ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Basically a massively lifted, blacked out or fully chromed, trucker girl mud-flapped, smoke stack-havin', coal-rollin' full sized pickup truck driven by an overly aggressive, full sleeve tattooed bro wearing a Tapout t-shirt, Oakley Gas-Can sunglasses and a flat-billed baseball cap worn at a perfect 30 degree angle.

Edit: And before anyone gets offended, individually some of these traits are obviously perfectly acceptable. However, when they all come together they're a perfect storm.
Out here in Virginia where I live, we just call them "trucks" and most are flying the Confederate Battle Flag...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #24
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Basically a massively lifted, blacked out or fully chromed, trucker girl mud-flapped, smoke stack-havin', coal-rollin' full sized pickup truck driven by an overly aggressive, full sleeve tattooed bro wearing a Tapout t-shirt, Oakley Gas-Can sunglasses and a flat-billed baseball cap worn at a perfect 30 degree angle.
How about that. I had the same experience in our Z. Guy in an immaculately clean monstrosity of a Dodge with two stupendous compensators sticking up out of the bed* apparently decided that my simple presence behind him at a traffic light was offensive. He drove intentionally slowly, very very slowly, until the road opened up to a passing lane; as soon as I put a wheel over the dotted line he "rolled coal", then began to slowly accelerate whilst continuing to belch smoke and make a great deal of awful sounding racket. Discretion/valor and all that, I let him drive off into the now-tainted sunset. Must be something about Z's that sets them off.

I also had a 458 pull on me at a stoplight. I mean, come on.

I agree though that street racing is incredibly stupid and I do not partake. That is not to say that I don't occasionally flout the law, but I do not street race. Did some when I was a kid, saw enough carnage then.

*I am a pickup truck owner; a Tacoma is my daily driver. For the life of me I don't understand why someone would ruin a perfectly good truck bed by cutting gigantic holes in it and running dangerously hot pipes out of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #25
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Out here in Virginia where I live, we just call them "trucks" and most are flying the Confederate Battle Flag...
I'm from VA. Definitely a different brand of folks there. :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #26
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Quote:

Edit: And before anyone gets offended, individually some of these traits are obviously perfectly acceptable. However, when they all come together they're a perfect storm.
Great description! But you did forget the best "non-compensating" mod of them all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #27
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEY32G View Post
Great description! But you did forget the best "non-compensating" mod of them all.
HAHAHA! How did I forget Truck Nutz??? They're an essential part of the overall picture. Thanks!
      12-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #28
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
You guys are talkin' bad about my kinfolk in those trucks.

We encountered a fender bender, and as we were going around it, a lifted truck nearly ran into me. The roadster sits so low, the entire right side of this fella's truck was a blind spot. In fact, I find since buying the roadster that I am constantly having to take evasive action to avoid being hit by other careless drivers. And I don't want my baby getting any bruises.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #29
ZMCoupe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:

This made me laugh so much!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #30
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
'coal-rollin' full sized pickup truck
Hilarious, I didn't know they had a name for those black smoke belching diesels, but I should have know. They modify them to add extra fuel to belch more black smoke, known as "Prius Repellent" haha.

In the Washington DC/Baltimore area, most people trying to race me are in Asian cars, which most are more bark (or fart) than bite, I just let them have at it and don't bother. Most drivers in more capable cars (Porsche, Jags, etc) don't seem to need to prove anything. There are exceptions though.... The new crop of American muscle, though portly, get more capable each year.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #31
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I can't tell when people are trying to race me. Some cars require a little more throttle to pass.
in which beast they require the least throttle?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #32
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Just imagine how things are here in NE Texas where I am at. The RPI exhaust, black wheels, two seat car, sits low. I have had everything from the Brodozer, Nissan 350Z, Ford Mustang(old/new), Camaro (old/new) pull up beside me or do EVERYTHING they can to catch me to get beside me, then rev their engines. It gets old! I may got 90 on an interstate once in awhile or a few miles over the limit, in basically anything I drive, but the high speed is for the track! It doesn't hurt my ego at all to let these guys blow past me.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #33
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I definitely had trucks breathing down my backside but I never had anyone truly want to race me. Occasionally another M would roll on by me or I would try to get them to goof off on the road when it was clear on wide open highways, but other than that... I've never had anyone really try to race my car. Sometimes I almost wish they did. I even have a RE midpipe and RPIs, let alone euro headers when the car is all said and done! (Mind you I'll probably put the stock cans back on for typical daily driving).

Y'all guys in Texas have a much different experience than me.
      12-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #34
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
I definitely had trucks breathing down my backside but I never had anyone truly want to race me. Occasionally another M would roll on by me or I would try to get them to goof off on the road when it was clear on wide open highways, but other than that... I've never had anyone really try to race my car. Sometimes I almost wish they did. I even have a RE midpipe and RPIs, let alone euro headers when the car is all said and done! (Mind you I'll probably put the stock cans back on for typical daily driving).

Y'all guys in Texas have a much different experience than me.
How old are you guys that are being challenged to race? I haven't had it happen, yet, but I'm middle-aged, so maybe they see the old man in a hat and just figure I'm done with that. I wonder if people are less inclined to want to race a roadster. Maybe that's it, too.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #35
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
How old are you guys that are being challenged to race? I haven't had it happen, yet, but I'm middle-aged, so maybe they see the old man in a hat and just figure I'm done with that. I wonder if people are less inclined to want to race a roadster. Maybe that's it, too.

Salty
I'm a whopping 26 but I'm sure I come across to people as an undeserving high school student in appearance. The car has some aggressive ARC-8 wheels as well, nothing to just snark at I wouldn't think, with some other outer appearance mods.

Never had anyone, not once, try to race me (that wasn't a friend already of course).
      12-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #36
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I've had a few runs, never at a stop light, but always on a fast straight 8 lane (one way) highways.. I generally spot them in the rear view before they pass me.. i sometimes go with them until the legal flash limit, then let them go.. not really interested in racing unless its on the track.. maybe its because i am an old fart also.
Only reason i generally go with them for a little bit is to check out their car, then they floor it and i go.. "Nah....." id rather spend speeding tickets on parts instead. it takes a lot of skill to floor your car in a straight line and yeah its generally kids in ferrari's, lambs or G-wagons.. lots of G-wagons....