ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #45
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
Yes. Only mine seems to slam a little hard, like its gonna crack my windshield.
OK. I mean, mine does slam kind of hard too, but not enough to make me think it will crack the windshield. The video doesn't really do a good job of capturing the sound/feel of it slamming really. Looking forward to a DIY one day hopefully!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #46
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

05-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #47
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

So this is the before or after? It still seems to slam a bit, so can't tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #48
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCZ4 View Post
So this is the before or after? It still seems to slam a bit, so can't tell.
I'll have to take another video. This is the 'after' video and it doesn't slam at all, what you are hearing is the 'tick' of the hooks touching the metal. For some reason the tick sounds way louder than it does in real life.

I'll see if I can take another video tonight.
      05-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #49
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So I tried making another video, and it picks up the same loud click. I guess it's one of those things you have to see in person.

There is a clicking sound when the metal latches touch, but it's very different from the original slamming noise of the roof hitting the cowl.
      05-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #50
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

Sounds good. Please post up the DIY when you get the chance. I'd love to get this done. Mine slams into the cowl...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #51
Mike W
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 E85

Do these straps affect the top when it drops into the boot? I've had the motor replaced as well as the side pistons and a new top but the new top drops into the boot like a load of bricks when it is about 3/4 open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
There are elastic straips called bow straps that loose their elasticity over time (at least on Z3s and most probably on all convertable tops). There is no adjustment but they need to be replaced. This is just a predicatble wear item when one has a ragtop. Your Z4 is over eight years old so the bow straps probably have little or no elasticity left in them. These straps, I learned, play a big role in both preventing the top from closing too quickly and in helping the top open.

I discovered it is good practice to replace these straps whenever the top canvas is replaced. Not all trim shops will tell you this and reinstall the old worn straps. I learned about this three years ago when I took my Z3 with a top that operated perfectly to a local trim shop to have the worn canvas replaced. I got the car back with good canvass but a top that no longer worked properly. It slammed shut and needed a manual push to break the "knuckle" when opening. The much stiffer new canvas just overwhelmed the no longer elastic bow straps. It would have been relatively cheap to replace them when the top was replaced but I did not know about them at the time.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #52
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Just finished installing the straps, I was gonna write a DIY but my phone died after taking 1 picture

This definitely works to stop the slamming, the difference is night and day. There is tension on the straps when the roof is closed as well, so I bet this fixes the slam into the trunk also.

Just want to clarify a few things that would've helped me:
- The elastic straps are an install-only deal. They aren't already on the car and worn out, meaning you aren't "replacing" anything.
- I used a phillips driver and a T20 on a small swivel ratchet. A flashlight is a must, and one that you can wear on your head would be nice.
- The luggage cover and the front half of the headliner need to come out/off
- A small pillow or sweater to cushion yourself is a good idea. I had to squeeze into the trunk and that shit hurts after a few minutes.
- I used a translated Russian language copy of BMW TIS and finished in less than two hours. PM me if you want the link, or use your own Google-fu.

PN is 54347184482, you need 2 of them and they come with screws. Around $20 from Tischer.

Last edited by yousefnjr; 10-29-2013 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: part number
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #53
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Nice to know.

You know, if you would have asked, some of us could have forwarded you a copy of the English TIS procedures as a PDF...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #54
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by que4523 View Post
SI B54 14 07
Special Roofs

November 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Soft Top Slams Down on the Cowl when Closing

MODEL
E85 (Z4 Roadster)

SITUATION
When the soft top is being closed, the front section of it slams down on the cowl.

CAUSE
Toward the end of its travel, the soft top is moving too quickly.

CORRECTION
Install 2 elastic straps to the soft top frame.

These elastic straps run from the rear bow (just above the rear window) to the main bow (in the middle of the closed soft top)

Each strap is secured to each side of the rear bow using the same fastening hole as the tension strap, and secures to the main bow using the outermost headliner fastening point.

PROCEDURE

Install 2 elastic straps per repair instruction RA 54 34 217.

NOTES:
^ It may be helpful to remove the soft top canvas cover, but this is not necessary for the repair.

^ It is necessary to remove the front half of the headliner. This also allows for the necessary access to feed the elastic strap from the rear bow to the main bow.

PARTS INFORMATION

Part Number Description Quantity
54 34 7 184 482 Elastic Strap 2

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances.

