ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Need an Airbag Error Code Read

Can someone help me reading the airbag error code information below from INPA? From a web lookup I understand the "93A8" hexcode indicates a stage 1 drivers airbag issue but is there any more information that indicates specifically what it might be. I understand it could be a seatbelt pretensioner? A new wire would then be an easy first troubleshooting fix.

Thanks!.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

From what I understand, the error condition no longer exists, but looks like you had a high resistance in something, at least momentarily... Maybe a corroded connector under the seat?

Would confirm with someone else but maybe clear it and see if it comes back...

Here's a rough translation of what you have on that ss:
--
drivers side air bag

-
mileage
power on counter
system error - begin
system error -end
absolute time of error begin - second, minute, hour, month, week, year high byte, year low byte, summer/wintertime

no suitable error code?
test conditions fulfilled

symptom is currently not present but error code was stored
sysem would have raised a warning lamp/light

>>RESISTANCE TOO LARGE<<

-gc
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
elerner61
Major
Rep

Thanks for that information. I cleared the code last night and then started the car for 15 seconds and the Airbag light remained off. This morning I started the car, let it idle for about a minute and then pulled out of the garage. Ten seconds later the Airbag light came on again. I'll pull the code tonight to confirm that it is the same as before.

It would be great if the error information was able to detail which component of the ABS system to focus on. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help out. Does anyone know if using DIS/GT1 might provide more information than INPA? Also, is there anyway to have INPA language all English?

I've ordered some CRC Quick Drying Contact Cleaner. If I don't get any more detailed information, I'll start cleaning the component's contacts starting with the seat and then moving onto the airbag. I've found this thread/video with information on how to interrogate an airbag: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=819717

More information as I've unearthed it:
From an online BMW mechanic, a high resistance airbag error can be attributed to a worn "clock spring aka slip ring aka steering column switch". This is the part behind the steering wheel that allows steering wheel electronics to communicate with the car. BMW part number for Z4 is 61318379091.

Two links on this:

- http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/546e8-...html#re.v/463/

- http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/100791...an-plug-conns/

Last edited by elerner61; 01-05-2016 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

The SRS/airbag system is powered by a single wire connection to battery power terminal by battery. If the connection (wire plug) is dirty it raises the resistance and can cause a fault. Since you have the software to clear the code when the connector is disconnected and cleaned... You have nothing to lose by doing so...

Dirty connection will set a fault.. Both dc_wright and I have had airbag/SRS fault as a result of of this.
      01-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
elerner61
Major
Rep

Ahhh, I do recall hearing about that. I'll check that out first. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
elerner61
Major
Rep

Clearancedriver,

Thinking about and looking at pictures of my Z4M battery (which I changed 3 months ago) it is not very clear which wire/lead I should be focusing on that powers the ABS/SRS system. I am guessing it is off of the second box that is fed from the secondary cable from the positive battery lead? Could you give me some more information on what you cleaned up? Thx.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:16 AM   #7
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I have a '04 3.0j so battery is in a well under the mat in the trunk ... vice in the trunk like yours. Hard to see in the picture but mine was a single red wire that had a connector a few inches from the battery terminal power connection terminal ... Which looks likely to be on the right hand side of the picture you have posted. That connection was what the BMW tech diagnosed as the problem and cleaned.

Look for a single red wire going to either one of the two power connection points shown. That is most likely the SRS power connection.
      01-06-2016, 12:47 AM   #8
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

If you're only getting an error in one stage I wouldn't think that is it. That's just my opinion though. Maybe pop the airbag off the steering wheel (takes literally seconds with a small flathead screwdriver) and check the connections. Maybe something is loose.

Last edited by dfjaws; 01-06-2016 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
elerner61
Major
Rep

Thanks guys. As the error is being reported by INPA as intermittent ("symptom is currently not present but error code was stored") my initial thought is that it is the clock spring. At next opportunity I'm going to reset the error, let the car run for 5 mins and then if no fault try and trigger it by turning the steering wheel. I'll go from there. Will report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:26 PM   #10
elerner61
Major
Rep

Success (well, after 60 miles and four restarts so keeping fingers crossed)! After recovering my XP laptop from a blue screen of death boot problem, I decided to just go in and clean all connections in the steering wheel. I removed the airbag, steering wheel and cleaned the clock spring connection and all other connectors leading back to the steering wheel airbag (after disconnecting the battery of course).

I used CRC Quick Drying Electronics Cleaner spray and connected/disconnected each connector a couple of times to freshen them up and buttoned it all back up. Then I reset the Airbag light using INPA. Along the way I broke one plastic tab on the ignition/directional housing. To be honest, removal/replacement of the housing proved the greatest challenge.

I'll write up a DIY when I get a chance. If the error wasn't reporting as intermittent I would have checked and cleaned the SRS power connection at the battery first.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #11
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Glad to hear everything is back to normal!
      01-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
elerner61
Major
Rep

Another week has passed and Airbag light has not come back (probably jinxing myself right NOW).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #13
MotoM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Another week has passed and Airbag light has not come back (probably jinxing myself right NOW).
Yea if you have a write up that would be great as I'm having same problem. Also how can I connect to my M so I can get codes to troubleshoot. Any help greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #14
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Many of us have some variation of this.
I also carry a Peake Research scanner in the trunk. Good for quick scans and resetting oil and inspection intervals.

There's also Rheingold, but I haven't used it in anger yet. Uses the same "GT1" OBD-USB cable as INPA/DIS/Progman.
      03-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #15
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoM View Post
Yea if you have a write up that would be great as I'm having same problem. Also how can I connect to my M so I can get codes to troubleshoot. Any help greatly appreciated
I'll try to post a write up soon, but your bigger hurdle will be to get the diagnostic software/cable running so you can clear the code.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #16
elerner61
Major
Rep

Finally posted the DIY for this.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...9#post21470619
Appreciate 0