ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-26-2015, 03:48 AM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

bought aFe intake but it won't fit

i just bought an Afe CAI from a member on here named bryanm70 who claimed the intake would fit the 2.5 or 3.0. well it doesn't fit on my 2004 3.0.

i just tried to install it but the MAF and the intake housing are like identical sizes so neither goes over or in or around the other, they just butt up against each other.

step 9 from the DIY instructions show what it should be like: http://afepower.com/catalog/51-10661/is.pdf

if you notice my pics here you will see what i am talking about. just wondering if anyone else noticed this or if there is a work around or if i should just ask for my money back...?

01-26-2015, 04:49 AM   #2
ZMCoupe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Sorry to hear about your troubles... From the instructions you linked it appears there are two different kits. 54-10651 for the 2.5L and 54-10661 for the 3.0L. What does your kit say? You may just need to replace the MAF piece but you need to find out if that's the only difference between the two...
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #3
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
If you are set on making this one work, I would call up aFe and ask them what the part differences are, and ask to purchase those parts. aFe has excellent customer support. Otherwise, ask for your money back or try and resell it. As a lesson learned, always confirm fitment through an entity other than the seller.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
t0pless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

Measure the diameter of both of them. If it's slightly different you can still get away with it. All you need is a rubber intake coupler and some worm clamps (t clamps if it really matters to you) but you don't need it to be vacuum tight between these junctions since you're naturally aspirated. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

AFE customer service very helpful. unfortunately they did not know the difference but the machined adapter part was $75 on its own. now i have to wait for that part to come in and my fingers are crossed that it fits, else i will be figuring out something with couplers and clamps.

only problem with the couplers and clamps idea is that ideally the entire thing fits pretty tight and there is not much extra space to work with in there and if one doesn't fit inside the other like it was designed and swallow up that 3/4" of material then i am left with an extra 3/4" of material plus whatever gap there is with the rubber coupler thing so probably like an 1" of added material where there shouldn't be so it is going to push against the MAF pretty good. just going to be a really tight squeeze if i have to go that route so i'm hoping the adapter is the only difference.