ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Patrick Gent
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Z4 Coupe Sunglass Holder - Source for Used Part?

At 108,000 miles the little clip that holds the sunglass holder closed fatigued and broke. Got the part number from Real OEM (you have to replace the whole holder), where I assume the prices are from 2007. $55.00, stiff but OK. Turns out now even from Tischer the darn part is just shy of $300.00! Yes, I own a BMW, I can pay it, it just irks me to do so.

I sent email inquiry forms to a bunch of the internet listed European salvage parts houses, no reply at all. Anyone have a suggestion for a salvage yard that maybe has a particular interest in Z's? I realize that there were few coupes made, but there have to be some sitting in a yard somewhere.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I lucked out and bought one from a trusted member here. If you keep your eyes peeled you may come across a "parting out" thread occasionally here. See if said owner will part with the sunglasses holder for $40-50.

But given the relative scarcity of the coupe, and the sunglasses holder being one of the few parts made specific to THIS chassis, I'm not surprised that they would gouge on the part. I bet none of the places listing it has it in stock, they'll have to call some random warehouse in Ontario and have it pulled from the far FAR reaches of the dungeon for it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0