ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

V1 Hardwire--need instructions!

I desperately want a V1 in my M Coupe, but I really don't want that power cord hanging down.

I've searched every forum, but I cannot find good instructions on how to tap into the mirror wiring to hardwire the detector.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could provide detailed instructions!

Thanks in advance.
      09-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
search it on e90post. its the same color wires.
      09-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Pull out your center dome light fixture and inside you will see a wrapped up bunch of wires that leads down to your mirror, you have to cut back the insulation and find a wire within the loom I totally forgot what color it was. For my car I had to remove the mirror base and unplug the wiring harness to get enough slack to reach it from the dome light fixture slot. After that it was simple as taping, mounting the power box and putting everything back together.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Is the wire I need red and yellow? Seems like I found that somewhere. I'll search over on e9Xpost and see what I can find. I wasn't planning on doing it myself, but if it isn't difficult I think I'll give it a go.

I just don't want to screw something up!
      09-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Alright, I searched on the other site and found some good ideas. I like the idea of running the power to the fuse box instead of slicing into the mirror wires.

I'm going to see if I can figure it all out before I buy the detector. Seems like it won't be difficult if I can get the cord to the fuse box and find a good place for a fuse tap and a ground.
      09-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Most people just tap into a ignitioned wire within the mirror harness. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish and it hasn't failed me yet. Flawless install too all you see is the wire coming out behind the mirror that plugs into the V1. I can do some digging and find what wire it is I tapped but red/yellow sounds right. I'll double check and let you know, its definitely a DIY job. Not hard at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks, man. I appreciate the help.
      10-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #8
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Where did you guys get V1 and how much? When I check on the offical site there's so many options for V1, and I don't know whether I need all of them or not. In addition, for the price that you paid for, what did it come with?

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

This was posted on Z4um before but since that's gone kaput, this is the only other place that I know of.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ht=garage+door

I love the sound of my own keyboard tapping, so I'm going to quote myself:

Quote:
Here's the tricky part...If you have premium package, the existing wires are on the mirror harness. Power is a green/blue wire, ground is brown, and dimmed power is white/red. Tap into those in the following order: Power is the outside wire on the harness, dimmed power is the middle, and ground is the wire closest to the middle of the UGDO unit. If you don't have premium, you'll need power in a different way. There's a lavender/red wire that supplies power in key switch position 1, and in the overhead compartment there's a dimmed power for the mood lighting that's grey/red.
I know the instruction is for a UGDO, but if you want switched power you need to tap into the same wires mentioned above. Green/Blue supplies power on switched position 2 for the auto dimming mirror. Lavender/Red supplies power in switched 1 position (also known as accessory). You won't have the green/blue wire if your car does not have premium.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
This was posted on Z4um before but since that's gone kaput, this is the only other place that I know of.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ht=garage+door

I love the sound of my own keyboard tapping, so I'm going to quote myself:

I know the instruction is for a UGDO, but if you want switched power you need to tap into the same wires mentioned above. Green/Blue supplies power on switched position 2 for the auto dimming mirror. Lavender/Red supplies power in switched 1 position (also known as accessory). You won't have the green/blue wire if your car does not have premium.
Thanks for the info. I'm still a bit nervous about pulling down the mirror/light assembly to get at these wires. I may just run power to the fuse box. I'll spend some time with it this weekend and make a decision.
      10-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRes View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm still a bit nervous about pulling down the mirror/light assembly to get at these wires. I may just run power to the fuse box. I'll spend some time with it this weekend and make a decision.
Fusebox is the way to go, get the "add a fuse" tap from Autozone, I did it in my e92 and it was about a 15 minute job, and best of all no wire cutting. There is a post about it on e90post that has pictures and some detail, I would imagine it's very similar.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
If you were to do it right, you should run it to the fuse box. You just have to find which fuse supplies a switched power at 5mA, and you have to remove the A pillar trim and the passenger side vent to find the holes to snake your wires through. If you're uncomfortable with removing the overhead map lights, I think you'll probably be a lot more uncomfortable with removing the A pillar trim and air vents.

I run my wires on top of the map light because I'm lazy. Ideally, if you see behind the fuse box that has a green/blue wire, that's the slot you'd want to splice into (switch 2, 5mA fused power)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
If you were to do it right, you should run it to the fuse box. You just have to find which fuse supplies a switched power at 5mA, and you have to remove the A pillar trim and the passenger side vent to find the holes to snake your wires through. If you're uncomfortable with removing the overhead map lights, I think you'll probably be a lot more uncomfortable with removing the A pillar trim and air vents.

