ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

CSL Airbox Ram Air

In case someone buys a CSL Airbox I have found the following possible solutions to create a good airflow for the airbox.

1)The Karbonius has this carbon snorkel. On their website they state that this is for the M3. Cost: 376,03 without VAT and shipping.

http://www.karbonius.es/web_ing/prod.../base_bmw.html

2) From Motorsport24.de I have found those Ram Airs:

http://www.motorsport24.de/en/z4-e86...-carousel-8230

And those little guys here:

3) Various other solutions I have found on the net :
A simple solutions but I don't know the manufacturer:

Another Carbon Ram Air but I don't know the manufacturer:

I would like to order the Karbonius Airbox so I guess the perfect fit is the snorkel from the Karbonius. However I can not be sure if it the best solution for the air and if any of the other solutions might be better for bringing more air.

Anyone has tried a matching of those solutions?

Does the Z4M has significant differences on how the airflow comes to the car from the M3 that those products are made for?

Last edited by FD3S; 01-12-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Yes, the air intake system for the CSL is completely different to the Z4M.
We already have a ram effect through the front grille, you would be far better off getting a Z4M specific box from someone like Evolve, rather than try to recreate a ram effect in the lower fang areas which was never designed to do so.
Appreciate 2
FD3S69.50
3GFX722.50
      01-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

#3 with "MPOWER" is OEM BMW for the CSL E46.

I don't think any of these options will fit. The E46M3 shape is very different from the Z4M. I think your best bet is eliminating the OEM water protection plastic part of the OEM opening, then maybe adding a scoop in front of the OEM opening.

Also the Evolve air box is not specific to Z4M. It is E46M3 specific but just happens to fit the Z4M.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      01-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

More info:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/09/14/ev...tune-bmw-z4-m/
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      01-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

My bad, I thought the evolve was Z4M specific. Mine is a goke one which is z4m specific (nla though I think) which does meet and seal with the original inlet hole behind the grill. Trying to pick up firstly cold air and create a ram effect by using the M3 snorkel and the fang duct would be rather tricky I'd imagine.
I thought about using an RPI scoop or similar instead of the OEM plastic part at the front of the grill, but there is some evidence to suggest that this part actually creates a ram air effect, much as RPI would like you to believe otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
EMKOOP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Currently running the Evolve airbox with a RPI scoop with no ill effects that I can sense.
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      01-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTK View Post
Yes, the air intake system for the CSL is completely different to the Z4M.
We already have a ram effect through the front grille, you would be far better off getting a Z4M specific box from someone like Evolve, rather than try to recreate a ram effect in the lower fang areas which was never designed to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMKOOP View Post
Currently running the Evolve airbox with a RPI scoop with no ill effects that I can sense.

So as I understand the main ram air effect in our cars is through the front grille. Right?

To be honest I am not convinced that the Evolve Airbox has better ram air effect than the Karbonius. With the end of the pipe looking down I can not understand the better airflow.

Last edited by FD3S; 01-12-2017 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
#3 with "MPOWER" is OEM BMW for the CSL E46.

I don't think any of these options will fit. The E46M3 shape is very different from the Z4M. I think your best bet is eliminating the OEM water protection plastic part of the OEM opening, then maybe adding a scoop in front of the OEM opening.

Also the Evolve air box is not specific to Z4M. It is E46M3 specific but just happens to fit the Z4M.
Jumbosoch sounds like a fair solution. I was looking for something more "OEM like" but as I understand I will not manage to avoid a custom solution.

Since a lot of people have placed the CSL style airbox on their z4m, I wonder what is their solution and if they have faced any problem with their setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Vanne has installed the Karbonius with snorkel extension but he had to cut it.
Details are posted here somewhere.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #10
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Vanne has installed the Karbonius with snorkel extension but he had to cut it.
Details are posted here somewhere.
I found it. How I missed that one? I am big fan of Vanne's car.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...181402&page=10

So from what I understand Vanne is using:
1)A snorkel after the airbox
2)A RPI scoop in the the front grille
3)A custom "radiator" on the left air duct of the Nose. Btw what is this? It is a radiator, filter, intercooler or what?
4) Two pipes that move cold air to the snorkel that is installed after the "radiator".

Interesting solution.

However it shouldn't be more efficient to use a solution like the number 2, with a carbon snorkel after "radiator" ?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #11
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Made out of CF to justify the exorbitant price tag.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
beaniegti
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

To fit something like no.2 above I'd have thought you'd need to get a shorter rad and fan setup and possibly chop away some of the 'crossmember' so the large intake can line up with the grille (I'm going off memory here so not sure what space there is to work with.) Still, with enough time/will/skill/money it's doable.

As for the evolve box, it's opening is pointing downwards but istr that it's slightly inclined towards the factory opening and reasonably well aligned so although it won't be getting pressurised air it should be getting fresh air.
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      01-31-2017, 10:30 PM   #13
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

The stock intake hole is about 25 percent of the CSL intake hole. No matter where it's pointing, your not going to get enough (forced) air. Period, no matter if it's pointing up, down or to the moon.
Ill need to add that making the oem intake hole in the frame is going to require cutting, and that there is zero space.. were all still looking for a good solution, one that is practical and aesthetically pleasing.

Glad you like my car

Last edited by Vanne; 07-17-2017 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50