ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
WPC Rod Bearing Time

It's time for rod bearing replacement. My last two Blackstone reports were not good. I assume the WPC rod bearings are still the way to go. I see ECS has a set. Any recommendations, helpful hints? I haven't spoken to my indie mechanic, but would like to get someone to do this that has actual experience doing it. Maybe he has. We'll see. But, if not, are there any recommended shops that have experience with bearing replacement in North Carolina or South Carolina? I'm near Charlotte, NC.

Thanks!

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
If you don't mind, could you post your Blackstone results? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
It's time for rod bearing replacement. My last two Blackstone reports were not good. I assume the WPC rod bearings are still the way to go. I see ECS has a set. Any recommendations, helpful hints? I haven't spoken to my indie mechanic, but would like to get someone to do this that has actual experience doing it. Maybe he has. We'll see. But, if not, are there any recommended shops that have experience with bearing replacement in North Carolina or South Carolina? I'm near Charlotte, NC.

Thanks!

Salty
European Road and Racing in Charleston did mine. Ask for Karl.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      06-04-2017, 02:13 AM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

That's what I'm running.
Andrew Lang says they're a good idea, and I'll defer to him.
Also, he didn't like ARP bolts.
I thought they were a good idea since they have the dimple in the end and the stretch gauge.
Andrew said when he stretched them per ARP's recommendations on a test set of rods the bores were out of round.
He had to stretch them a good bit more to get the bores round, and he wasn't comfortable with that amount of stretch, so he used stock bolts on mine.

Last edited by StickMon; 06-04-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
Arsonism158.00
      06-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Xmetal, here you go. Please note, the mileage numbers are a little goofed up on the report. I've been changing my oil around the half-marks of what the service indicator suggests, so between 6K and 7.5K miles. The last oil change was done with less mileage, because I wanted to see if the lead stayed up in the 43 PPM range. Since I was using a topside extractor for the reading with 43 PPM of lead, I could not catch the stream, but rather dipped some oil from the middle of the plastic pump housing. I knew it wouldn't be completely accurate, but the 43 PPM number was so high, I decided to check the oil again sooner than normal, and I allowed for at least a quart to drain out of the pan before I began capturing the oil, so the last number I feel confident is accurate.

What really concerned me in the last week is that I think the engine is louder than it has been in the past. It's not a knocking sound, but at idle, it just sounds different. I am going to put a stethoscope on it to see if I can isolate the sound. It could be the water pump making the noise. Someone posted a video of their water pump noise, and it sounds similar.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete

Last edited by SaltyNC; 06-04-2017 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
Vanne1620.50
      06-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
European Road and Racing in Charleston did mine. Ask for Karl.
Thanks Antennahead!

Salty
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #7
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
That's what I'm running.
Andrew Lang says they're a good idea, and I'll defer to him.
Also, he didn't like APR bolts.
I thought they were a good idea since they have the dimple in the end and the stretch gauge.
Andrew said when he stretched them per APR's recommendations on a test set of rods the bores were out of round.
He had to stretch them a good bit more to get the bores round, and he wasn't comfortable with that amount of stretch, so he used stock bolts on mine.
Stickmon, thanks for the info. I guess by now you have a good many miles on your WPC treated bearings. Do you think you'll need to replace them again (for a non-tracked car), or do you think the WPC treated bearings are going to be a one time and done lifetime replacement?

It has been quite awhile since I read it, but I was on a European board, and someone there believed the bearing issue was almost completely a result of start-up wear, and after a few revolutions of the engine, it was then coated in oil properly, but until then, it was basically running dry on those bearings. I thought it was an interesting idea, and thought it might come up on Zpost, but unless I missed it, it never did.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Anyone familiar with these bearings?

http://www.bebearings.com/store/inde...products_id=27

Interesting discussion here about clearances:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...202365&page=12

Salty
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oops, forgot attachment. Here you go, Xmetal.

Salty
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
XMetal1131.00
Vanne1620.50
      06-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Xmetal, here you go. Please note, the mileage numbers are a little goofed up on the report. I've been changing my oil around the half-marks of what the service indicator suggests, so between 6K and 7.5K miles. The last oil change was gone with less mileage, because I wanted to see if the lead stayed up in the 43 PPM range. Since I was using a topside extractor for the reading with 43 PPM of lead, I could not catch the stream, but rather dipped some oil from the middle of the plastic pump housing. I knew it wouldn't be completely accurate, but the 43 PPM number was so high, I decided to check the oil again sooner than normal, and I allowed for at least a quart to drain out of the pan before I began capturing the oil, so the last number I feel confident is accurate.

