ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Ferry ramp gouged fang and ate a grille

Was coming back from a nice relaxing day, wine tasting on Whidbey Island, when my stress level shot back up.

Was driving off the ferry in Port Townsend, when the ramp gouged the crap out of the driver side fang. I heard the gut wrenching scrape but was more concerned by the loud crunch which followed.

I pulled over once I got off the boat and the damage was done. Not only was the fang gouged, but the driver side grille fell out and was run over. The ramp caught on the RPI skid pad and bent it as well.

I'll post up pics later. Going to take the skid pad off, pound it out and give it a quick touch up. But not sure what to do about the fang just yet.

I was so close to talking myself into getting an APR splitter again, but I can't imagine what would have happened with that on.

Sigh...

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I did this getting of the ferry (picture was taken after a long trip)

It's been like that since 2009, with a piece of black duct tape over it.

Here's my solution

Once I replace it I want to get some sort of cheap splitter to help protect the bumper.
      09-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Damn, sorry to hear that! We've all been there and can understand that gut-wrenching feeling--- just not to the extent of ripping a piece of the bumper off.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
Was coming back from a nice relaxing day, wine tasting on Whidbey Island, when my stress level shot back up.

Was driving off the ferry in Port Townsend, when the ramp gouged the crap out of the driver side fang. I heard the gut wrenching scrape but was more concerned by the loud crunch which followed.

I pulled over once I got off the boat and the damage was done. Not only was the fang gouged, but the driver side grille fell out and was run over. The ramp caught on the RPI skid pad and bent it as well.

I'll post up pics later. Going to take the skid pad off, pound it out and give it a quick touch up. But not sure what to do about the fang just yet.

I was so close to talking myself into getting an APR splitter again, but I can't imagine what would have happened with that on.

Sigh...
SO sorry to hear this - was it low tide, causing the ferry to be lower than normal?
      09-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Yikes, I have a pit in my stomach just thinking about this. Sorry to hear this happened.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
In the words of Clay Davis (The Wire)...

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTT

sux bro
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep

Here's the damage to the fang. In addition, it broke one of the supports for the brake duct. Shattered most of the plastic underneath. Fun times...

The problem with the ferry is you are totally dependent on the ramp angle and the tides. I was just the victim of a bad angle. I'm just looking at it as one more reason to make the jump to dedicated track car...

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges

Last edited by a_riddler; 09-26-2011 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Keep some 2x4s in your trunk when you know you're gonna take a ferry. Throw them down if the angle looks too great.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
Here's the damage to the fang. In addition, it broke one of the supports for the brake duct. Shattered most of the plastic underneath. Fun times...

The problem with the ferry is you are totally dependent on the ramp angle and the tides. I was just the victim of a bad angle. I'm just looking at it as one more reason to make the jump to dedicated track car...
Ooooouch that must have hurt at the time.
I've only had the car on a ferry a couple of times & I hate the whole procedure.
I would drive an hour out of my way if it meant avoiding a ferry.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Damn! Ouch! Did you contact WA State Ferries regarding this? I 'spose their response would be, "Not our problem" but cripes!!

I had wanted to take the Edmonds-Kingston ferry across so that I could take a nice, spririted drive on Highway 112 from Port Angeles out to Neah Bay. Now, I don't think my car is ever going to get on a ferry!! Double damn, going across the Narrows bridge adds about 4 hours. I guess this trip will wait until next summer.
      09-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

If you're careful enough you can make it, I've been on the boat many times after I gouged mine, I just make sure to go slow and pay attention. Then again this is the Seattle ferry, I'm not sure what the others are like.
      09-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Skid Plates will only prevent damage to the fangs. In certain situations, the Skid Plates will actually cause more damage to the front bumper. That being said, it still have the skid plates on my car (to protect the fangs) and i won't go places that i think might cause the bumper to hit.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep

I travel the Seattle ferry all the time, and the Kingston/Edmonds on occasion and never had a problem. The risk is always there but this was my time, I guess.

Replacement parts ordered, going to leave the battle scar on the fang for now.

Appreciate 0