ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #67
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, here's the scoop... The button showed up this afternoon and I plugged it in... At first, I thought it wasn't working. When I turn on the car, the Sport button light comes on and then goes off. When I press the Sport button, the small led does not come on, but SD shows up on the instrument panel. I ran my Carsoft software and when I press the button the live EGS Drive Program changes from "A" to "S". I just got back from driving the car and what a difference a button makes... The two things that stand out are the steering and the response of the accelerator... WOW... I drilled the hole and popped in the button... My question to anyone who has an automatic with a Sport button is does you little led stay on the sport button and do you get the SD on the instrument panel? I know on my M the led stays on as long as I have the Sport button pressed... There could still be a bug in this, but I can tell you, it really works!! btw, the Sport light on the button works just fine... that is the intensity changes with the other dash lights... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #68
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

congrats
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #69
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck I View Post
Well, here's the scoop... The button showed up this afternoon and I plugged it in... At first, I thought it wasn't working. When I turn on the car, the Sport button light comes on and then goes off. When I press the Sport button, the small led does not come on, but SD shows up on the instrument panel. I ran my Carsoft software and when I press the button the live EGS Drive Program changes from "A" to "S". I just got back from driving the car and what a difference a button makes... The two things that stand out are the steering and the response of the accelerator... WOW... I drilled the hole and popped in the button... My question to anyone who has an automatic with a Sport button is does you little led stay on the sport button and do you get the SD on the instrument panel? I know on my M the led stays on as long as I have the Sport button pressed... There could still be a bug in this, but I can tell you, it really works!! btw, the Sport light on the button works just fine... that is the intensity changes with the other dash lights... Chuck I
thats awesome! gotta see if i have the wiring. i should as my build date is 01/2003 (1 month difference). but, im a manual so i guess ill be the guinea pig for the manual people
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #70
bmwzrrrr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 3.0 and 325it

kept on edge of seat till today, waiting for my button now!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #71
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A couple pictures...

Here's a couple pictures... not much value... but.. Chuck I
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #72
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Good Job!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #73
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Does the switch "toggle?"
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #74
bten
LSU Tiger Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si

Did you drill the hole in place? What size/type bit?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #75
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I have an auto and do not have the sport button. When I take the shifter and pull it to the left, SD appears on the dash where D had been previously and the car is in sport mode.
      06-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #76
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc View Post
Does the switch "toggle?"
Yes, it functionally toggles... I can see the Drive program change when you toggle it... it goes from "A" to "S" and back. You can also see the change in RPMs when you hit the Sport button... BUT the single led on the button does not toggle.... So, it functionally works but the light on the button does not come on....(except when you first start the car, it comes on for about a second and goes back off)... Chuck I

When I say it goes from "A" to "S", that's what the Carsoft software says. On the instrument cluster you see it change from "D" to "SD"..

Last edited by Chuck I; 06-02-2009 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: more information
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #77
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Size hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bten View Post
Did you drill the hole in place? What size/type bit?

Thanks,
Yes. It's a 7/8" hole.. I used a step drill bit... I first determined the center and the drilled a small hole (1/4"}. The I used the step drill bit to finish it out. A step drill bit looks like a cone. It makes a hole progressively bigger... Or you can remove the center console and drill it that way... That would be the wise thing to do.... BUT I elected to do while it was still in position... I just had to make sure I didn't drill through the two cable under there... You just need to take your time... Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #78
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

just checked and i have the wiring! build date 01/2003
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #79
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

GREAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapa View Post
just checked and i have the wiring! build date 01/2003
Hey that's great... All you need is the button!!! Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #80
Hawker 800XP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

What a great project!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #81
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

There might be another issue...

