ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
TomHickory
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

need driving Z4 counsel for track day

Track Day Folks - Need some HPDE Driving counsel for first time to use my (new to me for last 6 months) 2007 Z4 3.0si auto with paddles, on the track.

Off this weekend to the new Corvette Museum Track in Bowling Green, KY for the KY BMW HPDE. Very big track, 1st club DE (KY BMW Club) on the track that just opened on Labor Day Lots of turns and long straights. And no car swallowing sink holes on the track – yet???

Previous prelim suggestions have gotten the car track ready (wheels, tires, fluids, brakes, etc.) So now I need some counsel on driving this car on the track to get the driver ready. Previous track car was a full track prepped 350Z and have lots of track days over the last 12 years and have been a PCA instructor for 5 years. I have chosen not to instruct this first time in the Z4. With a new car on a new very big new track, thought I would take a weekend just for me to get the hang of all the new characteristics of the Z4 and this new track .

So here are some of my Q’s

(I know to watch the temps on water due to cooling issues of the paddles)

Do I use all 6 gears or just 5?
Will it have a gear change mind of its own?
Use 1 hand for up and one for down, or 1 hand for both ?
What about the DTC - on or off?
Keep the Sport mode on or off for throttle response ? I have a pretty sensitive throttle foot.
Left foot brake or right foot brake?
Any suspension items to watch for in the Z4? (stock suspension- with strut cross bar)
Any grip things to look for? (18in wheels/tires Hankook RS-3’s 235f 265r)
Other things to look for?
Or to Do?

Thanks in advance for the counsel
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Can't help much with respect to how the auto operates-- but I've never been in sixth at the track with my manual, and the only tracks I've used fifth at have been Road America and Mid-Ohio.

If you're experienced at the track, and it sounds like you are, I'd be looking at going DSC off as soon as you're sure the car isn't going to bite you-- the e-diff function provided by DTC can eat up your rear pads in a fair hurry depending on the track.

The only suspension problems I've ever had that could was when I found the driver's side strut bearing cracked/ruptured about 30% of the way around at Putnam Park. If it isn't that way at the start of your weekend, it's unlikely to be that way after.

Getting as much negative camber as you can if you've no option other than stock is good for both steering and tire wear. I've also found the car very sensitive to getting the toe exactly on spec, not within.
      09-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHickory View Post
Do I use all 6 gears or just 5?
Will it have a gear change mind of its own?
Use 1 hand for up and one for down, or 1 hand for both ?
What about the DTC - on or off?
Keep the Sport mode on or off for throttle response ? I have a pretty sensitive throttle foot.
Left foot brake or right foot brake?
Any suspension items to watch for in the Z4? (stock suspension- with strut cross bar)
Any grip things to look for? (18in wheels/tires Hankook RS-3’s 235f 265r)
Other things to look for?
Or to Do?

Thanks in advance for the counsel
1. The only track where I've used 5th gear is Auto Club Speedway, and it's got one of the longest straights anywhere. Probably the only other place where there's a longer straight here in the states, is CotA. And I'm in 5th VERY briefly (well, primarily because we run a chicane on the front straight). Don't ever recall using 6th gear on track unless I'm just goofing around.

2. Personal preference, IMO. I use one hand for up and one hand for down simply because I often drive different cars, like M3 with one paddle for up and one paddle for down, so I can at least get acclimated and not look like a doosh, even when I had my Z4 3.0 with SSG.

3. Personal preference. DTC gives you some semblance of simulating a limited slip, but isn't as advanced as the actual e-LSD that comes with the E9X and later chassis. Unfortunately it'll burn through your rear brakes if you're pushing the car. Not a problem I have to deal with on the MZ4 Coupe, but even on the Z4 3.0 with SSG, I turn it all off.

4. OFF. Sport mode is useless on track, makes throttle too artificially sensitive, and doesn't do anything for the transmission if you're shifting it manually. The only benefit is it makes the steering assist level less, but I don't think that benefit will outweigh the negatives.

5. OFF.

6. IMO, what's the point of driving an automatic/manualmatic/whatever BMW calls it if you don't LFB? But that's just me. The biggest benefit to having a SMG/DCT/Auto is the ability to use your left foot exclusively on the brakes.

7. No front camber, or not enough front camber. You can't get enough front camber on this chassis.

I had a 350Z with a lot of work, at the same time I had my Z4 3.0i. The 3.0i is significantly better than the 350Z in most regards except for power.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
TomHickory
Rep

excellent counsel folks - thanks!! looks like will get to ride around Friday pre day with other instructors to see what this monster is like before Sat and Sunday runs - this info will really be helpful!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
TomHickory
Rep

Wow - new Corvette Museum Track in Bowling Green KY is a great addition to the road race Track world! 1st Car Club event at the track by KY BMW Club. They did a great job. 50 instructors and 75 students in 3 classes - 4-30 mins sessions each day on the 3.1 mile track with 23 turns(instructor learn track prelim on Friday). The Z4 worked great, only Z4 at event, very balanced and sure gripped. Paddles really made the drive smoother and faster once you figured out the track - took all day Saturday to get the 23 turns into memory. - very technical track. Very few threshold brake turns, lots of trail brake fun turns. Even has a "sink hole" turn - named before the famous sinkhole across the street at the museum. All should get this place on your calendar. KY Club will have a spring and fall event in 2015. Thanks all for the advice - it was all spot on.
Appreciate 0