ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

.::DIY: OE AUX Install - Blind Install photos that help::.

Not a full DIY writeup, but I just installed mine and reading up on other threads I noticed some good pictures were missing. These will hopefully help those trying to do the install 'blind' by showing how the plug on the back of the radio is setup and located. All photos are uploaded for easy viewing AND attached for good keeping.

This has been covered several times, but if you do find yourself with any questions, feel free to ask and we'll see if I can help.

- Jake

Parts:

- OE AUX Ashtray setup
- Average sized Phillips head screwdriver (long shaft/handle is best)
- Plastic panel removal tools
- Small flat head screw driver (Only if removing HVAC vents)

I purchased the OE AUX from Mike at TheBMWPartStore.com (Ohio dealership), a great old school business man with prices that more times than not, beat the competition. I highly recommend him.

OE AUX Ashtray P/N 82110142174 - $71.40

- First, I removed the old ashtray by lifting up on it.

- Below the original ashtray is a single phillips screw holding the housing down. Remove that screw and pry up on the housing and set it to the side.

- Using a panel removal tool, pry off the panel underneath the radio. The top portion *pops* out while the bottom section has 90 degree clips holding it on, so free the top then pull out/away and up to free the bottom.

- Take your new AUX ashtray piece and prep it for install, making sure the wire is ran through the base of the ashtray housing, under the console and up to where you can reach it in the void under the radio.

- Now, if you're going to do this 'blind', then the next few photos will help orientate you to the radio back and plug.

View of the back of the radio; the harness you'll be removing to install the AUX plug is on the driver side of the unit.

- Here is how it looks plugged in (note the hinged release clip that exist on the bottom half. To unhook it from the rear of the radio, slide the bottom of the clip out away from the harness.

- Here is how it will look unhinged. In my case, the AUX plug (already shown installed) will be placed into the driver side bottom most location of the wiring harness.

Note: the flat side of the AUX plug will be facing down, while the side of the AUX plug that has 'clips' and 'rails' will be facing up.

Note: Make sure to route the AUX cable in a way where the hing release can be closed without pinching the cable (ie the same route as the existing wires).

- Once you have the AUX cable plugged into the harness, make sure the hing is still open, slide it back up and onto it's location on the back of the radio, making sure to keep it orientated correctly, and push it on and then close the hinged lock.

- At this point, before you tighten everything back up, it'd be a good idea to give the AUX function a test run to insure the connection is secure and in the right place.

- Retrace your steps in opposit order and enjoy!

Now, if you'd like to remove the vents to remove the radio in whole, then those steps have been covered some, but for shvts and giggles I took some more pictures to show the annoying metal clips that lock the HVAC vents into the dash:

The 'ridge' the metal clips are using to hold the vents in:

BELOW ARE THE SAME PHOTOS, JUST ATTACHED SO THEY MAY REMAIN USEFULL LONGER IF THE ABOVE PHOTOS STOP BEING HOSTED.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0