ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
Gary07110
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Titanium Z4 3.0si Roadste

Garage List
Unfortunately My Z is my daily drive. We had a pretty bad winter in the northeast. I purchased this 2008 in November of 2010 and at the time it was immaculate, not a scratch on it. Currently my front surrounding my grill on both sides is covered in paint chips. I was astonished and sick by how quick my paint chipped. Luckily it didn't make it's way to my hood. So I'm saving up for some good body work and a clear bra for that area. Meanwhile, I'm washing, claying and polishing like nothing ever happened.
      05-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #24
CobraR1339
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe SG

OK, I'll bite. What makes the Makita better than the PC.

Always willing to add to my collection. Which BTW sounds a lot like yours. Your sig pic shows you know your stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #25
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Just purchased the Flex XC 3401 vrg. Getting rid of the Porter Cable 7424 (non XP).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #26
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraR1339 View Post
OK, I'll bite. What makes the Makita better than the PC.

Always willing to add to my collection. Which BTW sounds a lot like yours. Your sig pic shows you know your stuff.
Makita is a rotary versus a dual action polisher.

The dual action polisher doesn't have forced rotation. Biggest difference right now
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #27
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Agreed about car washing as therapy. That and tennis are the only two things in which I can completely lose sense of time and focus on just what's in front of me.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #28
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
No, it's not about money.

I find that washing and detailing are a form of therapy. It's the only time I can allow my mind to go blank.
+1 - Last weekend I facebooked and tweeted that I was making love to my car, lmao. But for real, I have a VERY stressfull job and detailing simply destresses me like nothing else.

Music, focus, beer and the results... Oh man the Results. I bought a Griots kit
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #29
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Makita is a rotary versus a dual action polisher.

The dual action polisher doesn't have forced rotation. Biggest difference right now
Which is better & why.
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #30
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4mnyc View Post
Which is better & why.
The rotary hands down...but it comes with more learning; and more attention while doing it.

The PC is great for someone that just wants to do their car once a year...at most. You can remove about 80-90% of the defects.

A rotary can remove around 98% of defects, but the risks are much greater. They come with burning through your paint and completely ruining the finish on your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #31
tman53
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos M Coupe

If this is your first purchase then go with an orbital like a PC. You will be able to correct the paint (with a lot of work) but without the worry of destroying it. With a rotary there is a learning curve and learning on a Z4M is not the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #32
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Thanks. I have a PC random orbital & have been using it for 3+ years on my cars so I am very familiar with it. I'm thinking of getting a rotary polisher this year but like you said I have also heard from others that it is possible to burn the clearcoat if you are not careful.
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #33
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4mnyc View Post
Thanks. I have a PC random orbital & have been using it for 3+ years on my cars so I am very familiar with it. I'm thinking of getting a rotary polisher this year but like you said I have also heard from others that it is possible to burn the clearcoat if you are not careful.
It is, but you gotta be careless or just not paying attention.

I ripped paint off a 325i rear bumper. The bumper was re-painted and the owner never told me...so when I hit it with an aggressive combo the paint literally peeled off. Now I just use a PC on plastic parts.

Too scared
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #34
CobraR1339
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe SG

Thanks for the insights.

I have used a rotary style many times, I thought maybe Makita had found a new trick. I used to color sand quite a few muscle cars after the paint was done. Never really trusted anyone else with it. I have a guy I have been using for 20 years to do the final finish after the sand. But we always knew how much paint or clear was on the cars. He also found a unique rotary about the size of a dental drill with pad sizes of 1"-3". I used that to buff the tight areas the big buffer could never reach.

He had me play with the big rotary on one of the race cars that was not all that special. The thing would fling the compound all over the place until you got the hang of it. I borrowed it a couple times for different projects. He actually bought me the PC for Xmas as he said I was too dangerous with his buffer. If I screwed it up with the rotary he said he could not fix it. But if I couldn't get it right with the PC that he could.

So my routine with any car new to me or one that sits outside is.

Dawn wash to strip the wax
Clay the car 2X per upper surfaces

Zaino PC fusion with the PC to clean up light scratches. Takes awhile, but at least the Zaino smells good. . If it still sucks call Dean.

3-4 coats of Zaino Z5 , spritz in- between with Z6
a Final wipe with Grand Finale Z7
It's like glass.. and so slick a fly will break his neck if he trys to land in it.

He has all kinds of magic formulas I have tried. They all work great and got me several best paint awards. Then he gave me some Zaino saying he did not like it that much. I agree his recipe on a laquer or Pure Black with Clear is deeper than Zaino. But for all other metallic colors I like it. Some Pure Reds also come out better with his recipe. I don't know why. Something about glow vs. reflection comes to mind. He does agree the Zaino looks brilliant on most other colors, Whites, Silvers, Medium blues, Coppers, Metallic Blacks, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #35
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

So since there is so much interest in detailing and a lot of newbs who would like to try their hand at it....here is my .0000001 cent

I've owned my makita for about 4 years now and have detailed in total about 15 cars since then(full 3 step polishing). I had originally g
ot into detailing b/c I offroaded my daily drivers that happened to be less than a year old at most, and desert pin stripes weren't appealing to the wife.

