ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Sparco Pro2000 vs Recaro Apex/Profi SPG.

Anyone sat in both? I hear the Pro 2000 will hit the door trim when installed, but the piece is a relatively cheap replacement (and it doesn't prevent the door from closing properly). The Profi SPG is slightly narrower in the maximum shoulder width based on manufacturer measurements and likely fits without hitting (anyone have one installed?), but strangely the base cushion is an inch wider, so I'm not sure if it will be a snug fit for me (I'm 6'1"/33" waist).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Wish I could help Scott....
But I've only had me Revs & the now Pro2ks.

You're more than welcome to try the Pro2ks again if you'd like

It'd be good to test drive the car with the seat installed

I'm contemplating whether or not I should install my harness bar and harness though hmmm. Priorities have changed after all...what to do, what to do..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
You're more than welcome to try the Pro2ks again if you'd like

It'd be good to test drive the car with the seat installed

Having long legs and also sat in your car, Scott better be good at driving with his legs, because his knee will be up around the steering wheel.

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

LoL that's partly why I made the sarcastic comment =p

But technically, I COULD move the seat and cater to his height. Just hafta loosen four bolts.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Quote:
Woops, missed the sarcasm...it was late. lol

Lon, what's the wt savings over stock power seat?

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:

But technically, I COULD move the seat and cater to his height. Just hafta loosen four bolts.
Hey, I might actually take you up on that--if you'd consider it a fair trade to drive my VT2-500 in exchange Want to hit up Page Mill Road?

Are your seats side-mounted or bottom-mounted? Did you get the adjustable back support pieces with your Pro2000? (Seen in the photo here: http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-00857FN...6142181&sr=8-1)

I haven't gotten any more information on the Recaro Apex which I'd really like to compare to the Pro2000, especially since it might fit without hitting the door, but I may just go with the Sparco since I'm eager for the lateral support on my unusual daily commute.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

yeah i need to try out Lon's seats too haha
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
Woops, missed the sarcasm...it was late. lol

Lon, what's the wt savings over stock power seat?
The Sparco Pro2000s weigh less than 18 lbs. by itself. Plus bracketing and floor mount, we're still looking at maybe 25 lbs. total. Compared to a stock powered and heated seat, which came in at just under 60 lbs. that I measured back when I did the seat swap
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
Hey, I might actually take you up on that--if you'd consider it a fair trade to drive my VT2-500 in exchange Want to hit up Page Mill Road?

Are your seats side-mounted or bottom-mounted? Did you get the adjustable back support pieces with your Pro2000? (Seen in the photo here: http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-00857FN...6142181&sr=8-1)

I haven't gotten any more information on the Recaro Apex which I'd really like to compare to the Pro2000, especially since it might fit without hitting the door, but I may just go with the Sparco since I'm eager for the lateral support on my unusual daily commute.
hahaha let's go up highway 9 instead. Much wider (quite a bit safer), and less bumpy too.

My seats are side-mounted, I think with Sparco sidemounts. I transferred the sidemount brackets over from my other Sparco Revs from the MR2 and they didn't have any markings on them, so I'm not 100% sure.
In any case, I inverted one of the brackets for extra clearance. I figure the thickness of the bracketing/plating would not cause any adverse effects in the case of an accident (God forbid; knock on wood).

Yes, my Pro2000 came with the two little lumbar pieces as well. They velcro (sp?) onto the seatback. Quasi-adjustable position-wise. BTW, that seat you linked me to on Amazon? That's a newer Pro2000 model, hence the different stitching locations, and the split (two-piece) thigh support piece. Mine must be the model before that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
yeah i need to try out Lon's seats too haha
Let's make it a party! Are you in as well John?

We could grab lunch at Alice's off of i-35 and i-9, or thereabouts. They have good burgers xD
Appreciate 0