ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
usaz4mcr8cr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Future Collectibles You Should Buy Today: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Future Collectibles You Should Buy Today: BMW Z4 M Coupe
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/2/2...-Coupe-7732096
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Certainly some polarizing statements in that article for folks on here but here's hoping it's mostly accurate. Not that I have my coupe and barely drive it with it being valuable in the future in mind.
      02-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

There are so many M-car reviews available either in writing or on video, but the Z4 M Coupe is often missing or overlooked. I don't know why, maybe it's suppose to be 'the best kept secret' until everyone wants one...
      02-24-2016, 12:07 AM   #4
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Nice read. While I did not buy the Z4M coupe in 2007 due to hopes for future collectability, I do think that this will be such a car given low production numbers, manual only, S54, last analogue BMW, etc. This opinion will have no effect on how often I drive the car. It won't be for sale.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:25 AM   #5
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Lol... My car became a track car.... Too late for that
      02-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekla View Post
There are so many M-car reviews available either in writing or on video, but the Z4 M Coupe is often missing or overlooked. I don't know why, maybe it's suppose to be 'the best kept secret' until everyone wants one...
Because BMW never wanted to build the Z4 M Coupe. It was only after one of their manufacturing partners, Magna International, showed them how economical it is to build a coupe version of the Z4 using almost all recycled bin parts that they decided that what the hey, there's little to no reinvestment in tooling to build it and the margins on it would be insane.

Little did they realize that once the enthusiasts bought it, no one else wanted a no-nonsense, little frills BMW 2 seat sport car. Their bread and butter is still in converting Civics and Camry drivers into buying the sporty luxury brand image.

Even the original M Coupe, the Z3 M Coupe, sold in very low quantities. Despite all the performance promises of a super stiff, short wheel based sports car...Once the small percentage of enthusiasts snatched it up, no body wanted it.

That's why as early as 2007 (barely 1 year after production started) BMW were throwing $10,000 trunk cash on the car to move it. Imagine, for those that bought in 2007 or 2008 that still own the car, in 8 years it's only depreciated about 30% because they were being sold for ~$45,000. The actual margin on this chassis was insanely high due to practically ZERO tooling cost involved.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

But that's just me

As super cool as the coupe is, I am a roadster person and I normally drive it on top-down days, and I live in a top down climate. I have owned a number of "collectibles" but I seem to wear them out before they became valuable. Wouldn't mind the M roadster tho.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The Z3 and Z4 coupes are certainly more collectible, but I'm with you.
I can't see ever having a hard top here in SoCal.
The wind in my hair. The bees in my teeth.
      02-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #9
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I think coupes and roadsters are both excellent cars to keep long term. If you look at roadsters (many manufacturers) with classic lines, they don't really get dated like other cars. The coupe is similar. It's shape is iconic, it's rare. Our cars don't look like they are approaching a decade or more old the way a typical model does.

It's rare that I can get out of my roadster at a gas station or in a parking lot that someone doesn't pay me a compliment about my car.

I still maintain the best thing is to own both a coupe and a roadster. Or an M2 and a roadster. ;-)

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
I think coupes and roadsters are both excellent cars to keep long term. If you look at roadsters (many manufacturers) with classic lines, they don't really get dated like other cars. The coupe is similar. It's shape is iconic, it's rare. Our cars don't look like they are approaching a decade or more old the way a typical model does.

It's rare that I can get out of my roadster at a gas station or in a parking lot that someone doesn't pay me a compliment about my car.

I still maintain the best thing is to own both a coupe and a roadster. Or an M2 and a roadster. ;-)

Salty
Yes both cars are Iconic. That's why I hate when they keep saying the current Z is "getting long in the tooth" when it is the new eco cars that are going backwards from regulations.

And I have been somewhat surprised when people have come up to me and gushed over the cars appearance. Honestly, I didn't buy it for that but...

And finally I like to think that the E89 is both a roadster and a coupe.

I have a long track record (accidental) of wanting and owning cars that most people don't appreciate, but which become very valuable , so hang in there everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

my wife keeps asking me what I plan to do with my Z4MC since I haven't driven it much the last 8 months.

me: i'm not selling it. I might never get to own another one again for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:50 AM   #12
tswvfueyang
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Roadster

The M coup does have a very unique look, gives the feel of a Supercar. When I bought my 07 Z4M Roadster, I didnt realize there was a coupe version until I looked at the manuals. Enjoying the Breeze at the moment but will probably will trade in for a Coupe in a few years.
Appreciate 0