ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-12-2016, 11:27 PM   #23
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Original owner here. '07 Z4MC with no regrets.

Mine started life as a DD, but circumstances (work) turned it into a garage princess for several years. I now use it again on most days as a DD (although my commute is only about 8mi each way), and definitely still a weekend warrior whenever possible. So I've kept it relatively low mileage.

You've lusted over an MC for the last 10 years. Just get one darn it! I'll tell you this... my love for this car has never waned in the last 10 years. And the people who I've met/interacted with on this forum over the years (many are still here) make ownership even more awesome.

Good luck with your search.
      03-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #24
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
ZGirl,

I've been looking at an M2, as well. I'm not sure if I read your post correctly, but if you already have an M2 on the way, and your budget allows both, you have time to wait for the perfect Z4MC to come along. All indications are that the M2 is the car many of us have been wanting from BMW for years, and it sounds like it is going to be an incredibly fun car that you can probably drive for several years and sell it for what you paid for it if demand continues to outpace supply.

Because of the rarity of the Z4MC, it may work out the same, so that if you find one at a good price and keep the mileage low and maintain it in excellent condition, you can enjoy it as a weekend car for years and sell it for more than you paid for it in a few years if you ever decide to move on.

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but here is a site that has listings for the Z4MC, and of course, they come up from time to time in the classifieds here. The perfect one will come along.

http://z4mcoupebuyersguide.com/

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #25
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC
ZGirl,

I've been looking at an M2, as well. I'm not sure if I read your post correctly, but if you already have an M2 on the way, and your budget allows both, you have time to wait for the perfect Z4MC to come along. All indications are that the M2 is the car many of us have been wanting from BMW for years, and it sounds like it is going to be an incredibly fun car that you can probably drive for several years and sell it for what you paid for it if demand continues to outpace supply.

Because of the rarity of the Z4MC, it may work out the same, so that if you find one at a good price and keep the mileage low and maintain it in excellent condition, you can enjoy it as a weekend car for years and sell it for more than you paid for it in a few years if you ever decide to move on.

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but here is a site that has listings for the Z4MC, and of course, they come up from time to time in the classifieds here. The perfect one will come along.

http://z4mcoupebuyersguide.com/

Salty
Yes I recently found that site. They had one amazing one but was just sold!

For now it's either going through with the M2 or buying the ZMC. The dealer allocations haven't been released yet so I'm looking at May or June delivery if I'm lucky. I'll be carless in about two weeks so it'll be hard to wait !

Based on what everyone has said I think it would be better to buy the M2 even if it's not limited production and search for the perfect coupe but since it's a waiting game, it'll be fate if I end up with the Z before the M2. I wouldn't want both simultaneously but eventually I wouldn't mind! I only have a one car garage.
      03-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #26
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Woah you're back
      03-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #27
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii
Woah you're back
I never left really. Just lurked around with my E89s. Lol.
      03-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #28
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I wouldn't buy any 8-10 year old car as a daily driver and not expect some things to break. I also don't see the long term costs on a new M2 will be any less than the used Z4M. Probably less hassles but not less money.
      03-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #29
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl07 View Post

For now it's either going through with the M2 or buying the ZMC. The dealer allocations haven't been released yet so I'm looking at May or June delivery if I'm lucky. I'll be carless in about two weeks so it'll be hard to wait !
If you end up with the M2, you should take everyone who responded for a ride.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post

Salty

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #31
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

That's assuming her stealership won't gouge her with a market adjustment fee!

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1236474
      03-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #32
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Quote:

Salty
Lol, ok. Single men first.
      03-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #33
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter
That's assuming her stealership won't gouge her with a market adjustment fee!

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1236474
Nope! I have a deposit for the car at MSRP (in writing) and on the list at another for $2,000 off but the dealer has no idea when they can even get it.
      03-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #34
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Walk away.

I wouldn't recommend buying an MZ4 (coupe or roadster) unless I feel I absolutely have to have one. Because if you don't have that need, you will be looking to get rid of it within a year or two. The ONLY solace is, the coupe version seems to hold its value well. 8 years after production ceased and they're still easily fetching more than 1/2 of what they stickered for, and it doesn't seem like it'll depreciate nearly as fast as ANY other BMW built in the last 10 years...Probably because it DOES elicit an emotional response and connection from its owner.

Amongst the circle that I hang out with, I can easily find buyers who will drop $30K for my '06 MZ4 Coupe right now. Because to old school BMW people, the MZ4 Coupe represent one of the LAST car built by BMW that was semi-true to BMW ///Motorsports core values (the other is the E9x M3) during the 80's and 90's. But in all honesty? It doesn't have as much oomph as any of the new Ms (heck it barely has the same HP as an M235i...And Torque? forget about it). It doesn't have a back-seat. Trunk is exceedingly small in comparison. For a 3,1xx lbs car it consumes fuel like a 4,000 lbs SUV. Outside of a small circle of people who understands what it is, there's really no redeeming value to it except that it's exceptionally beautiful for a modern BMW (but that's in the eye of the beholder).

Once you get past that though...The intangibles of this car is hard to beat. The naturally aspirated I6 is incredibly responsive and pulls all the way up to 8,000 RPM like no one's business. That 32,xxxNm/º chassis stiffness means it's one of the most precise, short wheel-based cars ever produced. The E36 M3 front end and steering rack it was based on was at one time considered the greatest steering rack ever produced, and nothing BMW has made since has come remotely close to it. The sensation of sitting on top of the rear axle for track use means you know what your @ss-end is doing much better than just about any sedan BMW makes.