The learning curve was tremendous with the rotary and the infinite combination of pads and polishes was daunting. Not to to mention every polish and pad combination reacted differently with speed, pressure, and time to every different car manufacturer, to the color of paint the car was, and the differences between paints even the same color and make. Luckily today the technology is so far advanced that even newbs can get professional results with an orbital(pc, griots, flex) with very little risk. And I have proof of that. This past weekend I thought I'd get one last detail in before my kid arrives(today actually!) But it wouldn't be one of my cars that are easily polished in one step. I took on my moms car that was washed religously every week with dawn and a scouring pad it seems!

This car would truly test my skills and tools. Over the course of a month I was testing on a test panel to see what would work on this paint effectively and efficiently. here was my regimen

Just to let you know, I had no intention on making this a DIY so I didn't take many images, let alone use my iphone....sorry

this is after being washed and clayed

to this after just purple wool and orange.... the green pad cleaned up the minor marring seen in this pic

tools
Makita rotary
PCXP

pads
purple foamed wool
HD UNO orange, green, red

Polishe(s)
HD UNO

protectant
HD UNO poly

First i made a couple passes on with the purple wool/makita

Then I hit it with the orange pad/pc

then the green pad/pc

and then I applied the poly with the red pad/pc
NOTE-the only thing different I would do w/ my non daily driver is use the red pad with the polish and then finish w/ red pad and poly

LOL it really was that easy. This setup made what seemed like black magic and tricks of the trade, easy. I'm waiting on my surbuff pads to use w/ my pc, which will most likely have even better results than my wool/makita combination. I'm going to have most of my supplies up for sale soon.

some of what is going on sale soon...

lake country pads from yellow to black
chemical guys jet seal
chemical guys m seal
zaino(the whole lineup)
menzerna polishes SIP, 106ff,106fa 85
makita rotary
souveran pinnacle wax
klasse AIO
blah blah blah

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #36
Artsontop
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 '05 3.0 Sports Pkg

Amazon has the PC 7424XP at $117.99 plus $20.00 off PC products this month...$97.99 + tax, free shipping...Ordered Thursday, tracking says arriving tomorrow (Monday)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #37
marksbmw
Mark Z4
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4si

Polishing cars

I have the cyclo, Porter Cable and the Flex 3401, if money is a issue get the porter cable, but you get what you paid for. By far the Flex is does a much better job. The one thing I did not like with the porter cable is it's under power and you can easly stop the rotation when your removing wax or sealant. You will not stop the Flex, its much faster. Both the cyclo and the flex have alot less vibration. I have my son detailing cars for a side job. We use the cyclo to put on the sealant and the Flex to remove it. Porter cable is a backup.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #38
Taylorguy74
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M-Sport

Holy thread resurrection Batman!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #39
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorguy74
Holy thread resurrection Batman!
Yeah. On the other hand, it's the holiday season.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #40
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Previous discussions here consistently identified the Porter Cable as the best, bar none. Were they all wrong about that?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #41
Taylorguy74
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M-Sport

I ended up getting the Griots Garage set up. Couldn't be happier with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:09 AM   #42
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

The PC is the best Dual Action buffer. However, you can buy the Porter Cable at Harbor Freight sold under their Chicago Electric for all of $46. I took apart both the PC and the HF one next to each other, they are the same, from the same factory. Same castings, gear, electric parts, etc. The Meguiars g110v2 is also made in the same factory. The Griots Garage version is very similar, but not quite 100% the same.

Best option: buy 2 HF ones, put a 3 inch backing plate on one so you've got both sizes ready to go. I would also recommend replacing the fairly short cort with a longer one. You can buy a 50' extension cord, cut the end off, and replace the factory cord while retaining the factory cord's strain relief thingy. No extension cord to bang against the paint, and it still looks factory.

If you do buy the HF one though, replace the grease in the head. The grease from the factory is very poor, and it will run smoother once replaced. I used standard black axle grease from my grease gun and it gave me a big improvement.

Grease mod: http://www.autopia.org/forums/polish...weak-mods.html
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #43
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

I just wanted to add that despite what many videos state, orbital polishers CAN cause damage if used improperly. Of course it will not create damage anything close to the level of rotary polisher not being used properly. But if you use an orbital on a hot day and leave the edge of the pad rubbing on the pad there may be some light clear coat damage. In any case it's really easy to use if you're paying attention. I used to wax by hand. For some spots I still do but for the most part i'll never go back.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #44
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Griot's Garage for me, works wonderfully.
Appreciate 0