ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

FS: Active Autowerke Gen IV catless headers ("euro headers")

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
SOLD! $1050 shipped.

Last edited by iPhoneEngineer; 10-25-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
claritycheck
Rolling Republic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Beautiful!
      09-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Did you have to run e36 studs (longer), or did the current ones work?

GLWS

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
Did you have to run e36 studs (longer), or did the current ones work?
Good question--the stock ones work fine because despite the thick flanges, there are deep recesses cut in them for each of the nuts. I emailed AA the same question before buying them, and they also confirm that the stock S54 studs are what the headers were designed to be used with (though e36 ones couldn't hurt).

The shape of the headers allowed me to install and remove them without even using a universal joint on my 1/4" ratchet--just a single extension.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Can the car still pass smog with these headers and the ECS tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Looks like a great deal to me! Someone pick these up or I'll get tempted

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
I have read reports both ways about it passing the numbers. I expect that if you did your due diligence and got the car nice and warm, going to the smog place immediately after some hard runs, it would absolutely pass the sniffer (actual emissions numbers). Visual wouldn't be too hard, because the headers are pretty well covered by the heat shield, but if the smog guy is a stickler he could fail you there. The problem is if your state does OBD-II port checks (like CA does), the computer probably will have some "readiness" codes--even though there is no SES light. At least, this was the case with the ESS tune; perhaps the ECS tune can eliminate this too. In short, I'm planning to swap back to my USDM headers for smog.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Thanks for the input. Yeah I'm in CA too (I actually met you at the dyno day, we had the matching cars, minus mine not having the supercharger) so I'm pretty wary of the mods I do and how they affect smog checks.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
If your tune ignores the secondary O2's, it won't pass. I've heard ESS "turns down" the secondary O2's (and doesn't ignore their readings completely), but I can't verify it. You will have to ask someone at ESS about it. I would bet on - NO, it won't pass OBDII. I never had to go through a California inspection while I lived there, because I had the car exactly two years when I moved. Relocating the O2 sensors might tip off the visual inspector.

You could design an O2 simulator. I plan to make one once I get my SS V1 step headers put on.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
If your tune ignores the secondary O2's, it won't pass. I've heard ESS "turns down" the secondary O2's (and doesn't ignore their readings completely), but I can't verify it. You will have to ask someone at ESS about it. I would bet on - NO, it won't pass OBDII. I never had to go through a California inspection while I lived there, because I had the car exactly two years when I moved. Relocating the O2 sensors might tip off the visual inspector.

You could design an O2 simulator. I plan to make one once I get my SS V1 step headers put on.
I'm really not sure what you're talking about here...why would ignoring the secondary O2s have an impact on emissions? The wideband O2s are far more accurate and are the only ones used to change the mixture--the narrowband (secondary) ones are simply backups to 1) check that the catalytic converters are both present and functioning, 2) check that the wideband sensors have not gone bad. Asbjorn at ESS has told me directly that their tune does make use of the secondary O2s to check the function of the primaries, and strongly encourages everyone to keep them installed.

This has nothing to do with what the OBD-II port will tell you--as I mentioned, that will most likely show "Readiness" codes either way. But I still think it's possible to pass the sniffer numbers with just the secondary cats, with or without the secondary O2s, if you heat them up properly with hard driving before the test.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I've got smog source, but need to triple-check on OBD2 & the addition of a tune. Not sure if Active Autowerk tune "turns down" the secondary O2 readings or if it "turns off" the readings altogether. I suppose I will be the test mule in a couple of years when smog is due
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
HaiDef
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

is california that strict? Couldnt you tip the person some cash to plug it up to a normal car to pass the test?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdoan86 View Post
is california that strict? Couldnt you tip the person some cash to plug it up to a normal car to pass the test?
The usual answer to "is California that strict?" is "YES!" It's a risk to try to connect another car's OBD-II--it obviously transmits the VIN, which presumably the emissions control software and database will be looking for. Even if you found another Z4M to come along with you, you'd probably be effectively paying for their smog to be on file .
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
I'm really not sure what you're talking about here...why would ignoring the secondary O2s have an impact on emissions? The wideband O2s are far more accurate and are the only ones used to change the mixture--the narrowband (secondary) ones are simply backups to 1) check that the catalytic converters are both present and functioning, 2) check that the wideband sensors have not gone bad. Asbjorn at ESS has told me directly that their tune does make use of the secondary O2s to check the function of the primaries, and strongly encourages everyone to keep them installed.

This has nothing to do with what the OBD-II port will tell you--as I mentioned, that will most likely show "Readiness" codes either way. But I still think it's possible to pass the sniffer numbers with just the secondary cats, with or without the secondary O2s, if you heat them up properly with hard driving before the test.
I was talking about the OBDII part of the smog check, not the sniffer. It will not pass if the car has a tune to avoid the SES light associated with deleting the primary cats. It won't pass with an illuminated SES light either. If you need to pass, you'll have to either relocate the O2 sensors and pray you pass the visual inspection (or pay off the guy), or fabricate an O2 simulator. Either way, you could still fail the visual inspection portion if the inspector is thorough.

I don't know about passing the sniffer beyond what others have told me - you will most likely pass by a very slim margin. You are removing your primary catalytic converters after all.

OT - That being said, if I had to do it over again I would probably buy a quality set of headers that bolt up to the stock section 1- SS V2 or V2 step, AA, Euro, etc. I'm somewhat stuck in that it would be very difficult to modify the V1 step headers to fit my stock section 1, and I won't pay $2000+ for a catted SS section 1. If I go with an overpriced SS straight pipe, I will deal with rasp and an system that's more than likely deafeningly loud. If you don't need to worry about emissions, go for these headers.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdoan86 View Post
Yes, and yes. To the latter, that is the definition of having a smog hookup
i.e. someone that's willing to turn more than an eye

As of right now, the ONLY thing I'm not sure about is whether or not aftermarket ECU will cause failure of my smog. Everything else is not an issue
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any questions about the headers? I bought these for over $100 more, seems like a pretty good price to me
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Do these introduce more of a raspy sound to the exhaust note?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
Yes, they do. But barely. Nowhere near unbearable. Unless you also install unresonated section1 (s-pipe) along with these--or any other--headers
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #19
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
As mfanatic says, yes--but the sound is nearly identical to the OEM Euro headers, and I find it overall more aggressive and throaty in a positive way. I have the stock Section 1, X-Pipe, and mufflers and am very happy with the improvement in exhaust sound moving to catless headers; it'll keep me satisfied for a while, especially since nearly all of our performance potential with exhaust modifications comes from the headers.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #21
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Estoril Blue/Black F31

PM sent...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Holding out for something closer to my asking price...
Appreciate 0