ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
apbx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 (3.5i)

WTB: Navigation harness

Searching for anyone who has the navigation harness for sale , I am doing a retrofit but can't move forward without the harness and if possible the gps harness. thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
IAmOrion
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E85 2003 3.0i

I *may* have one coming soon. I've recently removed my DVD Drive, Screen, Navigation Headunit and 6 CD Changer from my 2003 E85. I intend to get the loom out tomorrow.

The reason I say *may* is because someone has asked me about the entire bundle including the loom as they want to retro fit too so will let you know in a few days.

I will most likely advertise the entire kit here in the next few days, although I gather this is more of a US based site and member base where as I'm in the UK
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #3
apbx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

okay please let me know
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
IAmOrion
Rep

Sorry to disappoint, I attempted to remove my harness as a few retro-fitters told me it would be easy as BMW used to sell the loom separately. Trouble was, since mine was installed from factory its wrapped with everything else to form a combined harness so without stripping the car down to a shell pretty much (so interior out, carpets out etc) there's no way of separating it.

Best I could offer is to cut the plugs off with as much cable as possible front & rear which would require some one to need plenty of wire to reconnect it all with enough additional so it could be routed from the rear to the front.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #5
apbx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was just thinking that , but If you can cut it with enough length I would be interested . Let me know how much you want for it. thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
IAmOrion
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbx3 View Post
I was just thinking that , but If you can cut it with enough length I would be interested . Let me know how much you want for it. thank you
I'll measure up and try and take a photo sometime later today and post it here to give you an idea.

As you're based in the States, using a UK based company called www.parcel2go.com the postage costs range from £10 ($13) to £25 ($33) depending on the speed of the service chosen

I'm honestly not sure of the "going rate" for the harness connectors to be honest - I've seen retrofit harnesses prices at $300 but obviously that's a complete loom (albeit no longer available) - I will have a think - and in the mean time feel free to let me know your opinion on a price too.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:46 PM   #7
apbx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am okay with slowest shipping rate, let me know on a price for the connectors I can solder the wires . Thank you again for the update
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
IAmOrion
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbx3 View Post
I am okay with slowest shipping rate, let me know on a price for the connectors I can solder the wires . Thank you again for the update
Hello Buddy,

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday, only just managed to to get to the cables again today as it's a pain in the arse just to get the bits I CAN get to!

However in the process of doing all this for you this morning, I've managed to completely smash and destroy my iPhone
, I've left a plug attached to the loom, and clearly cut a wrong wire as now as I have NO power to half my electrics and the Radio etc doesn't work (And obv. I've quadruple checked every fuse etc etc). So, the cost has risen to £1200 ($1500) to cover all breakages, replacements, and re wiring I'll have to now do haha

All joking & suffering aside, here are the pics of the plugs and the wire lengths left on each part:

This is the REAR section, which has a lot on length. This reached from the centre console, out the back of it, round to the passenger side corner behind the speaker panelling area.

These are a close up of the plugs / connectors:

(The Blue / Pink are for the navigation dvd drive. The others I believe are the 6 CD Changer)

This is the FRONT connection that ran back to rear of the car under the carpets etc to the rear cable connection. This plugs into the CID / Screen

there was very little amount of reachable cable so I'm afraid this is cut short - however "plenty" to solder onto

From matching the wiring colour codes, these 2 plugs in the Head unit connector block are for the 6 CD Changer. I haven't cut these off the head unit end yet as you may already have them. PLEASE DO LET ME KNOW if you need these too and I will cut off also.

I have to do more checks tomorrow in terms of fixing my now no longer working stereo and stuff but I'm pretty sure it's to do with the connector block circled in red

So there may be one or 2 wires "missing" from the plug itself, but in theory you would already have them as factory wiring (You should already have one of these plugs I believe) so you would have to investigate and combine.

[EDIT: It's been bought to my attention on a different forum that the connector block circled is supposed to STAY WITH THE CAR and is NOT part of the required harness, as yours (and all vehicles do) already have that connection, you would just need to add any wires required (which may not even be needed at all!) ]

You'll obviously need to make your own "tunnel" section / extension that's the length of the center column with enough extra to reach the rear passenger corner behind the speaker / rear panel. re-joining should *hopefully* be fairly straight forward as it's just colour matching so to speak.

Let me know if you're still interested etc and we can then hash out a price.

Postage to the USA is £16 ($20.69) which includes insurance cover of £150 ($194). The cost might reduce a little depending on the cover of insurance you want. If you DON'T want insurance at all, then the postage cost is only £10 ($13). All these prices are classed as "Economy" as they can take 5 - 10 days to arrive.

