      10-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Are those wheels OEM? What style are they?

BTW, I also have the same tramlining issue as you do. I thought it was normal for these cars. I almost drove it right off the road the first time I peeled out of my neighborhood. I didn't expect the steering wheel to turn so hard to the right on its own while I was physically trying to turn it left. It's like the car has a mind of its own. Now I just drive with both hands when I'm going over 30mph. One hand is too dangerous when the car finds a rut and wants to follow it into a ditch.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They are CSL replicas by Sportline. I like them quite a bit.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this and hopefully we can figure it out, because I agree: right now, unless I'm on a perfect road, two hands on the wheel is an absolute must to have some semblance of control.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
KozyZ4
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Sounds like the sticky steering to me. Do you notice it more when it is hot out?

I did the fix on bimmerforums and it made a ton of difference. Not completely gone but much more confidence in driving.

Edit: Twixboy is right, I didn't look at model year.

Last edited by KozyZ4; 10-06-2015 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not really. It's been cooler lately and I've had the car for three Texas summers before I started noticing it. I was just up in Arkansas where it was about 50 degrees in the evening and the steering weirdness was present.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KozyZ4 View Post
Sounds like the sticky steering to me. Do you notice it more when it is hot out?

I did the fix on bimmerforums and it made a ton of difference. Not completely gone but much more confidence in driving.
He has a 2007 though. The problem only affects steering columns manufactured from 2003 through mid to late 2006. It's likely his new suspension parts gave the car a different feel that he's not used to yet. He might also have had high expectations that the car would suddenly feel like a go-kart after replacing so many parts, but new parts doesn't equate to the same visceral feel of an M.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

What are your alignment specs?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
He has a 2007 though. The problem only affects steering columns manufactured from 2003 through mid to late 2006. It's likely his new suspension parts gave the car a different feel that he's not used to yet. He might also have had high expectations that the car would suddenly feel like a go-kart after replacing so many parts, but new parts doesn't equate to the same visceral feel of an M.
Uhhhh. Wtf? The suspension is great, the steering is not. Try again.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #10
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
What are your alignment specs?
In theory everything is currently within specs

Front left camber: -0.6
Toe: 0.15

Front right camber: -1.0
Toe: 0.14

Rear left camber: -2.1
Toe: 0.17

Rear right camber: -2.2
Toe: 0.10
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I'll go with alignment-- I've found pretty significant changes in tramlining and on-center behavior of the car between an "within-spec" and an "on spec" alignment.

Had a hard time finding a shop that could repeatedly get me the desired results without repeat visits for less than $200 a shot, so just started doing string line front end alignments myself-- tedious, and I'm working at about the limits of the equipment (looking for 1/32" of toe in, front of rim to back on 17" wheels), but at least if I have to do it again, it's all on me.
      10-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karacticus View Post
I'll go with alignment-- I've found pretty significant changes in tramlining and on-center behavior of the car between an "within-spec" and an "on spec" alignment.

Had a hard time finding a shop that could repeatedly get me the desired results without repeat visits for less than $200 a shot, so just started doing string line front end alignments myself-- tedious, and I'm working at about the limits of the equipment (looking for 1/32" of toe in, front of rim to back on 17" wheels), but at least if I have to do it again, it's all on me.
Okay, thank you. I actually have a date with my alignment place to install TPMS this weekend so I'll have them put the car back on the rack and see if they can do better.
Appreciate 0