ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Wax Polishing Rags - Cleaning

Hey guys, kind of a strange question...

What do you do with the microfiber rags that you use to buff the wax off? I've been hesitant to put them in the washing machine, but just buying new ones is getting to be a pain in the ass. I was afraid that the wax may have a detrimental effect on the washing machine as a whole and that the washed rag may no longer be suitable for wax jobs down the road. Not sure what could happen to the rag, but I've been somewhat paranoid about it. I would hate to end up with a rag that "looks" ready to be used again, but isn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I buy cheap diapers (cloth) or T shirts. Disposable, work great. But I only wax 4 times a year
      04-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I wash them all the time & use a microfiber detergent.
They turn out great.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

They become my rags for other things. Oil clean up and tool clean up, etc. I have other projects so this works well. Eventually I throw them away when they are too dirty. They are cheap enough at Costco.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I wash mine too. No issues as of yet. Also, Costco has giant packs of microfiber clothes for, I think, $15. Have been using those for a while now and they work great. If you're hesitant to use them again, retire them to interior or engine bay detailing. I go through at least 4-5 per wash.

Ha! Jumbosock posted as I was writing. So... +1
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

Use the fluffiest microfibres you can find. DO NOT use tshirt scraps, that will marr the hell out of your paint.

Also, many people don't know this, but you must wash microfibers ONLY with other microfibers and only with microfiber detergent. If you wash them with other terry cloth towels or tshirts, your microfibers will pick up all the excess cotton and become a mess. If you wash them with regular detergent you will eventually break down the microfiber to the point of them not being absorbent anymore.

Hope this helps.
      04-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Griots has the stuff I like.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

also don't use fabric softener sheets.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwatson48 View Post
Use the fluffiest microfibres you can find. DO NOT use tshirt scraps, that will marr the hell out of your paint.

Also, many people don't know this, but you must wash microfibers ONLY with other microfibers and only with microfiber detergent. If you wash them with other terry cloth towels or tshirts, your microfibers will pick up all the excess cotton and become a mess. If you wash them with regular detergent you will eventually break down the microfiber to the point of them not being absorbent anymore.

Hope this helps.
Bang on. I had been using some decent micro fibre detergent but just ordered some Detailer's Pride MF detergent. Supposed to handle greasy towels a little better. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. You've collectively answered all of the questions that I was considering (even the ones that were still only bouncing around in my head)... like some sort of Jedi Message Board Mind trick

I've been using the idea of using them and then transitioning them into lessor roles with subsequent car washes, but then I end up with a pile of microfibers that I've been afraid to wash and too stubborn to throw away.

I never really "priced" the towels, but the idea that they were more expensive was stuck in my head. I just ordered these from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&s=automotive. At a little over 60 cents a cloth, it certainly seems easier to restrict how many times they're used.

I'll also grab some of the microfiber detergent, armed with the precautions cited.

Thank you all for the help. Seriously, you guys are awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

Here's what I use for removing polish/wax:
http://www.autogeek.net/chinchilla-b...oth-combo.html

Here's what I use to dry my car (this thing is a BEAST and just sops up all the water):
http://www.autogeek.net/waffle-weave-drying-towel.html
      04-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Here's what I use to dry my car (this thing is a BEAST and just sops up all the water):
Now, that looks like a microfiber towel worth washing & keeping around! I guess my question would be whether or not using & cleaning this one over & and over for waxing would be better long term than a fresh, albeit much less fluffy rag right out of the original package. How much microfiber degradation have you seen over time?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
I buy cheap diapers (cloth) or T shirts. Disposable, work great. But I only wax 4 times a year
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I wash them all the time & use a microfiber detergent.
They turn out great.
Quote:

Hope this helps.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
also don't use fabric softener sheets.
+2. You'll ruin the static charge

Quote:

Awesome towels. I use those along with these:

http://www.autogeek.net/coblallpumit2.html

http://www.autogeek.net/supreme-buff...ber-towel.html

http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-deluxe...ber-towel.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGigglebox View Post
Now, that looks like a microfiber towel worth washing & keeping around! I guess my question would be whether or not using & cleaning this one over & and over for waxing would be better long term than a fresh, albeit much less fluffy rag right out of the original package. How much microfiber degradation have you seen over time?
Once clean it is a new towel again. Nothing wrong.

I haven't seen anything wrong with my towels and I'm going 2+ years on 15-20 or so quality towels
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #14
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
I see some other autogeeks in here. I also use the waffle towels for drying, great stuff.

OP, check this out though for care instructions.

http://www.autogeek.net/mi101.html

I haven't sprung for the special detergent, but I have used the dye and scent free stuff without issues. Wash them cold and dry low heat.