ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Dallas, Taxas members' help is needed to check out this m-coupe!

Hello guys,

I am a member from Toronto Canada and currently in shopping for a M coupe from Dallas. I have already made a deal and onlything left is to send out the money but I am just worried sick to buy the car without even test driving it or seeing the car in person.

Hence why I need fellow members' help who live in dallas. If you can just spare couple hours to check out the m coupe for me! I can really appriciate that!

The mc is located in dallas taxas in a dealership by

www.carpointdfw.com

The dealer claims that it is good condition and exterior is perfect!

But dealer will do anything to move this car out so who knows.

Please help a fellow member out!!!

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Hey mpower, I am a Dallas local. I am currently out of town but am flying home today. That dealership is actually right near my work. I could swing by and check out the car if you'd like. Shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

I know you're in Canada, so don't you want a car with heated seats? (Also the CarFax isn't available for it which is a bit odd)
      09-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Hey mpower, I am a Dallas local. I am currently out of town but am flying home today. That dealership is actually right near my work. I could swing by and check out the car if you'd like. Shoot me a PM.
Fantastic! I would really appriciate this! If you can please have it test drive or at least hear how the engine and clutch feels.

Im also concerned about exterior and interior as well like dentsm stone chips and interior seat and handle wear etc. You can just tell the guy(carlos) that you are checking out that m coupe for a friend in Toronto who has been talking to him. lol

Thank you VERY MUCH! You made my day!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep

yeah i know, I would love to have heated seats but my choices of m coupes are very limited as here in canada, it is really expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

You should request a full BMW service report.
I was able to get one when I bought mine.

Is it the one with 67,525 miles on it????
I would definitely recommend a local indi shop check it out before closing the deal.

Also, if you're importing it yourself, be sure to read up on all the "how to" posts out there so that you don't have any surprises.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 09-29-2010 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Wow, 67k Miles. That one is up there. I'll swing by and check it out tomorrow after work for you. My buddy works at the local dealership here and he is very honest. You should request them to do a PPI on it. Completely worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Well I swung by after work today and checked out the car. Here are my thoughts. First off, the car has 68k miles so some wear and tear is going to be expected.

I checked out the car up close and in the sunlight before speaking to anyone. BSM is a nice color, never looked at it up close before. The paint had some swirl marks but that could probably be fixed with some good detail work. I took some video with my phone since it was all I had. Carlos wasn't there when I got there. The salesman was uneasy letting me take the car for a drive which is why he called you.

Took the car for a spin. Car felt pretty good. No clutch slippage at all. The power was there. Popped the hood and I could hear some clicking. Car could probably use a valve job. I didn't see the carfax or service records so I have no idea what maint was done or when. It should of had inspection II at that age I think. Forgot to look to see when the next service interval was due. The brake pad light was ON so either it needs brakes/rotors or they were replaced but the sensor was not. Either way I would have the brakes checked out. Brakes worked fine tho. Car drove good. Didn't notice anything out of ordinary. The area around there is kind of heavy in traffic and didn't get a chance to get on the highway.

I pulled over in some parking lot and took the longer video, really examining it. The worst part I believe is the trim around the windshield. It is really cracked and falling apart on the top and at the bottom where the wipers are, it is warped. I think they would have to pull the windshield to replace this. Didn't see any dents in the car at all, just little scratches. Most of them weren't too deep in the paint. Remember the car does have 68k so it has been on the road a lot. There are like 2-3 scratch/rockchips that are pretty deep but that happens.

The fangs on the bumper are scuffed like someone pulled over top a parking block a few times. You don't notice it from looking at it unless you crawl under the bumper so not really an issue. No holes in the bumper from the front license plate.

The drivers side wheels have the most curb rash but it isn't TOO bad. All tires are the same brand and have decent amount of tread. Has the OEM conti's on them. Thats it as far as the exterior.

Interior is in average shape. The drivers side door sill is dented a bit as shown in the video. No cuts in the seats or anything. No extended leather package. Drivers side seat is wore in. There isn't much foam in the "crack" of the seat where your lower back is. Felt pretty comfy and I had more room than I did in my car. haha. The nav system didn't have the DVD in so make sure you get that. The shift knob had average wear. Floormats were covered in plastic, might have been new. Car smelled aiight. They had some smell good thing in there. Didn't smell any smoke at all. Listened to the stereo for like 10 seconds. It worked like mine does, radio always seemed to be heavy on the bass. I only saw one key, make sure you get two.

That's about it. I can talk to you on the phone or skype if you'd like to ask anymore questions.

I still recommend having a PPI done by the BMW dealership. Classic BMW would be the best locally. They will find stuff to fix because it is their job to create an estimate, so you can use that as a bargaining tool to bring the price lower or have things fixed.

Videos:

Long Review

Orientation is kind of messed up. Sorry.

No Nav

Wheel Damage 1

Wheel Damage 2

Last edited by Blind32; 10-01-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mark, Thank you very much!!! this was more then I expected and far beyond!

yeah, weatherstriping around the windsheild needs to be changed. It is something that you dont really see in Toronto as the sun isnt as strong as dallas I think.

I have decided to take the car for PPI at bmw dealership as you and others have recommended.

As for the nav disk, the guy says he does have it but dont have the spare key. Brake has been changed as well as the sensor so he said.

we'll see what dealer reveals!

Thank you very much sir! and you have made my day! You and another member from the board, Carlos(he was there a day before you, and he also sent me detailed report as well as carfrax), you guys are really wonderful! I hope you guys can make it to Toronto oneday, and I will treat you a nice dinner for you and your partner!!!

I will update my next course of action!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

kudos there blind32, way to help out. hope this works out great for u mpower1226!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #11
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just received the fax from Dallas BMW, car needs rear break and battery is kinda weak. Other then that everything checks out ok by bmw.

So I am going to try to haggle the price a bit for not having a spare key and break.

Update you guys again soon!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^to help with the haggling, here's a couple of links to the msrp of the rear disk brakes and a spare key.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...24&hg=34&fg=10

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...75&hg=41&fg=50

do note that the key itself does not cost $600+, it should be about $150 worth.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately, It turns out that what dallas bmw or should I say, the used car "lot" did was just pay $100 to have a "look" around the car. I have contacted indi bmw shop to actually look what's inside and they found out a lot of stuff. Accident repair gone wrong to say the least. I had a hunch, and good fellows from this board warned me about this dealership and yes it turned out to be very true.

Anyway, I really appriciate all the helps that I got from local Dallas owners and Thank you tons.

My quest for mcoupe continues!
Appreciate 0