ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #23
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep
Drives: 2006 Imola Red Z4 M Roadster

pokeybritches
Lieutenant

Drives: 06 MR, 03 3.0i

Apex ARC-8 in satin black. I'll put up some pics once mine arrive. I'm a stingy government worker that doesn't buy anything I haven't thoroughly researched... although since I flew F-18's, I will never buy anything that say "F14"... the Forgestars DO look good. My money is on Apex because they cater only to BMW and their business depends on us, I appreciate their honesty in regards to strength testing, and their price for spun-forged wheels is unbeatable. It's a business-only suit look. Those that know, appreciate it. Those that don't - F 'em.

You flew "Hornets".... nice. Kind of off topic, but were you based in Lemoore? If you were, did you know a Dean Coester? Thanks for the input on wheels. Cheers
Joe
      03-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #24
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Yeah, I flew single seat legacies out in Lemoore. It was a blast! Some of the Bravos I trained on are pushing 30+ years old. I don't believe I've had the honor of meeting Dean Coester, unless he was one of the sim instructors whose real name I didn't know. Circumstances have forced me to redesignate (medical, downsizing, grades, etc.), so I'm headed over to the Seabee side now. I figured it was the only other place I could carry a gun and blow things up. I miss flying, and especially miss buzzing the nudist colony out in R-2508 at about 200 ft and 550 kts. No exhaust will ever make the Z4 as obnoxious as a Hornet.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

I envy you for having the opportunity to fly F-18's. Yea! you would know Dean if he was anywhere near your time frame awesome crazy Character (my Cousin). He flew Hornets out of Lemoore and then went to United Airlines. I'm flying for Fedex, but came up through the civilian route. Nice to meet you. Cheers

Joe
      03-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #26
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^goodness me, i'm a pilot too! well, almost 5 months out from wings

there's got to be a correlation between sexy jets and fast cars....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #27
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Damn...I wanna be a pilot. When is it too late to start learning?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #28
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post

Yep.... don't forget fast woman and old scotch and then we get married to nurses or teachers

CONGRATS!!!!!!
      03-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #29
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Damn...I wanna be a pilot. When is it too late to start learning?
Never to late! go to your local airport and take an intro lesson
      03-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #30
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

How about flying jets? I have to have 20/20 vision, and tons of credentials/training? Wasn't it like....1% of all examinees get to fly jets?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #31
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
How about flying jets? I have to have 20/20 vision, and tons of credentials/training? Wasn't it like....1% of all examinees get to fly jets?

If you're wanting to fly military jets, you will need to jump through a bunch of hoops. You're age, college degree, and an officer candidate school. I'm not sure what the age cutoff is or the commitment requirement is, but I'm sure one of the other guys do. Just guessing I would say the max age before starting an OCS would be around 27 with a 4 year accredited degree already completed and yes an eye sight requirement. There are other options like applying to a guard unit, but you need connections and still have the above requirements. I'm civilian background, so I'm sure one of the other guys will have some better info for you. Good luck!
      03-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #32
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

One thing to consider re: wheels is will a BBK fit with them? With the all that power (s/c), and if you track the car (or plan to), the stock brakes are going to be easily overpowered. Just something to consider....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #33
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
I have Custom advan's RS-D in Piano Black and it gives a real ricer look, the weight is really good 17lbs for 9.5" and 19lbs for 10". They look Good but not everyone like how much contrast you get with them. If was today I would go with the platinum black that was what I had before what makes the car much more sophisticated.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #34
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I apologize in advance for the long OT post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tdog View Post
I envy you for having the opportunity to fly F-18's. Yea! you would know Dean if he was anywhere near your time frame awesome crazy Character (my Cousin). He flew Hornets out of Lemoore and then went to United Airlines. I'm flying for Fedex, but came up through the civilian route. Nice to meet you. Cheers

Joe
Thanks for the kind words, and nice to meet you as well. I hear Fedex is the way to go. I knew a former P-3 pilot in Annapolis who got out and flew for Fedex. He was doing VERY well for himself around the time the airlines were all getting pay/pension cuts. I couldn't have done the civilian route- too expensive!

Quote:

Congrats! It's funny... half of the cars in the officer spaces are performance cars. My old CO drove a red Z06. Right now we have several C6 Vettes, an STI, Evo, E92 M3, 335i, Porsche Cayman S, and my M.

