ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Remove Windshield Wiper Arms

How do you remove them? I found a out where a source of rattle is coming from. The bottom of the windshield there is that big plastic cover (where the wipers rotate on) has one corner that is lifted up because the clip broke. I am thinking about buying the part and doing it myself but when I remove the two nuts that holds down the wipers, they dont budge. . If someone can tell me how to do it that would be great
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I had to use a gear puller.
Had to cut the 2 big grommets that the shafts come though in order to get the puller behind the arms.
New part comes with those, so it wasn't that big of a deal, just a PITA.
Had to touch up the paint on one of the arms that got scratched when the puller slipped.
      11-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I replaced the cowl on mine a while back. I tried the puller method, but I still couldn't get the damn things off. I ended up spraying some WD-40 and who knows what else in there to loosen the arms up. Then you basically just have to grab the arms and wiggle them up and down. It feels like you're going to snap the arms or strip the teeth so be careful, but they will come loose.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Tried gear puller with no luck. Finally used PB Blast and managed to get them both out. Spray some, let it sit a few minutes then wiggle the arm a bit. Repeat repeat repeat. It'll pop right off when it's ready.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
papak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I pulled mine to replace the cowl a while back. Cock them full up and patiently use the wiggle method. I might have used a little WD40, but it was basically the wiggling that did it. I recall that I reinstalled them with a very small dab of silicon grease in the spline.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Small gear puller worked for me along with pb blaster. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...551_0405868498
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

I had to use this puller, but it worked well. Tension it up then wait a few seconds. Tapping lightly with a hammer might work too. Reminds me of changing ball joints... aka PITA

OTC 4611 (Battery Terminal Puller ~$10)
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4611-Batte.../dp/B000ZIZ32W
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I was just flipping through the BavAuto summer catalog today and noticed they have a similar battery terminal/wiper arm puller for about $25.
Seemed like a good thing to have, but thought I might try and find a cheaper one.
Donoman may have saved me the trouble.
      09-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
66 6
Rep
Drives: Still looking of the right one

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I was just flipping through the BavAuto summer catalog today and noticed they have a similar battery terminal/wiper arm puller for about $25.
Seemed like a good thing to have, but thought I might try and find a cheaper one.
Donoman may have saved me the trouble.
What he said, works great and I've used it on other BMWs. Probably find a cheaper version at a local parts store.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Just clicked on the Amazon link and "others also bought" this.
      10-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

wiper puller on Ebay, 5 bucks, free shipping from china somewhere…
      01-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #12
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Good info here. My recent purchase of my 2006 Z4 MR is going to look alot better with my new windshield cowl now. I found mine for $214 free shipping from a Ebay seller called Parts Container. Listed as GENUINE BMW on the site, I'll know more when it arrives in 6 days. As nice of shape as my car is, when I did my initial go over on the pre purchase inspection, I was surprised at how chipped/ragged it was, where the piece meets the glass. BMW must have really skimped on this piece. Sure the FL Sun beats up everything, but this one piece was an eyesore from the start. I actually searched it right then and there and used the " well this part will cost me $ 300 " in my negotiation.

Can anyone tell me...do I need to put some sealer/silicone on the edge that touches the glass ?

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 01-05-2017 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Nope. It's just cosmetic trim.
      01-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #14
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
OK, thanks, where my pieces are missing it looked like there was some sealant remnants on the glass. I've been looking for a small gear puller I know is in the garage...question is...Where ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

That's probably just residue from the cowling itself and some dirt.
I replaced mine about 2 years after I bought my car and the new one lasted about 3 years.
It not only cracks up but starts turning into goo.