I run my wires on top of the map light because I'm lazy. Ideally, if you see behind the fuse box that has a green/blue wire, that's the slot you'd want to splice into (switch 2, 5mA fused power)
I read the post on e90post with pictures and details. Seems like those guys were able to run the wire without removing the A pillar. Of course, we're talking about a different car here so who knows if I can run it without removing trim. I am going to mess around with it this weekend.
      10-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #14
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
I read the post on e90post with pictures and details. Seems like those guys were able to run the wire without removing the A pillar. Of course, we're talking about a different car here so who knows if I can run it without removing trim. I am going to mess around with it this weekend.
They're total HACKS (pardon the pun) if they don't remove the cover to the A pillar. There are clips underneath the A pillar cover that are designed specifically to hold the wire. If you're not going to do it right by using those clips to hold the wiring harness in place you're better off just splicing it into the overhead map-light compartment.

Just a personal pet peeve. If you're going to do something right, do it REALLY right. Otherwise just hack it up like me.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've delved a little deeper into this project, and I have some further questions.

Using a fusetap, does anyone know which fuse I should tap in to? I assume it is one of the 5A ones, but the little card in the box looks like Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Also, I'm not sure I'll have room in the fuse box for the V1 hardwire adaptor and the fusetap. Not sure where to ground it either. The E90 boys have a terrific post for this job--but their fuse layout is different (they tap into the Homelink fuse) and it seems like they have a lot more room to work. I'm going to post over there as well, but thought some of you would have some input.
      10-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #16
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Why dont you guys just tap into the mirror wiring harness? Not only is it easy, it's literally right there..? The blue t-taps that are provided with the V1 are perfect for the job, even after removal a small strip of electrical tape covers up the only "damage" Also pulling down the map light takes a single flat headed screw driver, also doubles for removing the housing on the base of the mirror which gives access to the harness.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #17
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
Why dont you guys just tap into the mirror wiring harness? Not only is it easy, it's literally right there..? The blue t-taps that are provided with the V1 are perfect for the job, even after removal a small strip of electrical tape covers up the only "damage" Also pulling down the map light takes a single flat headed screw driver, also doubles for removing the housing on the base of the mirror which gives access to the harness.
I may end up going that route BUT the car is a lease, and I don't really like the idea of cutting into the factory wiring.

But since you mentioned it, which wire should I be tapping in to? I'd love to see a picture of how this is done so I'll know what to do.
      10-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #18
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

There was a thread that I used but I dont have it saved I'll try to find it. But you use the blue t-tap and tap into either a green/blue (key position 2) if you have premium package or lavender/red (key position 1 "accessory") either will work just fine.

First pop out the center map assembly with a flat head screw driver, unplug it from the wiring harness. You wont find the wire you need in the plug for the map light. The wiring harness you want will be tucked in the back of the hole which the map light fits into. The entire loom will be wrapped in black tape so you'll need to peel it back to find the wire you want.

Clamp the blue t-tap onto the wire of choice give it a good squeeze so it splices and clicks. Plug the red spade connector on the V1 power box into the t-tap and then inside the same hole you should see TWO black screws, I used one of these as my ground, you'll see a black wire ending in a fork which you will place under the screw and put the screw back in. After that run your wiring for the power to the V1, you can squeeze it out between the gap in the roof/plastic lining and the windshield. Using the applied double sided tape, tape the power box and the wires safely inside and replace the map light fixture.

Before this you'd want to power on the V1 to make sure it works. My car is also a lease and this was the easiest, quickest method so I went with it. I dont foresee any problems with taping it up when I'm done with the car. Also my car is an 07 Roadster so the inners behind your map light may be slightly different but you get the idea. Take a look, you'll see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #19
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Here you go, found the thread. Not too many pictures but if you read it a few times when you pull things out you'll see what it all means.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...light=hardwire
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #20
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Can't find the right wire in the mirror!

OK guys, I decided to tap the wiring harness in the mirror this weekend. I took the lights down and found the bundle. But I don't seem to have any of the wires that were suggested to tap! Both red/yellow and green/blue have been mentioned but I don't have either. The closest I have is a red and white wire that seems to have an occasional piece of yellow "paint" along it's length. I'm thinking that is the correct one, but I don't know. Here's what I've found, and a picture.
For reference, this is a 2007 M Coupe with premium package.

blue/yellow, blue/white
purple/white, brown/black
brown/blue, red/white/yellow*
green/white, black/gray
green/brown, yellow/white
red
red/white
      10-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #21
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Do you see a green wire with yellow stripes? You may have to dig around in the wiring bundle to find the one you need. I think any of the mentioned wires will work I'll pull down mine in a bit and see which wire I tapped into.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #22
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I don't see a green with yellow stripe. I do have a purple/white which I've read works just fine if you don't have the premium package. Think I could tap this one? I appreciate the assistance.