Quote:
Yep.... don't forget fast woman and old scotch and then we get married to nurses or teachers

CONGRATS!!!!!!
Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote:
It's all based on what the Navy needs. I went through the Academy, which is definitely the most difficult route. The Academy likes to say 10% of applicants get in; I don't know if that's 10% of qualified applicants that complete the entire screening process/medical exams/obtain a congressional nomination/etc. or 10% of people who tell a recruiter they would like to go there end up actually going. 75% graduate. 25% of graduates get a Navy pilot slot. 80% finish API and Primary flight training. 15% get jets. Only a fraction get single seat.

It's not easy to convince the government to hand over a $40 million supersonic strike fighter loaded with ordinance to a guy in his mid-twenties and have him land it on an aircraft carrier. The other way of looking at it is this: the high value unit of a carrier strike group is the carrier; the purpose of the carrier is the aircraft; tens of thousands of people bring the ordinance halfway across the world, but one pilot is trusted to bring it through the final and most dangerous few hundred miles to support the guys risking their lives on the ground. It's a lot of pressure. I never had to drop in combat and won't take credit away from those that have, or pretend to be a war hero when I'm not. But, all through training it's constantly in every pilot's mind, especially when we are dropping real bombs on real targets during CAS flights. Hell, it's even intense from a financial standpoint- one LGTR (laser-guided training round) costs about $12k, and each flight hour probably costs about $15k. With that math a division of four jets for two hours with two LGTRs each is over 200 grand for the flight.

These days jets are extremely complex, a vast number of safety procedures have been added, and PRK (a type of laser eye surgery) has been approved. So, with a greater number of people physically qualified to fly and less aircraft (and money) available, the Navy is able to pick and choose who it wants. Like anything in the military, the demand for jet pilots goes in waves. I didn't originally get a pilot slot out of the Academy. The Navy kicked out too many pilots in training and had ten more slots open up; I got one of those ten. There were guys with much higher grades than I had through Primary that didn't get jets, simply because they graduated from training a month earlier or later. To be honest I didn't even know if I would graduate from Primary because my grades started out so low, but I was able to rock the later stages and eventually met the jet minimums. That month they needed jet pilots, so I got a slot.

It took three years to get my wings after four years of the Academy. After that I had an eight year commitment. Air Force pilots get their wings a little more quickly- I believe after "intermediate" whereas the Navy does it after completion of "advanced" training, but the Air Force commitment is ten years instead of eight. After that you're so far into your career that it's extremely difficult to transition to any other community and restart the pipeline. If you decide to be a pilot, that's pretty much what you're going to be doing for your career.

Jets are loud. Because of this, once you get to a squadron you will probably be stationed in the middle of nowhere (Lemoore) or in an area where the Navy had to compensate each resident $30k because of the jet noise even though the base was there long before the houses were built (Oceana). You'll work extremely intense 15 hour days and be away from your home base 8+ months out of the year. It's hard on families, and you'll see the best and worst in relationships. There are a lot of days when your only motivation to continue is the fact that you're flying military jets, and you took someone else's dream slot. Then there are other days where you see and do things so cool you're unable to articulate its coolness to anyone you know... except to someone equally as cool as you are, another jet pilot

I guess my point is this: don't join expecting to fly jets. The best you can do is work hard and pray the chips fall where you want. There's a lot of luck involved. Anyone who says they got it solely because they are good is full of shit. No matter how good you are, there's always someone better who can take away your spot. At the same time, there's a reason most Navy recruiting commercials have a loaded F/A-18 screaming around on the screen. It's the closest a man can get to playing God.

The civilian route is a different kind of hard, and a different kind of sacrifice, as fr8tdog could probably tell you. Captains live the good life, but they went through a lot of study and expense to get there... and had a career of "not screwing up."

Quote:
If you're wanting to fly military jets, you will need to jump through a bunch of hoops. You're age, college degree, and an officer candidate school. I'm not sure what the age cutoff is or the commitment requirement is, but I'm sure one of the other guys do. Just guessing I would say the max age before starting an OCS would be around 27 with a 4 year accredited degree already completed and yes an eye sight requirement. There are other options like applying to a guard unit, but you need connections and still have the above requirements. I'm civilian background, so I'm sure one of the other guys will have some better info for you. Good luck!
As far as I know this is entirely correct. The chances of joining a Guard unit are slim to none, as a lot of active duty guys try and join Guard units when they finish up their commitments. No one in their right mind would spend $4 million to train someone up to fly jets on the weekends. If they show up with wings on their uniform and 2000+ flight hours, it's much easier to hire them on.