If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code: 54 31 13 01 00
Do the repair instructions RA 54 34 217 Come with the straps? If not where do I get a copy? Great write up thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #55
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf View Post
Do the repair instructions RA 54 34 217 Come with the straps? If not where do I get a copy? Great write up thank you!!
Here is RA 54 34 217
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RA 54 34 217 Replacing both rubber straps.pdf (450.6 KB, 1321 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #56
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 X3 2.5i, '06 z4M, '17 M2

Reviving an old thread! Just completed this repair this past weekend and I wrote up a DIY for it that can be found here http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...1#post19780501

2017 M2 - Camber Hubs, MPE, and some other goodies
2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Gone, but not forgotten!
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #57
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
So after 6 months of slamming shut and finding out after reading this post 3 weeks ago that I need the strap kit...my inner plastic roof cover ( will have THAT part number later today ) cracked apart and was hanging from the LONE ONE bolt on the DS. the two center both cracked and gave, the PS was always missing. After 3 trips to Bert Smith BMW in St Pete and having TWO different parts guys go out and look at the car ( longer story here, but I need to get to a client soon ) I got the call that my 4 bolts/clips had arrived and hopefully this time they ordered the correct ones....except NOW, there is no plastic to attach the two centers to. I hated to do it, but I used wrong bolts.big flat fender washers and Gorilla Glue Super Duct tape I secured the piece. When I first had them look at it, to get the missing PS bolt, I had them look up the cover, I think it was $ 250 or so...it's all in my file.

Anyone have my best/cheapest option to replace ? Junk yard/Zpost classified for a wrecked parted out Z4 Black part ?

Figure when I find the cover, I'll order the strap kit and do them at the same time.
      05-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #58
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

^^ I would bet that any junkyard finds would be in similar condition, 10 year old plastic I remember looking into this a couple years ago and had trouble finding the individual pieces I needed, and a whole new roof was big bucks

I should also add that the straps will only work as long as the plastic they mount to is intact...
      05-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #59
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
I have the part and screws in my "future purchase" queue at ECS. I think repeated slamming on the top of the windshield pillar causes the plastic to crack over time. I'm using the manual fix now .......... I place my hand at the top when it's closing to gently cushion the fall
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #60
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I've been cushioning the fall for a couple weeks now. I actually think this helped in cracking part number 54-31-7-056-282 Windshield504 List is $ 282.50, Sr Parts Manager felt bad about me having to come in 4 times/2 different parts guys out to look at screws/bolts ( one of which was him the FIRST time ) just for me to get my ONE missing screw/bolt ! So he can come down to $ 225 out the door. I'm now stopping the drop by easing the button control as it gets close to closing, then for the last inch or so, I reach up on the DS metal linkage and ease it down slowly. I'd like to be able to do that on both sides, but without 3 arms, or an extra person...impossible. My AM fix seems OK, drove the car all afternoon, up and down 3 times. Only visible, during open/close, so it's not killing me, but I will want the previously mentioned part at some point.

Yousefnjr- yeah, if the right situation happened, local junkyard gets in a Z4, maybe totaled and had been well maintained, I MIGHT find one worth installing. Plus I do see cars getting parted out on here, for the right price I MIGHT consider it. I really think I'll be purchasing a new one. Funny thing : Parts Manager says " we keep those in stock, people are always breaking them " ... they probably don't realize the tension straps are shot, so it's just going to happen again.

Quoted me Lt $36.80 Rt $37.03 Mounting hardware $9.73 Now I'm wondering what kinda shape the plastic is in they connect to as mentioned by Yousefnjr.

Thanks for the feedback...my blood pressure shot up over this whole thing this AM
      05-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #61
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Interesting. This is a great thread. Going to check mine this weekend and see if it's due for this maintenance.
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR29.00
      05-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #62
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
... I actually think this helped in cracking part number 54-31-7-056-282 ...
Mine's cracked, too. Just above the lock motor access panel.
I was thinking the exact same reason.
I've eased up on how much pressure I put on it when holding it from slamming.
      05-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #63
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I think NOT touching the plastic will help. Metal link avoids this just fine, along with feathering the close top button. I searched online for new, $225 with local pickup is as good as I could find with lowest price being able to be found for $ 202 ( but then $ 25 for shipping )

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 05-19-2017 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #64
Juggernaught5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

Here's the BMW tech document for the strap installation.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RA 54 34 217 Replacing both rubber straps.pdf (503.8 KB, 209 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #65
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Dang, something else to worry about. I've been very gentle with mine, more or less easing it down, but I guess I'll really give it a gentle touch, now. I'm still not putting on the straps I have in a drawer until I need to do something else that requires tearing off the roof.

Anyone have a tear in their headliner? I found a little tear in mine on both sides that must have been there all along and I just never noticed. I'm debating trying to stitch it up in-place, or maybe putting some little roundels or M patches over it...you know, since the Z4M has so few M's on it.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #66
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Dang, something else to worry about. I've been very gentle with mine, more or less easing it down, but I guess I'll really give it a gentle touch, now. I'm still not putting on the straps I have in a drawer until I need to do something else that requires tearing off the roof.

Anyone have a tear in their headliner? I found a little tear in mine on both sides that must have been there all along and I just never noticed. I'm debating trying to stitch it up in-place, or maybe putting some little roundels or M patches over it...you know, since the Z4M has so few M's on it.

Salty
Are the tears in what would be the "B Pillar" area on a hard top. If so, check to see if your pinch shields are still in place on the top frame. They're plastic plates that sit on the inside of the B Pillar area of the top frame that are intended to keep the headliner from finding its way into pinch points on the frame when you lower the top.