What really concerned me in the last week is that I think the engine is louder than it has been in the past. It's not a knocking sound, but at idle, it just sounds different. I am going to put a stethoscope on it to see if I can isolate the sound. It could be the water pump making the noise. Someone posted a video of their water pump noise, and it sounds similar.

Salty
Thanks for posting the results. It's a tough call based on just one super high lead reading without copper/iron also going up. Well...iron did went up a bit, but copper remained steady, which makes it a much tougher call - I would had expected the opposite
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #11
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Quote:
Xmetal, here you go. Please note, the mileage numbers are a little goofed up on the report. I've been changing my oil around the half-marks of what the service indicator suggests, so between 6K and 7.5K miles. The last oil change was gone with less mileage, because I wanted to see if the lead stayed up in the 43 PPM range. Since I was using a topside extractor for the reading with 43 PPM of lead, I could not catch the stream, but rather dipped some oil from the middle of the plastic pump housing. I knew it wouldn't be completely accurate, but the 43 PPM number was so high, I decided to check the oil again sooner than normal, and I allowed for at least a quart to drain out of the pan before I began capturing the oil, so the last number I feel confident is accurate.

Salty
Thanks for posting the results. It's a tough call based on just one super high lead reading without copper/iron also going up. Well...iron did went up a bit, but copper remained steady, which makes it a much tougher call - I would had expected the opposite
If you wait on copper you are rolling the dice . Mine were shredded with similar results could have gone my next track day fwiw.
Appreciate 1
XMetal1131.00
      06-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^whs
Copper is the layer under lead.
IMO, If you wait for copper you are asking for trouble.

Just did mine with test showing 18ppm and lead was through to the point just before copper was showing.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
XMetal1131.00
      06-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #13
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^whs
Copper is the layer under lead.
IMO, If you wait for copper you are asking for trouble.

Just did mine with test showing 18ppm and lead was through to the point just before copper was showing.
So, your test results didn't show any abnormal copper level?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So, your test results didn't show any abnormal copper level?
Nothing significant.
It was up 1 ppm

my lead went from 2-4 range for several years to 18ppm this last sample
Appreciate 1
XMetal1131.00
      06-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Stickmon, thanks for the info. I guess by now you have a good many miles on your WPC treated bearings. Do you think you'll need to replace them again (for a non-tracked car), or do you think the WPC treated bearings are going to be a one time and done lifetime replacement?...
33k miles on them. I don't think I'll replace them again.
I read in a thread somewhere that somebody that makes camshafts determined that our bearings are about 2/3 as wide as they should be for the horsepower the S54 makes.
So I figure they're sized for about 200 hp, which is about what you get at WOT at about 5000 rpm.
So for DD use I keep it under 5000, with a dash up to about 6500 maybe once or twice a week to have some fun and blow some carbon out.
      06-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #16
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

the other significant factor is proper warm up.
My indie says more than half of the rod bearings he does are on DD non-tracked cars. (S65 & S54)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #17
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
the other significant factor is proper warm up.
My indie says more than half of the rod bearings he does are on DD non-tracked cars. (S65 & S54)
Warmed up or not the bearings are way to small , only way to fix is to up size the journals and rod bearings like I did .
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Warmed up or not the bearings are way to small , only way to fix is to up size the journals and rod bearings like I did .
I agree....
I would love to do the same if it wasn't so expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #19
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Any suggestions for other things I should do while the bearings are being replaced? None of my bushings have been replaced, so I'm thinking that would be a good idea. I was already planning on replacing the guibo.

Thanks.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Audio of Knocking

Yikes! I heard this today. It went away after just a few seconds of the engine running, but I'm guessing this is a good warning to stop driving and get it into the shop. Do ya'll think this is rod knock? Bummer.

Salty
Appreciate 1
coh661191.00
      06-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #21
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Hmm, not quite sure but it doesn't sound like one to me (though my motor sure doesn't sound like that!). You'd need to give it a bit of gas for me to tell for sure. If that sound ramps up as you give it gas, I imagine that would be the dreaded rod knock.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #22
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
NickyC, it actually diminishes in loudness as I accelerate, and it completely disappears soon after the engine is cranked and begins to warm up.

Salty
Appreciate 0