ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #23
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You will have better luck getting an automatic Si and convert it into a manual if you REALLY want manuals.
I think there's about a half-dozen 3.0si coupes with manuals listed currently on cargurus.com (Although they aren't listed under 'coupes' because apparently car dealers are morons and think that a roadster is the same as a 'coupe'). Search 2006-2008 Z4, manual, and under 'trim' select 3.0si.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #24
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post
I think there's about a half-dozen 3.0si coupes with manuals listed currently on cargurus.com (Although they aren't listed under 'coupes' because apparently car dealers are morons and think that a roadster is the same as a 'coupe'). Search 2006-2008 Z4, manual, and under 'trim' select 3.0si.
And if you look at the transmission, NONE of them are manuals.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #25
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And if you look at the transmission, NONE of them are manuals.
Interesting. Don't want to get into a pissing match but I think we're not looking at the same cars. Checking the pictures, I clearly see sticks (even some closeups which show the 6-speed knob).

Best deal I see is a private sale in Oregon for an '08 3.0si coupe, gray ext, black interior w/ wood trim (not my taste) with 51.5k for $17,500. And it clearly shows a stick in the 2nd photo. Seems pretty cheap.

There's also a nice monaco blue/black '08 in Downers Grove, IL for $19,985 but it's got a few more miles. And clearly shows a 6-speed stick as well.

Yes, they're somewhat rare but 3.0si coupes with manuals ARE out there. It's not like trying to find a late model Camry with a stick......
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #26
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Don't want to get into a pissing match but I think we're not looking at the same cars. Checking the pictures, I clearly see sticks (even some closeups which show the 6-speed knob).

Best deal I see is a private sale in Oregon for an '08 3.0si coupe, gray ext, black interior w/ wood trim (not my taste) with 51.5k for $17,500. And it clearly shows a stick in the 2nd photo. Seems pretty cheap.

There's also a nice monaco blue/black '08 in Downers Grove, IL for $19,985 but it's got a few more miles. And clearly shows a 6-speed stick as well.

Yes, they're somewhat rare but 3.0si coupes with manuals ARE out there. It's not like trying to find a late model Camry with a stick......
Okay nevermind...I forgot to select the "nationwide" search, hence no manuals turned up within a 50mi radius.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #27
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Okay nevermind...I forgot to select the "nationwide" search, hence no manuals turned up within a 50mi radius.
Heh - I did that myself the first time and was all super excited to find - lo and behold - a 3.0si coupe in blue/beige advertised with a manual only about 15 miles away from me in Round Rock, Texas. Then I started checking the photos and saw it was, in fact, an automatic.

I figure that at whatever time I'm ready to actually buy, I'll have to be looking nationwide.

btw - WTF is wrong with dealers who can't seem to figure out the difference between an automatic and a manual?
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #28
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, Z4MR, M3, E36, M2, 535

The one in Oregon seems a little fishy...its been on and off the for sale list since I started looking. The seller actually raised the price. The one in Virginia is a mess...it was wrecked. The car in NY looks suspect as well...wheels and tires seem to not match the rest of the car.

I'm waiting on Dan to call and see what we can work out.

There is a green one (automatic) in Raleigh that I really like, but holding until Dan and I can chat.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #29
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
The one in Oregon seems a little fishy...its been on and off the for sale list since I started looking. The seller actually raised the price. The one in Virginia is a mess...it was wrecked. The car in NY looks suspect as well...wheels and tires seem to not match the rest of the car.

I'm waiting on Dan to call and see what we can work out.

There is a green one (automatic) in Raleigh that I really like, but holding until Dan and I can chat.
Texted you earlier, hit me back whenever
      12-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #30
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
btw - WTF is wrong with dealers who can't seem to figure out the difference between an automatic and a manual?
Standard Operating Procedure, I'm afraid. A lot of times dealers will list a sporty car with an automatic as a "manual" hoping to catch a few that are looking, since most shoppers who can not drive a manual will ignore the transmission option (only people shopping for manuals will look for manuals), in hopes of actually catching a few manual shopper's eyes.

I actually came quite close to pulling the trigger on an E46 325iT automatic that was listed the same way, they listed as a manual, I saw it, realized it was an auto, but the mileage was too good and the car looked to be in great shape. It wasn't until I started look deep past the glossy veneer did I realize that the engine had recently overheated (repair orders for head gaskets and new water pump ordered at the same time...Not a good sign).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #31
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Standard Operating Procedure, I'm afraid. A lot of times dealers will list a sporty car with an automatic as a "manual" hoping to catch a few that are looking, since most shoppers who can not drive a manual will ignore the transmission option (only people shopping for manuals will look for manuals), in hopes of actually catching a few manual shopper's eyes.
So I guess they're either idiots or simply deceitful. Can't say I'm surprised. Personally, when I click "manual" in the search filter I do it for a reason.

Strange thing though - I've also found cars (recently a local '08 Cayman S) listed with automatic which clearly showed a 6-sp stick in the photos. The porker was at the local Ford dealer though so I'm leaning toward "idiot".
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #32
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
So I guess they're either idiots or simply deceitful. Can't say I'm surprised. Personally, when I click "manual" in the search filter I do it for a reason.

Strange thing though - I've also found cars (recently a local '08 Cayman S) listed with automatic which clearly showed a 6-sp stick in the photos. The porker was at the local Ford dealer though so I'm leaning toward "idiot".
Yeah that's definitely an "idiot" listing. Anyone looking for an "automatic" isn't likely to be able to drive the manual and will only be frustrated to find out that they can't even buy the "automatic" that they found.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #33
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone for providing input. It has been invaluable in my decision. I decided to go with an M. I has all types of recommendations/scenarios ranging from Caymen, WRX, to Corvette and Ariel atom. In the end, I really just wanted an M and everything else was some measure of compromise, at least for me.

