ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
218dhb
Head in Th Sky!
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si Roadster

how Do i install shift paddles on a m steering wheel?

I got a Z4M wheel off ebay in great condition and I need to know how to Fit my shift paddles off my stock Z4 steering wheel on the M wheel?

I really bought the wheel for the black remote buttons so if i can not use the entire wheel then i will just take the black spokes and buttons off the M wheel for the stock one either way.

i searched and searched but can not find anything
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

i have never heard anybody installing paddle shifters on a wheel that doesn't originally have it. well, thats just me, good luck with installing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 / '20 X5 M50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
It can be done. I bought an M-wheel with paddles installed, spent big $$. But if you already have paddles on your Si wheel, I think you can unscrew the paddles from your old wheel. You'll have to drill a hole in the M wheel spokes to mount the paddles. Run the wiring inside the wheel and you should be good to go. Use the back cover from your old wheel. That M-wheel feels great.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
218dhb
Head in Th Sky!
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si Roadster

just wanted to update this thread incase someone finds it asking the same question as i did. yesterday i did the swap and it was easy but it did take some time.

basically the shifty paddle wiring wraps around the entire inside of the steering wheel but it comes out easily, just take off the control buttons and the wire just unplugs and unwraps..again super easy!

you will need to drill two holes on the m wheel to fit the shifty paddles, i did it with A cordless drill and again its super easy cause BMW has the markings where to drill on the M wheel, well you will see where BMW drills in the non m wheel..also pay attention to the back of the stock wheel cause there are a few drilled markings so the paddles sit right, drilling these i think are optional since you will tighten the paddles down and they shouldn't move.

you will use a harness from the old wheel to use the shifty paddles on the m wheel, again its easy and if you have a stock wheel with shifty paddles you already have all the parts.

what takes the most time is undoing all the screws from the spokes, again its really that easy.

if anyone wants to do the swap and you can get a m wheel for cheap while you have a stock shifty paddle wheel then go for it! its a 30 min job and that's if your taking your time.
Appreciate 0