ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Anyone Else Using Harrys Lap Timer (HLT) or Similar...?

Just downloaded it and purchased the Emrpum Ultmate GPS antenna (5hz location update as opposed to TomTom's 1hz) to use at my next HPDE. Seems like as long as you have an external antenna, the data is pretty accurate. My question though is don't most HPDE's prohibit the use of any kind of device that requires windshield mounting? I was planning on using the Satechi mount. I run mostly with NASA and CCA...
      01-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 15 i3, 17 M3 Frz Wht

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i  [7.00]
if i remember correctly you can also use the phone to record the data and merge it onto video taken with another device like a gopro.
      01-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

I use the REV app by Devtoaster on my iphone with the PLX Kiwi wireless adapter.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I've purchased exactly the same setup you've outlined above, including the Emprum and Satechi mount. Haven't had a chance to put it in the car yet though.

I have purchased an extension cable to maybe put between the iPhone and the GPS, decision more driven my the case I've got the phone in than anything else...

Need some more time to give it a try, certainly would be interested in sharing results.
      01-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

My buddy has Harry's Lap Timer. Here is his post:

http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11728

Looks pretty badass.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had a little bonus money come throughand picked up the OBDKey Wifi dongle.

I'm just starting to work with it a bit, but it does add RPM, throttle position to the video overlay.

The update rate isn't blindingly fast though-- just above 1 Hz, but I'm given to understand that's on the car's side, not the OBDKey or HLT.

I'll update as I work more with this.
      05-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

It's well worth the $40 for the app compared to higher end data acquisition units. The benefit is very few wires and modules to attach, and it integrates with iPhone's video capturing capabilities. The downside is the interface is difficult to use (by iPhone standards) and the data is strictly GPS and internal G sensor of the phone, the second of which isn't the most accurate (I think) in resolution.

The biggest limitation is that you have to view the data on your iPhone, but that's part of the allure I guess, you can see velocity traces and lineal and lateral acceleration graphs per distance laid out on sections of the track without having to download the data first to a laptop. You can also export the data to spreadsheet if you would like to run some detailed comparison.

Overall, it's good for DEs. Higher level and improvement via data will have to come from better DAX units. But for what it is? It's pretty good.

Here's an overlay video from last Friday:

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
It's well worth the $40 for the app compared to higher end data acquisition units. The benefit is very few wires and modules to attach, and it integrates with iPhone's video capturing capabilities. The downside is the interface is difficult to use (by iPhone standards) and the data is strictly GPS and internal G sensor of the phone, the second of which isn't the most accurate (I think) in resolution.

The biggest limitation is that you have to view the data on your iPhone, but that's part of the allure I guess, you can see velocity traces and lineal and lateral acceleration graphs per distance laid out on sections of the track without having to download the data first to a laptop. You can also export the data to spreadsheet if you would like to run some detailed comparison.

Overall, it's good for DEs. Higher level and improvement via data will have to come from better DAX units. But for what it is? It's pretty good.
I got a chance to try this out at NJMP 2 months ago, and it worked REALLY well. I also had the gps attachment which definitely helped with accuracy, only drawback is that it really eats up the iphone battery so after each session, I had to plug my phone to the charger. I highly recommend both the software and hardware attachment... it's expensive but as Hack said, still tiny cost compared to professional data logging equipment.
      05-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
My question though is don't most HPDE's prohibit the use of any kind of device that requires windshield mounting?
You can mount your iPhone to somewhere secure in the car, and use an extension cable to attach the UltiMate. Example:
CableJive dockXtender Premium Extension Cable for iPhone, iPod, iPad (6 foot black): http://www.amazon.com/CableJive-dock.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

By the way, I'd also suggest getting an WIFI OBD2 module to collect more data. Be aware, it is better to put the iPhone in airplane mode (with WIFI enabled of course) to reduce any interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
There is the separate iPad app, where you can use the larger screen to view the same data, in same format. Also, you can export the data in ChaseCam format to see all the graphs in ChaseCam software AND you can use that data to overlay on your (for example) GoPro video (it is a bitch to sync though).
      05-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karacticus View Post
The update rate isn't blindingly fast though-- just above 1 Hz, but I'm given to understand that's on the car's side, not the OBDKey or HLT.
Agreed. A little disappointed about that actually. Supposedly it is 5Hz, but the data from yesterday says it was captured at 3Hz.
      05-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
You can mount your iPhone to somewhere secure in the car, and use an extension cable to attach the UltiMate. Example:
CableJive dockXtender Premium Extension Cable for iPhone, iPod, iPad (6 foot black): http://www.amazon.com/CableJive-dock.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

By the way, I'd also suggest getting an WIFI OBD2 module to collect more data. Be aware, it is better to put the iPhone in airplane mode (with WIFI enabled of course) to reduce any interference.

Thanks I just ended up mounting it via suction to the rear hatch but I may try using this cable.

Stupid question but are you saying the iphone will work fine with the emprum even in airplane mode as long as wifi's on?
      05-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Thanks I just ended up mounting it via suction to the rear hatch but I may try using this cable.

Stupid question but are you saying the iphone will work fine with the emprum even in airplane mode as long as wifi's on?
The idea is, the GPS unit should have a clear path to the satellites. Windshield, rear hatch window etc should be fine. I mount mine to the iPhone directly which is mounted to the windshield.

The airplane mode is for the WIFI OBD2 units. The GPS unit is connected to the iPhone directly. But the OBD2 unit is connected via WIFI, and people say that there may be interference caused by the 3G signal.
      06-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's some charts I got out of my use of Harry's at Putnam Park.

I think I've got to the point where I've figured out some of the quirks that can cause it to occasionally crash-- mostly, I highly recommend restarting the iPhone, or at least ensuring a hard restart to HLT before each session.

06-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Sweet, I downloaded the app but haven't used it at the track, was too busy focusing on other track activities to figure it out. I'll have to mess around with it and figure it out before I go out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Got to play around with HLT more... really enjoying the software. Can't wait for version 16 where it'll be compatible with the GoPoint BT hardware so I can start sync'ng up with the obd port.

This past weekend at Summit Main

09-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I have been using HLT for a bit over 2 years now and it has never skipped a beat with the TomTom CarKit. Most schools seem to be fine with a windshield mount on the driver side left corner but if I do video at the center/lower portion of the windshield I get flagged every now and then.

OBD with the ElmCan WLAN has been sketchy though but I have not tried in Airplane mode. Will give it a twirl this Sat at Pocono.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

I have been using the Aim solo using a Cd slot mounting bracket and love it. It is full 10Hz system so super accurate, and gives you easy to read data at the end of your run , max min lap speeds for each lap, +/- from best lap times , theoretical best lap combining sector times etc. The post software is a little intimidating at first but tons of functionality. You can see it in action in my DE video from my roebling road track day on 9/1. Have to do data overlay post using a separate program but to be honest there is no need since you can see my speed /segment time change in the videos due to the cd mount location.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Just to put things in perspective, this is how accurate the HLT is relative to a transponder. This is without any external GPS hardware

http://outrageousracing.squarespace....ansponder.html