Anyway, back to wheels: If you don't spring for the Apex wheels, check out the Advan RS. The RS-D have the dish, and the RS have concavity. They break from the 7- or 8-spoke norm, and look a little larger than they actually are.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #35
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^ tt pretty much sums the entire pilot process up, albeit mine's a slightly different story since i'm in the air force, and no, not the us air force
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #36
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
^ tt pretty much sums the entire pilot process up, albeit mine's a slightly different story since i'm in the air force, and no, not the us air force
I agree....very well put Pockeybritches and thanks for the input on wheels
      03-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #37
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
One thing to consider re: wheels is will a BBK fit with them? With the all that power (s/c), and if you track the car (or plan to), the stock brakes are going to be easily overpowered. Just something to consider....
Yea, very good point! as I'm planning to upgrade my brakes to the 4 brake stop tech and will need to make sure expensive wheels allow for these expensive brakes$$$ a lot of money to not get it right.
      03-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #38
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokaef View Post
I have Custom advan's RS-D in Piano Black and it gives a real ricer look, the weight is really good 17lbs for 9.5" and 19lbs for 10". They look Good but not everyone like how much contrast you get with them. If was today I would go with the platinum black that was what I had before what makes the car much more sophisticated.
platinum black sounds very nice!!
      03-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #39
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

OZ Ultraleggeras in black on my 07 Z4M Imola Red Roadster....

Quote:
Looking to get new wheels and want light weight for obvious performance, but curious what you guys think would look good in 18"?? I value everyones opinion! My car is an imola red M roadster and also looking to upgrade brakes with red brembo brake calipers. Thanks guys
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Just about to install the CF splitter, Turner Motorsports CF kidney grilles and CF mirror covers....the black and red is freakin' awesome.
      03-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #40
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

I would have thought that after flying a fighter jet a fast car wouldn't do much for a pilot... My uncle used to be a Captain in the Italian Airforce Acrobatic scuadron and I went to a couple of his airshows and saw some of the planes up close and personal, I can't imagine how cool it's got to be to fly a fighter jet... some day I'll rent a few minutes of flight time in a Mig or something.
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #41
Shereef_Osman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC & 89 325is

Quote:
Nah, it's not that big a difference. The stockies actually aren't all that heavy from what I remember. Unless you do like...14" forged wheels which weigh maybe 10 lbs. each LOL....the difference here isn't so much in the wheels though.
Here's an example:
my 19" TE37's only weigh 19-some lbs. even for the largest wheel out back, which is sized 19x10.5 +22. But the highly-reinforced 19" tire is what kills the overall weight combo. 19" tires look thin, but due to the thinness, they're quite reinforced. So they are actually pretty darn heavy.
Whereas a 14" wheel may be 10lbs. each, and is only 9 lbs. lighter than my wheel only. However, the weight savings is in the tires that mounts up on it. 14" tires LOOK big, but they're probably a ton lighter than my 19" tires =]

So basically most of the difference is in the tires. So just get some nice tires and alignment and a set of "lightweight" (under 20 lbs.) wheels and you'll be set
Maybe it's cause you are running 19s? But every time I switch between my stocks and my APEX track wheels, the feeling is night and day. Stock is somewhere around 24lbs I believe, and the APEX Arc 8s are around 18lbs? Quite a big difference. Can definitely feel it even when just swapping wheels for a track day.

I would say if you are looking for performance over looks, stick with an 18" wheel. BBS RGR and Volk TE37SL are my favourites. APEX Arc8 is a quality wheel as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #42
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 M coupe

performance and lower cost and Japanese look= volk racing
performance with "wow" and higher costs and higher end german look = BBS 2 pc wheels

BMW's look better with deep lip BBS's

my 2 cents

Matt black is getting boring

H&R Coilovers, BBS LM-R 19's, K&N Drop Filter.
SS step headers, race cats, x pipe, sport mufflers
Brembo BBK Yellow
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #43
cmark8
M52, M62TU, S50US, S54, S65
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT, E36 Touring MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shitbrownMcoupe View Post
performance and lower cost and Japanese look= volk racing
performance with "wow" and higher costs and higher end german look = BBS 2 pc wheels

BMW's look better with deep lip BBS's

my 2 cents

Matt black is getting boring
I wouldn't consider volk or work lower cost... I'd put them up there with BBS. Just my personal preference though. I love the BBS wheels I've had so far (LM, CH (custom offset) and RS-GT)... But I also love Volk TE-37... G2, Work Meisters... Brombacher. But then again, it's my personal opinion and I'm a wheel whore .

1995 E36 M3 USA / 2002 E46 M3 SMG / 2008 E90 M3 6MT
1996 E36 328i Touring 5MT / 1998 E36 323Ti M Sport 5MT
2002 E39 540i Protection
Appreciate 0