I suffer from both pre-event over-analysis and post-action second thoughts disorders...sucks to be a golfer, you play slow and break clubs. So far, I don't have any second opinions about getting the M over perhaps an 2005 E46M with manual.

On to the next set of objectives...couple of tweaks while waiting for spring.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #34
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think I might have found my personal unicorn.

'06 si coupe with manual. Silver with beige interior and no nav. 62k miles. Two owner Texas car with a clean carfax for $14.5k at the bmw dealer in Midland.

I am thiiiiiiiis close to pulling the trigger and joining the z4 community.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:23 AM   #35
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

There are a few unicorns running around...but I worked out a great deal on what so far seems to be a fantastic M car. The 3.0si would have been more than I needed in a track car, but the dice just rolled a different way.

I thought about doing the upgrades myself this fall, but it would have been endless project and there is no interest in parking cars outside while parts scatered everywhere. Gave it to RRT here in Virginia.

So far, the maintenance/upgrades going fine. All 3 Vanos gaskets, bolts, seals replaced, valves shimmed, head gasket, oil control valve, spark plugs, all fluids. Motor mounts, transmission mounts, RE shock mounts, H&R coil over, PS2s, brakes and pads, alignment. All the other bushings seemed to have been replaced in the past and looked good, control arms were original.

Almost went with a complete changeout of the front to E46, they said advantage was more more camber, but stayed original for now. Shouldn't have to worry about the car for a while hopefully. Should be way more than I need for the track. Seems easy to upgrade if I want to go further.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #36
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds awesome. Personally, I'd leave it stock for awhile until you've got a few track sessionsunder you belt. Working to improve the driver will probably be cheaper (and more rewarding) initially than upgrading the car.

Pulled the trigger on my car today. Driving to midland on Wednesday to get my silver '06 si coupe. I could NOT fall asleep last night.....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #37
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
There are a few unicorns running around...but I worked out a great deal on what so far seems to be a fantastic M car. The 3.0si would have been more than I needed in a track car, but the dice just rolled a different way.

I thought about doing the upgrades myself this fall, but it would have been endless project and there is no interest in parking cars outside while parts scatered everywhere. Gave it to RRT here in Virginia.

So far, the maintenance/upgrades going fine. All 3 Vanos gaskets, bolts, seals replaced, valves shimmed, head gasket, oil control valve, spark plugs, all fluids. Motor mounts, transmission mounts, RE shock mounts, H&R coil over, PS2s, brakes and pads, alignment. All the other bushings seemed to have been replaced in the past and looked good, control arms were original.

Almost went with a complete changeout of the front to E46, they said advantage was more more camber, but stayed original for now. Shouldn't have to worry about the car for a while hopefully. Should be way more than I need for the track. Seems easy to upgrade if I want to go further.
Congrats bud, hope to see you down at Summit this year!
      01-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #38
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds awesome. Personally, I'd leave it stock for awhile until you've got a few track sessionsunder you belt. Working to improve the driver will probably be cheaper (and more rewarding) initially than upgrading the car.

Pulled the trigger on my car today. Driving to midland on Wednesday to get my silver '06 si coupe. I could NOT fall asleep last night.....
Congrats, noticed you're from Austin -- one of my favorite cities to visit. Been there 3x in 2 years. Good food, good music and friendly people everywhere.
      01-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #39
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Congrats, noticed you're from Austin -- one of my favorite cities to visit. Been there 3x in 2 years. Good food, good music and friendly people everywhere.
From a native Austinite - thanks. City has grown a bit in the last 40+ years though.

I checked your garage and the mods on your track car. I think it's interesting you've chosen to stay with 17" rims. I'm loving my 3.0si coupe so far. For a car that is a DD with perhaps a very occasional DE event to keep things interesting, what would be one of the 1st performance mods you'd recommend?
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #40
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

From "The HACK" Quote, "I was hooked. As I shake the hand of the instructor that just gave me the ride, He looked me straight in the eye, smiled, and said "the first hit is free." At first I didn't quite get what he was referencing, but now I know.

They're like drug dealers. They give you your first taste of speed for free. Now you're hooked, and you can't get the need for speed out of your system."

I have taken many students out with me (to me I am NOT fast), so far EVERY one has came back with a huge smile, a little nauseous, weak legs and ready to do that again!
HACK you are correct its a huge drug but what a ride!!!

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #41
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

Yes...I'll be ready for the first open day at Summit Point. Almost finished with all the work on the car. I've probably gone way beyond what I really need to get started, but it is winter and I've got time. Only real decision left is to go square or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #42
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From a native Austinite - thanks. City has grown a bit in the last 40+ years though.

I checked your garage and the mods on your track car. I think it's interesting you've chosen to stay with 17" rims. I'm loving my 3.0si coupe so far. For a car that is a DD with perhaps a very occasional DE event to keep things interesting, what would be one of the 1st performance mods you'd recommend?
All things being equal (tire specs, rim width, weight and offset), only improvement I saw with 18s was less rollover effect but that didn't necessarily translate to better lap times. I chose to stick with 17's mainly because of cost and larger selection of tire makes. For a 255 width with stock overall diameter of 25", there are more stickier tires available in 255/40-17 than 255/35-18, and the cost difference is pretty significant. I've been able to get 255/40-17 square NT01's for $600 shipped!