ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-29-2016, 04:04 AM   #1
michaelyang601
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: STI Cayman S Black Edition Z4M

Garage List
Warning light

Saw this tonight, according to the owners manual, this warning light is because of a defective bulb. I checked all lights on the car. I can't find any defective light bulb on the car. Anyone has this experienced before?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 12:02 AM   #2
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

One of the bulbs isn't making proper resistance and your M believes that the bulb is out. The best thing to do is to just get a whole new set of replacement bulbs or you can try going about finding the one that it is by trial and error, it could be more than one bulb or just one bulb on the car. There are some LED upgrades if you feel like splurging that are quite safe (I used weisslicht) but there are other solutions available as well.

Your M sends an electrical signal to all of the lights repeatedly and when it does it reads what electrical current is remaining from the signal that it gave to the bulb. On standard bulbs, you won't see anything, on LEDs they'll almost illuminate entirely. It's quite interesting, but basically this electrical current is what your vehicle is using to check the resistance mentioned above in order to identify if there is not enough current being consumed by the light bulbs themselves throughout the entire lighting system (exterior only) of your vehicle.

Hope that helps.
      05-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
michaelyang601
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: STI Cayman S Black Edition Z4M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
One of the bulbs isn't making proper resistance and your M believes that the bulb is out. The best thing to do is to just get a whole new set of replacement bulbs or you can try going about finding the one that it is by trial and error, it could be more than one bulb or just one bulb on the car. There are some LED upgrades if you feel like splurging that are quite safe (I used weisslicht) but there are other solutions available as well.

Your M sends an electrical signal to all of the lights repeatedly and when it does it reads what electrical current is remaining from the signal that it gave to the bulb. On standard bulbs, you won't see anything, on LEDs they'll almost illuminate entirely. It's quite interesting, but basically this electrical current is what your vehicle is using to check the resistance mentioned above in order to identify if there is not enough current being consumed by the light bulbs themselves throughout the entire lighting system (exterior only) of your vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, that just answers my questions.
THanks
Appreciate 0