So. It's a "special" BMW. It truly is. But just as anything unique in the world, it requires a unique "love" for it. So I say. Walk away. If you have to ask "should I get it" you probably shouldn't. Because there are BETTER cars out there you can get today. There are better cars out there for better value. There are better cars made by BMW NOW that you can get with 4 years, 50,000 miles worth of warranty and service. None of those will you find in an MZ4 Coupe (or roadster).

What you'll find in the MZ4 is a special car, built for a special group of enthusiasts. Until you know you want it no matter the quirks...You should probably walk away.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #35
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
I think the other members have done enough to warn you of the nuances of a used performance car sans warranty. If you are so inclined, find a quality example that was well taken care of and do a thorough pre-purchase inspection at a trusted independent bmw mechanic.

As for daily driving duties. I bought my Z4MC last fall and it is my only car short of borrowing from my fiancee or friends. I drive it every single day rain or shine on the highway, in stop-n-go traffic, on weekend back-roads and at the track. It has been outstanding in all of these scenarios. Yes the car is destine to become a collector car and sit in garages. No, you don't have to be one of those owners. Enjoy the hell out of it and fix/clean it up at the end of the day.

60K miles on the clock (5K of my own) and maintenance has been fair. I say fair because I replaced the hydraulic steering hoses and some other small items, but those were expected. Additional service items thus far have only been brake pads, tires and oil changes. I budgeted for a minor service or two annually and one big one every 10-15K miles.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #36
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You won't have a problem with me.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #37
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Quote:
You won't have a problem with me.

Salty
Heyyy that's my doppelganger .

So I think after everything everyone has said. I definitely want a ZMC. Can't scare me! I will probably just wait until I have more garage space and won't dedicate it as my DD. The M2 will suffice for that.
      03-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #38
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

OP, don't listen to anyone here trying to scare you away. They're like little leprechauns protecting their pots of gold. lol

The Z4M is awesome, though I do feel bad for those Z4MC owners who have a roof. To me, the only version of the car right now that justifies the price is a Roadster as a really nice example can be found for around $20k or so. Anything more than $20k I'd be looking for a newer car (hence forget the Coupes). My Roadster is currently ten years old, and still feels/drives like brand new. With everything I've done to the car, I still get stares all the time, people asking me about it all the time, and nearly everyone who doesn't know any better thinks it's a brand new car. Maintenance has been mimimal, even with the Inspection 2 costs I just paid a few months ago.

There is nothing new I've driven which I like better, unless of course it's like $80k+. All newer BMWs are dead to me, they've lost the plot and the Z4M will probably be my last BMW. I plan on owning my current Z4M until the wheels falls off, or get an 08+ Viper within a couple years.

Get a Roadster!!
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #39
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC
OP, don't listen to anyone here trying to scare you away. They're like little leprechauns protecting their pots of gold. lol

The Z4M is awesome, though I do feel bad for those Z4MC owners who have a roof. To me, the only version of the car right now that justifies the price is a Roadster as a really nice example can be found for around $20k or so. Anything more than $20k I'd be looking for a newer car (hence forget the Coupes). My Roadster is currently ten years old, and still feels/drives like brand new. With everything I've done to the car, I still get stares all the time, people asking me about it all the time, and nearly everyone who doesn't know any better thinks it's a brand new car. Maintenance has been mimimal, even with the Inspection 2 costs I just paid a few months ago.

There is nothing new I've driven which I like better, unless of course it's like $80k+. All newer BMWs are dead to me, they've lost the plot and the Z4M will probably be my last BMW. I plan on owning my current Z4M until the wheels falls off, or get an 08+ Viper within a couple years.

Get a Roadster!!
Coupe or bust! I have no interest in a vert and I've had two e89s. Lol. The coupe is the epitome of a classic sports car to me. Never gets old. if it's going to be my play car, I really don't want to spend more than $20-23k. I've seen a few but high miles which scares me.
      03-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #40
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Coupe or bust! I have no interest in a vert and I've had two e89s. Lol. The coupe is the epitome of a classic sports car to me. Never gets old. if it's going to be my play car, I really don't want to spend more than $20-23k. I've seen a few but high miles which scares me.
Agree on the coupe (sorry Nicky!), but I'm biased. That said, I also agree that with your budget it will be difficult to secure a Z4M coupe that is worthy of long-term ownership. High mileage examples could be OK if they have had diligent maintenance, but it will cost some $$ to get one up to spec, and then there is consideration of fitting new bearings...
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #41
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Why no more than $23k when you have a deposit down on an M2 which costs more than double or are you talking about getting it and something else also?

If I wanted a coupe I would plan on spending more to get a good one.

Last edited by David70; 03-15-2016 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #42
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70
Quote:
Why no more than $23k when you have a deposit down on an M2 which costs more than double or are you talking about getting it and something else also?

If I wanted a coupe I would plan on spending more to get a good one.
Well I have a few options. Buy the m2 and wait to buy the Z when I have extra money. I can buy the Z and save myself a lot until things start needing repairs. I don't want to pay more than 25k (max) because I've seen clean ones with all their maintenance records at that price or less. The miles are simply higher than one that's priced over 30k. I really can't justify spending 30k for a car that's that old even though it is a classic. Also in the event that I totally lose my mind, I can get a mustang gt new for around 30k. Lol.
      03-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #43
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Can you do any of the maintenance work yourself? Some of the jobs are very very easy and will save you a ton if you have some basic mech skills (read as :can turn a spanner) or are willing to learn to do some ;-)

The m zed truely is a beauty to drive, but sucks in stop and go traffic jams. Thats my only quorell.
If you dont do lots of the traffic jam simpsons stuff, id say go for it and never look back.

Love the journey :-P