ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

want some brembos on my 2.5si but i dont seem to find the rear ones

want some brembos on my 2.5si but i dont seem to find the rear ones, do they exist?the front ones are in the webpage.
if i change my brakes do that affect the systems of the car in a bad way? i know that the car have a bunch of electrical things so i dont want to f**k the car up but i really want some brembos is it duable? thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Yes, Brembos are doable.

I assume you're talking about Brembo Big Brake Kits?

They are available for both the front and rear wheels.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
WaZZZZman
WaZZZZman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I too want to get new rotors and pads ( not big brake kit ) for my Zed and wanted drilled rotors as most of the better high performance vehicles have them and keeping with my rule of only doing mods that are true improvements I wanted to get higher performance brakes. I wanted to get a set of brembo rotors and pads. I called The Tire Rack and they said they do not carry rear rotors only front ones. I went to the brembo web site and sure enough they do not make rear rotors for my 2004 Z4 2.5i.

Now knowing that I can not have brembo all the way around, I have a couple of questions for the smart guys and gals out there. 1. Can I put brembos on the front and some other brand on the rear? 2. There are some drilled rotors and pads offered on eBay. Anyone have experience with any of them and is Muhsyn Motorsport in Salt Lake City any good if you have had experience with them? They are big on eBay.

I was looking at R1 Concepts but they do not appear to be on eBay any longer and I have read some bad reports about them rusting and other problems in regard to support and quality.

Does anyone know where I can get a good set of rotors for about the same price as brembo?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
      06-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaZZZZman View Post
I too want to get new rotors and pads ( not big brake kit ) for my Zed and wanted drilled rotors as most of the better high performance vehicles have them and keeping with my rule of only doing mods that are true improvements I wanted to get higher performance brakes. I wanted to get a set of brembo rotors and pads. I called The Tire Rack and they said they do not carry rear rotors only front ones. I went to the brembo web site and sure enough they do not make rear rotors for my 2004 Z4 2.5i.

Now knowing that I can not have brembo all the way around, I have a couple of questions for the smart guys and gals out there. 1. Can I put brembos on the front and some other brand on the rear? 2. There are some drilled rotors and pads offered on eBay. Anyone have experience with any of them and is Muhsyn Motorsport in Salt Lake City any good if you have had experience with them? They are big on eBay.

I was looking at R1 Concepts but they do not appear to be on eBay any longer and I have read some bad reports about them rusting and other problems in regard to support and quality.

Does anyone know where I can get a good set of rotors for about the same price as brembo?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Yeah. Your local BMW dealership. Rotors for your car should run no more than $50 ea.

By the way, "drilled" rotors are a significant performance DOWNGRADE from solid rotors.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
WaZZZZman
WaZZZZman
United_States
Rep

the HACK said:

By the way, "drilled" rotors are a significant performance DOWNGRADE from solid rotors.
Thanks HACK, that is what others are telling me as well, but what I do not understand if drilled rotors are bad why does BMW put them on Ms? I know my 2.5i is no M, but I don't need a car that goes as fast as mine does, but it is nice when I need it. The same thing for rotors if drilled is worth putting on a faster Zed what is the hurt putting them on a lessor car?
      06-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaZZZZman View Post
the HACK said:

Thanks HACK, that is what others are telling me as well, but what I do not understand if drilled rotors are bad why does BMW put them on Ms? I know my 2.5i is no M, but I don't need a car that goes as fast as mine does, but it is nice when I need it. The same thing for rotors if drilled is worth putting on a faster Zed what is the hurt putting them on a lessor car?
It's called marketing. As soon as RacingBrake slotted rear rotors are available I'm swapping out my rear rotors as well on the Moop. I've already swapped out my front to solid slotted rotors. Solid rotors have a much larger thermal capacity than drilled rotors, they're not under the same thermal strain at the drilled holes and are stronger, and they flat-out perform better. They put drilled rotors on "M" cars because people like YOU have this misconception about how drilled rotors perform better. They don't.

