ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Grill plates coming off?

OK, so I just washed my baby for the first time and when I got to the front, I noticed the grill plates (don't know their 'technical' BMW names, sorry) were loose. So I EVER so gently pulled on one to see if it would come off and it popped right off! Is this normal?! I managed to put it back on but I'm not quite sure it's on right and DEFINITELY don't want it falling off on the road somewhere. What's the proper way to care for and install these??
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OH and yes, pics will be coming after dinner!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

They should not come out easily, in fact it should take some force to remove them. Previous owner probably removed them and broke a couple of the retaining clips. Now is a great time to get some black grilles.
      06-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

well the ones on there are black with 'chrome' around the edge. but they're def plastic-type material
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

That's the correct OE grill.
The black out grills replace are completely black, no chrome.

Like this......
(my old car)
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

ooh...yeah. me likey!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
and only $60
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

where do you all go shopping for this stuff?? i am having NO luck finding anything online!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Mine were loose on the driver side I had them fix it when she was in for (my first) oil change. I also had the daytime running lights activated for a total cost of $0.

This is really cool!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
yeah not to sound like an echo but if its coming out that easily it either wasnt popped in all the way when somebody was putting it back on or the previous owner for some reason took them out, decided not to paint the chrome and in the process snapped off a few clips.... the clips are really fragile...i snapped one off when i was painting mine
      06-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Mine were loose on the driver side I had them fix it when she was in for (my first) oil change. I also had the daytime running lights activated for a total cost of $0.

This is really cool!

Steve
I thought I saw it in their either Thursday or Friday, Went in to get an alarm activation quote...$150 HA!
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yeah it's the right one (driver's side) that came off. I was too afraid to try the other one. when i had it off though, it didn't look like any clips were broken or missing, though i don't know exactly what they looked like to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

To remove them you lift up and pull the bottom out first. Once removed, you should be able to see how they clip in. Unfortunately when I purchased my car from the dealer, they had resprayed the front bumper. It looks great, but when they removed my grillz, they broke off one of the clips......not off the grill.....off the bumper. But it doesn't affect it, mine stay in fine. Just something I know about and irritates me a little bit since it's not "perfect".
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
To remove them you lift up and pull the bottom out first. Once removed, you should be able to see how they clip in. Unfortunately when I purchased my car from the dealer, they had resprayed the front bumper. It looks great, but when they removed my grillz, they broke off one of the clips......not off the grill.....off the bumper. But it doesn't affect it, mine stay in fine. Just something I know about and irritates me a little bit since it's not "perfect".
yeah that's how i feel about mine. if i hadn't pulled it out i'm sure i would've thought i had a perfect car still, but it's the little things now! lol this is my first BMW and i really want to take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
where do you all go shopping for this stuff?? i am having NO luck finding anything online!
I ordered a set today for $65 shipped off ebay. They were all blacked out--no chrome.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I ordered a set today for $65 shipped off ebay. They were all blacked out--no chrome.
heh thanks! i always forget about that place for some reason. DURR! haha
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with f***ed up grille clips on the front bumper. Apparently, it's a pretty common thing. I hear you on being irritated on it not being perfect though -- that along with some other minor issues with the bumper were enough to make me buy a new bumper. It will be perfect once I install it this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #18
LHB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP

Turner Motorsport has some cool matte black and carbon fiber replacment grills, although they're a little more than the ones you might find on ebay.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...&subcat_id=227
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

i just found the turner site yesterday. i've been seriously searching (with what i can get to at work here lol) all sorts of stuff for the car! i don't know if CF is worth twice as much on an item that weighs maybe .25lbs as is. haha but they ARE nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So after finally cracking(me not the grill) and removing the grill that came off and inspecting, i found that all the snaps/brackets are intact, but it's actually the piece of the bumper that it attaches to is loose and pushes back when I go to snap it in place. I don't know the technical name for it but i looked up if i was a part i could/should replace and it doesn't look like it should be a separate part. I'm thinking i'll just super glue it where it connects and see if that works. It doesn't really change anything aesthetically, but I know it's there!

I have a picture showing exactly what I'm talking about, but i'll have to wait until i get home to post it...stupid filters.
      07-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
Neegra
Private
Rep
Drives: TiAg/Imola MC

I just found the kidney grill on the passenger's side to have this same problem while washing my car the other day. And like yourself, I said WTF when I barely pulled on it and it came off. I don't know how it had not fallen off while driving down the road.

All my clips were intact upon inspection as well, but the black piece it snaps to kept moving back, not allowing it to clip in. I was going to take off the upper radiator shroud so I could reach the back of it, but then I realized my finger would fit through the grill.

Try sticking your index fingertip through the grill in order to pull the inner black piece toward the kidney grill/back of bumper (don't go past the first knuckle or it might hurt on the way out lol). Then while you are pulling the black piece toward the kidney grill with your index finger, support your thumb on the kidney grill's rim and push (causing a squeezing motion between your index and thumb)...you should hear a snap. Work your way around the perimeter sandwiching the bumper between the two pieces, and ta-dah!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #22
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neegra View Post
I just found the kidney grill on the passenger's side to have this same problem while washing my car the other day. And like yourself, I said WTF when I barely pulled on it and it came off. I don't know how it had not fallen off while driving down the road.

All my clips were intact upon inspection as well, but the black piece it snaps to kept moving back, not allowing it to clip in. I was going to take off the upper radiator shroud so I could reach the back of it, but then I realized my finger would fit through the grill.

Try sticking your index fingertip through the grill in order to pull the inner black piece toward the kidney grill/back of bumper (don't go past the first knuckle or it might hurt on the way out lol). Then while you are pulling the black piece toward the kidney grill with your index finger, support your thumb on the kidney grill's rim and push (causing a squeezing motion between your index and thumb)...you should hear a snap. Work your way around the perimeter sandwiching the bumper between the two pieces, and ta-dah!
awesome! i'll do that when i get home tonight! thanks!