ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
My New Track Accessory

Using the GoPro has been a blast but past few events have had showers and thus my wipers wouldn't allow me to mount the camera on the windshield. I could use one of their adhesive backed mounts on the front bumper but that's somewhat permanent... But recently came across a tow hook adapter for the GoPro.

This is the perfect spot imo, not only is it more level with the ground but it should pick up the noise coming from the hood. Can't wait to test this out!!
      09-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

That looks pretty legit. Post some vids when you're done!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Great location, about to do the same on my car except using a ContourHD. Also trying to find a proper way to mount the camera and get a good view of the pedals , steering inputs, etc. On most cars the sunroof works great, but the huge divider on our cars makes it a tad difficult to get the right angle.
      09-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Looks great. Where did you get it?
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Very nice.... please post the model and where it can be procured!

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
Great location, about to do the same on my car except using a ContourHD. Also trying to find a proper way to mount the camera and get a good view of the pedals , steering inputs, etc. On most cars the sunroof works great, but the huge divider on our cars makes it a tad difficult to get the right angle.
I have one of the GoPro adhesive mounts in between the center pocket, at the very top. You get a good view of the steering wheel, shifter and windshield. Don't recall if you get any pedal action but I still thought it was pretty decent.
      09-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryb97 View Post
Looks great. Where did you get it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
Very nice.... please post the model and where it can be procured!
I bought it from Rennline, same site I bought my H/T pedals (see thread here). Product link:

http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=982

Few things to note though:

1) This bracket is meant to be used with their tow hook mount. However, due to the curvature of our bumper, the tow hook will NOT clear the front bumper even with the addition of extra washers. Therefore, you will have to call in your order and ask for a special order: a) tow hook screw + b) GoPro bracket but NO actual tow hook

2) As mentioned above, because clearance is an issue, you will need to also specify the need for extra washers. I don't recall how many used but I can check later today how many I used exactly that way you can specify the same number.

3) In their product link, you see the GoPro camera is mounted directly to their metal bracket. However if you look at their other picture where it's mounted on the rear bumper, you see they used one of the GoPro extensions (I believe it's the right angle arm) to get around the offset of the bumper. Because we have similar issues on our front bumper, I had to use that extension as well. FYI the extension is included with your original GoPro kit.

If you are interested in this mount, I'd call Rennline directly and ask for Tom. They have great customer service and Tom was the one who I spoke to when dealing with fitment questions so he should be familiar with what you'd need to get this to work.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 09-02-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

I have been wanting to add a camera like this for some of my roadtrips. I really like your setup!! When it is mounted outside like that, what kind of protection does the camera lens have against flying debris?
      09-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
The camera is sits inside a plastic enclosure provided by GoPro. It seems sturdy and the clasp doesn't seem like it'd come apart easily. Worst case you can buy a replacement enclosure if yours gets scratched up.
      09-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

excellent! now all we need is some vids.

also, what are your settings at (to get optimal video length without sacrificing too much quality)?
      09-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
My next event is in 3 weeks but this is how it looks mounted on the windshield, VIR in July:

Last edited by 3002 tii; 11-07-2011 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
My next event is in 3 weeks but this is how it looks mounted on the windshield, VIR in July:

looks like im playing gran tourismo!

nice driving dub!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
looks like im playing gran tourismo!

nice driving dub!
thanks man, I plan on adding more here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dubbedown?feature=mhsn
      09-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just got off the phone with Tom at Rennline. I told him I wanted a bumper mount for a Z4 and he knew exactly what the setup was. "tow hook screw and GoPro bracket but NO actual tow hook." He was very familiar with the setup for Dubbedown, so my order was a breeze. I don't think I was on the phone with Rennline more than 4 minutes and my order was complete. Thanks Dubbedown!! This is way cool. Now, all I need to do is get the GoPro!
      09-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
I just got off the phone with Tom at Rennline. I told him I wanted a bumper mount for a Z4 and he knew exactly what the setup was. "tow hook screw and GoPro bracket but NO actual tow hook." He was very familiar with the setup for Dubbedown, so my order was a breeze. I don't think I was on the phone with Rennline more than 4 minutes and my order was complete. Thanks Dubbedown!! This is way cool. Now, all I need to do is get the GoPro!
That reminds me, I'll go home and count the # of washers I had to use. But whatever that number is, put the washers on first and install the tow hook screw first. Then mount the GoPro bracket afterwards.

If you install the GoPro bracket with the screw first, and then install, the bracket may graze the bumper as you rotate it.
      09-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Good idea for a mount location. I use RAM mounts for all my vehicle mounted equipment, so already have a bunch of mix and match components and device cradles. They are incredibly solid and adjustable, and once you've got a mounting solution for a new vehicle, you can mount any other device you have an attachment for.

For this, I'll just put an inexpensive RAM ball (a few dollars) on the end of a threaded rod adaptor - should work perfectly!

This is RAM's GOPRO mounting system.

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts...5/Default.aspx

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #17
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Dubbedown, I haven't seen any of your videos from the bumper mount posted. How is it working out for you? Any issues with vibration or anything? Also, what is the rubber O-ring for on Rennline's screw mount for? Was that just to hold the washers on during shipping? Is it used when mounting to the bumper? Have you been able to check the # of washers you are using? I apologize for all the questions.

Since I now have this bumper mount, I ordered the GoPro last night. After looking at the videos from Cyrus on another thread, I am anxious to get going on this.
      09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
TriAdX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1968 Mustang - 07 Z4MC

http://4wheelonline.com/atv/Sport_Cameras.175023 Good deals on cameras.. also have a bunch of Go Pro Hero kits.. all super cheap.

2007 Z4M Coupe - 2010 Ducati 848 - 1968 Mustang 302
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dubbedown, I haven't seen any of your videos from the bumper mount posted. How is it working out for you? Any issues with vibration or anything? Also, what is the rubber O-ring for on Rennline's screw mount for? Was that just to hold the washers on during shipping? Is it used when mounting to the bumper? Have you been able to check the # of washers you are using? I apologize for all the questions.

Since I now have this bumper mount, I ordered the GoPro last night. After looking at the videos from Cyrus on another thread, I am anxious to get going on this.
Haven't done a track session since but will be doing one this weekend so can post videos afterwards. I did count but I forgot lol. I'll count again today.

I do use the black rubber washer in case when I pull the mount out of the bumper, don't want to lose any white plastic washers. Plus I think it tigtenes better using that as opposed w/o it.
      09-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriAdX View Post
http://4wheelonline.com/atv/Sport_Cameras.175023 Good deals on cameras.. also have a bunch of Go Pro Hero kits.. all super cheap.
www.ogracing.com

They were selling the LCD bacpac free if you purchased a GoPro at their normal retail price. Free shipping over $100 and orders ship fast...
      09-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Haven't done a track session since but will be doing one this weekend so can post videos afterwards. I did count but I forgot lol. I'll count again today.

I do use the black rubber washer in case when I pull the mount out of the bumper, don't want to lose any white plastic washers. Plus I think it tigtenes better using that as opposed w/o it.
Cool! Thanks for the advice! I don't do track but I do know a few good roads within 300 miles though.
      10-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #22
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool! Thanks for the advice! I don't do track but I do know a few good roads within 300 miles though.
Good news: Finally got a chance to count the # of washers, 19 in total excluding the black rubber ring.

Bad news: Non-stop rain combined with thick fog at Watkins this past weekend, apparently the worst weather they’ve ever had (multiple crashes). Therefore did not get a chance to use the GoPro mounted to my bumper, instead ran it from the interior.

OK news: Will have a chance to test it once more in 2 weeks at NJMP Lightning.