Ever see a set of drilled rotors crack all the way through on a single track weekend? I have. It's not a pretty sight. I haven't seen a set of solid rotors crack all the way through yet in person.

The whole "myth" about drilled rotors perform better came from long long time ago when brake pads use to "out-gas" and prevent the pad from contacting the rotor in racing applications. Brake pads don't do that for decades. However, since they used to put drilled rotors on race cars, people start to associate drilled rotors with "performance" and it's stuck with most uninformed buyers since. Do a quick search on the intarweb for "drilled rotor myth" if you'd like a third party confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
WaZZZZman
WaZZZZman
United_States
Rep

Well it is the consensus of opinion that putting drilled breaks on my Zed is a bad idea. I received many posts on this forum and others and several private emails most were negative about the idea. I do not track but I do like to zoom around the mountain passes here in my area of the world and the brakes do heat up very badly at times. I can not afford to convert to a big brake kit with the associated larger wheels and tires so I yield to your expertise and I will put better pads on, but forget the drilled rotors. Thanks for all those who gave me advise.
      08-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mini

Nuts to it i say! Drilled rotors look cool and they are gonna find a home on my car tomorrow, i know if they are a "downgrade" and all i guess then so be it. The look is sick with them on and untill i pick up my big break kit to fill in the rim gap from my new 19 inch "downgrade" rims, they will do. Brembo or rotora up front and centric in the rears! ill probably get axis pads with the low dust formula too. Guess im saying that to me performance can sacrifice a little (and only a little) when going for a better look.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

You can mix the ft and rear rotors/pads....it won't make any difference on a car equipped with abs.

I'm running Brembo ft and powerslot rear, both solid/slotted from tire rack. If yu're getting fade, upgrade your pads and fluid also, but I doubt that "dustless" pads will help. All performance pads I know of are worse on dust.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Speedtronix714
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Pinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemex12 View Post
want some brembos on my 2.5si but i dont seem to find the rear ones, do they exist?the front ones are in the webpage.
if i change my brakes do that affect the systems of the car in a bad way? i know that the car have a bunch of electrical things so i dont want to f**k the car up but i really want some brembos is it duable? thanks

Im selling my Front and Rear Brembo Brake kit. Let me know if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

im interested but then again how did you find em? becasuse in their website they only show the front ones but there isnt any notice of the rear ones. the thing is that im buying some 19s m6 reps but they are too big for my stock set. areu sure yours are meant to be used with a 2.5si because for what i know 2.5si comes with different brakes as stock
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
Speedtronix714
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
im interested but then again how did you find em? becasuse in their website they only show the front ones but there isnt any notice of the rear ones. the thing is that im buying some 19s m6 reps but they are too big for my stock set. areu sure yours are meant to be used with a 2.5si because for what i know 2.5si comes with different brakes as stock
The rears are not listed on the webiste anymore. They used to sell the rear kit from 2003 to I think 2006. They are specific to the Z4 and may fit other vehicles if you get the correct bracket.

You can go to Realoem.com and look at the brake setup for your year and model Z4 and compare it to a 2004 Z4. If the part numbers for the brakes are similiar than they should fit. As for clearance issues with the M6 Reps, you wont have any with the rears. Not sure about the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Speedtronix714
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With the Brembo setup you wont have any electrical problems besides the brake sensor being deleted. When you decide to put back the stocks all you have to do is plug it back in to the stock pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Yeah. Your local BMW dealership. Rotors for your car should run no more than $50 ea.

You sir... need to read up a little more or at least have more first hand experience before preaching about drilled rotors being the end of the world.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92644
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #15
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
You sir... need to read up a little more or at least have more first hand experience before preaching about drilled rotors being the end of the world.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92644
What did I say about marketing? The guy sells rotors. If he can sell you a set of drilled rotors, which cost the same to make as solid rotors, but he can charge you a 20% premium, which rotor do you think he's going to push?

By the way, I've got a bridge to sell in Brooklyn. Oh and they changed the spelling of "gullible" in dictionary.
Appreciate 0