Thanks to golferboy2312, he advises he gets both the "SD" and the led on the button. I'm just getting the "SD". According to the wiring diagram, I think I should be getting a low voltage from the EPS on pin 3 of the switch. I'ts not there. If I ground pin 3, the led comes on. I have a WDS wiring diagram CD coming. As soon as it gets here, I'll track this puppy down... The thing is, I can tell a difference in the steering with the button on... more on this project to come... Chuck I
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #82
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

hmm i have a sport package and found that same looking connector under neath which had nothing connected to it
      06-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #83
DarkRift
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire

Long time lurker, first time poster chiming in with possibly useful information...

- The Sport button LED stays lit and the "SD" is displayed on the dash indicator when I have pressed the Sport button. The button stays lit until I either manually turn it off or shut off the Zed.

- The Sport button LED does not light up when I switch to auto-stick operation by moving the shifter to the left; however the "SD" is displayed on the dash indicator.

- The Sport button LED does not light up when I switch to auto-stick operation by using the steering wheel paddle shifters; however the "SD" is displayed on the dash indicator.

- I can feel, and people outside the vehicle can actually see, the Zed physically move or change stance when I activate the Sport button while sitting still. I assume this is due to the vehicle altering suspension profiles. The effect does not occur when changing to auto-stick mode alone via shifter or paddles.

- Activating the Sport button and switching to auto-stick mode via shifter or paddles does provide a distinctly different (aka improved) experience than when I simply go to auto-stick mode alone even though the dash displays "SD".

For reference, I'm rolling a 2006 Z4 3.0si with the full sport package on board.

YMMV...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #84
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRift View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster chiming in with possibly useful information...

- The Sport button LED stays lit and the "SD" is displayed on the dash indicator when I have pressed the Sport button. The button stays lit until I either manually turn it off or shut off the Zed.

- The Sport button LED does not light up when I switch to auto-stick operation by moving the shifter to the left; however the "SD" is displayed on the dash indicator.

- The Sport button LED does not light up when I switch to auto-stick operation by using the steering wheel paddle shifters; however the "SD" is displayed on the dash indicator.

- I can feel, and people outside the vehicle can actually see, the Zed physically move or change stance when I activate the Sport button while sitting still. I assume this is due to the vehicle altering suspension profiles. The effect does not occur when changing to auto-stick mode alone via shifter or paddles.

- Activating the Sport button and switching to auto-stick mode via shifter or paddles does provide a distinctly different (aka improved) experience than when I simply go to auto-stick mode alone even though the dash displays "SD".

For reference, I'm rolling a 2006 Z4 3.0si with the full sport package on board.

YMMV...
Hey thanks for the info... Please give me you take on how the steering changes... They say it becomes more aggressive. I notice a little change, but not a major one... I'm trying to find out if my DME is talking to my EPS... Thanks, Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #85
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRift View Post
The sport button does not change your suspension settings or ride height.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #86
DarkRift
Registered
Rep

The steering quality improves, as well as the throttle response that others have called out previously. It is a noticeable improvement; however I cannot provide an exact quantification. Subjectively, I am acutely aware of a significant difference after driving in sport mode for a while.

For example, I typically drive in sport mode while on the DFW-area highways and drop back to non-sport mode when in residential areas to avoid unintended jack rabbit starts and the discussion with some of DFW's finest as they write me a nice ticket. In this scenario, the steering feels sluggish and sloppy in non-sport mode. I don't notice this when I leave the house in the morning in non-sport mode driving through the same residential areas, but I do recognize the "tighter" steering when I change to sport mode as I enter the freeway.

Again, it is a perceived difference and I don't have any hard numbers to compare. I suspect that BMW has the information buried somewhere in the engineering specs.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #87
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Hey thanks for the info... Please give me you take on how the steering changes... They say it becomes more aggressive. I notice a little change, but not a major one... I'm trying to find out if my DME is talking to my EPS... Thanks, Chuck I
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...20Dynamics.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #88
DarkRift
Registered
Rep

I won't argue with you; however there is notable physical movement when at a stand still and changing to sport mode. By standers have commented on the effect unprompted.

It very well may be that there is an issue with my Zed and will ask when I take it in for the next maintenance cycle in late June. That would fit with how my week has been going thus far...
Appreciate 0