ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
rmousir
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Replacement Amp

Hi All,

Sounds like my amp is about to die. My music cuts in and out at random times. Some days it happens every minute, other days it doesn't happen at all. After some trouble shooting I'm 90% sure its the amp.

So i'm researching to see what a good replacement amp would be. I'd also be wiling to just replace the current stock OEM amp with another OEM amp.

Any direction or suggestions?

Thanks greatly.

Richard.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Do you have the hifi option with 10 speakers?
I looked for quite a while for a used amp for my hifi set up and even purchased a used amp off eBay from a different model BMW.
Finally gave up and bought a new OEM unit.

Even then I had to have it coded to the car to work
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
rmousir
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

yes. I have the kick butt system! lol

so even if I buy new it has to be programmed? How is that done? Can you tell me what you paid for that to be done?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Can't recall the cost I had other work done at my indie mechanic
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Bimmer_Addict
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Before buying an amp make sure that your battery cables are tight. The stereo is the first to cut out with a bad connection and can do so without the clock being reset. My negative cable was cracked in two and caused my battery to go bad. Huge overvoltage situation, I was up to 18V at the cigarette lighter.

If that isn't your problem try messaging Oazix. He might still have a hifi head unit for sale. Nice guy, got some speakers from him, real great packaging.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Amp can be common to different cars so it does need to be coded to match your specific car. You can have it done at the dealer, indie who has the proper software or yourself....if you have NCS Expert/Dummy and know what you are doing.

This is true at least for the high end Carver system amp for the 2004 3.0i model I have.