Added:

Also, the GPS is too deeply buried in the dash etc, but I've been told you can pick up GPS antennas with the correct connection to the rear of the unit off eBay cheaply (for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Active-A...gAAOSwceNZW1Cy) but you would have to double check the SMB screw thread fitting.

The wiring I cut off does have the GPS wire in it (so you'll be able to compare the thread fitment to the rear of the dvd unit) but doesn't have the actual GPS Antenna

Last edited by IAmOrion; 07-13-2017 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Additional info about GPS
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
apbx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

he yes I am very interested , no need for the gps cable I manage to get one just need the rest shown on the picture , I can solder the need cable strength. here is a link that shows the all the connections to the retrofit harness http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/j...V_Retrofit.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
IAmOrion
Rep

Yeah, I already have that PDF amongst my collection - someone sent it to me when I first looked into taking out my harness for the navigation as they figured it would be the same. Unfortunately as I mentioned before, it's NOT. The harness is a combined complete harness, therefore some of the connections don't exist, OR, can't be supplied as they are required in the car still.

Working Left to Right in the image, only on the A sections (and not the B - GPS Section),

I've no idea where A7 and A8 go to in my car, or even that the connection exists as shown due to mine being factory fitted, and the picture referring to a separate specifically built retrofit cable. So you may have to figure them out yourself - I will double check my head unit terminal block tomorrow morning to see if there's any wire going into Pin 5 and Pin 11 that it mentions, but I don't believe it does.

A6 is included - it's this one:

A5 and A4 are included - these are the Blue / Pink connectors here:

A3 doesn't exist in the factory loom - I'm presuming the "cable eye" as they call it is simply a grounding wire. Eg, it's connected to the metal body of the car using a bolt somewhere. That's also how it looks from the retrofit instructions

A9, A1 & A2 don't exist as such in my factory loom. These connections were specific to the separately sold retrofit harness.

Now, there IS 1 white 12 pin block connector, which in theory could be either A1 or A2 which is the one I circled in this pic:

However, because this is factory wiring, and not the separate harness this connection is actually required to be reconnected to my car as this is the reason (Being that I cut wires I shouldn't have trying to keep it with the harness I'm trying to supply, when I should have actually removed the wires including the female bullet terminal out of this white socket, and left the remaining wires intact.) why I've lost power and stereo / audio and other functions in the vehicle. Primarily because at least one of those pins is the primary power line to the head unit.

That being said, you *should* have one, if not both of the A1 & A2 connectors already fitted in your current factory harness. You would have to work out which of the female bullet connector terminals connect to which male in the plug block itself and then add them in place into that block if that makes sense.

The separately sold retrofit harness is design to REPLACE the existing harness one might have in their car. So what ever A1/A2 connectors you already have would be unplugged, and have the ones from the retrofit harness plugged in instead. In this instance, you would have to work out combining this harness with yours - KEEPING your current A1/A2 connector blocks and adding in the additional included on the bundle I've cut off.

A9 is also a separate fuse for the retrofit kit, which of course, since mine was factory fitted, isn't part of any separate harness.

Last edited by IAmOrion; 07-13-2017 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
apbx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

okay let me know how much you want for the pig tails
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #12
IAmOrion
Rep

I honestly don't know how to price them. Until 2014, the nav harness cost $110 apparently, but they are now obsolete/discontinued (Production ended 2014). I've since seen the odd harness on eBay for around $280 (Obviously the complete retrofit harness)

I was recently offered £150 ($194) which included next day postage (inside the UK).

Having spoken with a few others in other forums, these can be worth both nothing and everything at the same. Worth nothing to someone like me who has no interest in the stock/oem kit and removing it, but they can be worth a fortune to someone going about the retrofit project themselves, or, buying to components as a set and having these included.

So, whilst I don't want to rip anyone off, I also don't want to give them away, and the prices mentioned are the only few prices I have to go by.

$280 is far too much of course, as these would be considered a DIY harness, but, as an example $170 could be a good price... I only really know what people here in the UK have been paying. Whole different market and economy in the US!

Please do let me know what you consider them to be worth.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 02:18 AM   #13
IAmOrion
Rep

Quick Update:

I managed to locate the head unit wiring pins info pic

So I DO have the plugs for A7 and A8 after all...

A7 & A8 are BOTH on connection block C

The other connection block as I suspected is for the CD Changer - so I do have the required plugs and will cut off shortly to go with the rest
Appreciate 0