Same for the windshield surround, although mine seems to be holding up better than the cowling.
      01-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #16
coo-pey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

I took my '07 Coupe to the local indy and had them do it. Sure it was 30 bucks, but I tried several gear pullers and was concerned that i was going to really booger up the entire area. I figured that since they guarantee their work, if they mess it up, we are good.
      01-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #17
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Wiper Puller Ordered

Just found a puller, on Ebay from New Jersey ( although the contact by phone said Beijing Time hmmm ) $ 8.25 free shipping. My cowl came with one of the 8 glass side clips lose in the box. They appear to be attached by having the four little tabs melted down to the cowl and there is a screen type of material over the melted tab. I've had numerous emails with Douglas at Parts Container. Took lots of pictures of the unattached clip. He claims pics are not included in the Email, but I see them as attached in the Email. After trying to get them to send me a replacement cowl and let me return the one they sent, I decided to use some Loctite Super Gel glue and just be done with it. I wrote to them about all this wasted time and what they want to do about it, haven't heard back. I've tried 3 times to remove my wiper arms. Sprayed PB blaster into a plastic shot glass ( from a cough syrup container, I always save these as they come in handy ) I then dipped a Qtip into the oil and applied it to the posts. 3 different days, lots of wiggling, pulling...nothing. Yesterday, tried prying with a few various tools ( put a microfiber cloth between tools and bottom of arm so as not to scratch anything.) Felt like I had good pressure generated, lots more wiggling, pulling...nothing ! So I just placed my Ebay order for the window puller. If it wasn't that I had a new cowl ready to install, I'd be upset, as the rubber ring at the opening broke apart from the wedging and prying. So if I was just taking the arm off to repaint it, this would NOT be advisable.
I've pulled many different arms off cars over the years, generally not very difficult. Car is in great shape, I'm surprised at how tough this is proving to be. I'm a bit discouraged as the car is new to me, I've got upcoming projects I plan on tackling myself and this is proving to be a challenge.

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 01-23-2017 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 06:05 AM   #18
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Autozone loans pullers for free. You have to leave a deposit but they refund it in full when you return the tool.

The wiper arm is aluminum and the shaft is steel and there's a bit of galvanic corrosion that forms that binds the wiper arm to the shaft.

Also, before you pull the wiper arms off put some painters tape on the windshield parallel to the wiper blades to mark their position. It will make it easier to get them back in the correct location. The knurling on the wiper shaft is pretty fine and it's easy to get them installed off location by a couple degrees if you just try to eyeball it.
      01-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #19
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I think the fine knurling is only on the tapered shaft, and it cuts grooves into the arm when it's first installed.
That's why it's such a bear to remove.
Like JJ said, every other wiper arm I've ever removed had knurls more like mating gear teeth, with plenty of freeplay.
      01-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #20
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the tip on taking tape to mark the wiper angle, I would not have thought of that. Now just waiting for the tool, wish I had known about AZ having them to loan, I have one within walking distance. I now have my clutch stop, CPV O- ring ( but had to order a stubby 1/2 " flat head/3/8 drive socket ) Still need my 12 bolts ordered for the reinforcement plate reinstall. Pelican Parts has them at $ 4.75 apiece. Plus CDV removal ! I'm looking forward to my DIY projects.

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 01-26-2017 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I think the fine knurling is only on the tapered shaft, and it cuts grooves into the arm when it's first installed.
That's why it's such a bear to remove.
Like JJ said, every other wiper arm I've ever removed had knurls more like mating gear teeth, with plenty of freeplay.
The knurling is on the taper and it binds the arm to the shaft almost like it's been bonded.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/61617192969/
      02-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #22
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Cowl woes.....I bought a generic wiper puller. Would not fit the diameter of the wiper shaft. Kept adding more PB Blaster over five days, more wiggling, prying and pulling. Could not get any movement of the arms. I was determined to remove the arms. Then I saw a mini crowbar in the garage, i had picked up at the $ Store. Long story here, using the edge of the cowl over the windshield to brace a crowbar is a bad idea. Good thing FL has a NO DEDUCTIBLE INS law. Did get both arms off using the crowbar. So trying to decide if I should install the new cowl, before or after my new glass gets installed by Safelite here at the house on Sat. I bought some new rivets from the Stealership and coated the cowl and all fasteners, wire holders and the drain collectors with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Stuff seems like the best UV protection out there for plastics, leather and rubber. Did install the Clutch Stop, after a few adjustments got it dialed in just to engage/disengage the clutch. Took it right to the point where the car won't start if it's out any farther. Really like the shorter throw.

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 02-04-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0