ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
iZ4vel
Repair Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

Help please! Fuel line disconnect?

I have a fuel leak where the fuel line connects to my fuel pressure regulator/fuel pump. My Haynes manual doesn't give instruction on how to disconnect the fuel line. I need to disconnect this fuel line because I'm most likely going to have to replace the fuel pressure regulator. I have tried everything from pushing the fuel line in, to turning the fuel line, to pulling on the fueling and I haven't had any success. If anyone know how to disconnect this fuel line please let me know. I drive a '03 Z4 2.5i. I made a video of the fuel line connector type, and also linked a picture of the new fuel pressure regulator's adapter, it appears to be a quick disconnect but obviously a generic fuel line removal tool won't work as the connector has 4 notches that block the inside. Maybe a special bmw tool? Or maybe it unscrews at its base? This is not held in by a metal clamp like on the 325i, it appears to be a push in type but it will not disconnect and it needs to because it is the source of the fuel leak. Thank you all for your help in advance!

Last edited by iZ4vel; 01-23-2016 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
What you have pictured is the fuel filter and pressure regulator. The fuel pump is snapped into its mount which is internal to the tank.

The BMW TIS (16 11 048) does not list any special tools to disconnect the fuel lines from the filter/regulator assembly. The only special too it lists is 16 1 020, to remove the outer cap on the fuel tank, which you already have done...

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

TIS says to press the ring towards the fuel filter and then pull out the fuel line.
Tightening Torque 16 14 2AZ is 50 +/- 10 Nm.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
iZ4vel
Repair Member
Rep

I tried to push the larger diameter ring into the fuel filter but it doesn't seem to move at all. There are two rings on the fuel line fitting (black piece), a smaller one in which the actual fuel connects to and then a larger one that doesn't move (meaning it's not spring loaded or quick disconnect type) but is a solid piece connected to the fitting. One thing that I did notice is that the beige looking piece that the fuel line connects to appears to have notches on it, perhaps to be turned out counter clockwise? I have tried this as well and this doesn't seem to do anything. The problem here is if I simply disconnect the fuel line from the fuel line fitting, it doesn't change the fact that the fitting is still going to need to be removed because my fuel leak is occurring exactly where the fitting is connected to the fuel pressure reg/fuel fitter. So eventually that thing is going to need to come off. One thing I could do is take off the fuel line, leave the fitting (black piece) attached to the fuel pressure reg/fuel filter and take it to my local dealer so that they can remove it for me so that it can be installed in the new fuel pressure reg. Any other idea's guys?

Attached are some pictures of the fitting...

Also notice how the pictures of the new part appear to have the fitment be installed by pushing it in and twisting it about 90* degrees to lock it... they appear to have a cross on them and 4 outer tabs to lock that cross in place.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZ4vel View Post
I tried to push the larger diameter ring into the fuel filter but it doesn't seem to move at all. There are two rings on the fuel line fitting (black piece), a smaller one in which the actual fuel connects to and then a larger one that doesn't move (meaning it's not spring loaded or quick disconnect type) but is a solid piece connected to the fitting. One thing that I did notice is that the beige looking piece that the fuel line connects to appears to have notches on it, perhaps to be turned out counter clockwise? I have tried this as well and this doesn't seem to do anything. The problem here is if I simply disconnect the fuel line from the fuel line fitting, it doesn't change the fact that the fitting is still going to need to be removed because my fuel leak is occurring exactly where the fitting is connected to the fuel pressure reg/fuel fitter. So eventually that thing is going to need to come off. One thing I could do is take off the fuel line, leave the fitting (black piece) attached to the fuel pressure reg/fuel filter and take it to my local dealer so that they can remove it for me so that it can be installed in the new fuel pressure reg. Any other idea's guys?

Attached are some pictures of the fitting...

Also notice how the pictures of the new part appear to have the fitment be installed by pushing it in and twisting it about 90* degrees to lock it... they appear to have a cross on them and 4 outer tabs to lock that cross in place.
Did you figure out how to remove it? I'm in the same situation
      11-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Zstig,

How did you replace your fuel filter? Just so we can get a solution documented.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
aboud
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 bmw z4 3.0

Has anyone figured out how to remove the fuel line from the filter? I have tried everything I know to release the fitting.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
aboud
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 bmw z4 3.0

I figured it out! I took a small screwdriver and pushed down under the bottom ring. You will feel the inner ring push down thus releasing black fitting.
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
iZ4vel
Repair Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
TIS says to press the ring towards the fuel filter and then pull out the fuel line.
Tightening Torque 16 14 2AZ is 50 +/- 10 Nm.

Guys, this was the answer. You have to press the outer ring with force toward the fuel pressure regulator and then pull the fuel line out. I'll create a video this weekend and upload it to show you guys with visuals.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #10
chhimp
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw z4 3.0i 2005

This diy have been very helpful. Alot of stuff had to be removed. First filter change at 145k
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Wow.. That's one filthy looking filter.. And I can't believe how much crap you have to remove to get at that puppy... Man, hope I don't need to do this soonish... Looks like one hell of a shity job..

Thanks for the info guys. :-)