ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-28-2023, 10:23 PM   #2839
07ImolaRot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M, 05 M3, 13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
You should put clear vinyl or something over the new trim so they don’t wear down again in few years
I got a new one too and thought about that but im afraid the vinly will rip the coating off at some point in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 05:57 AM   #2840
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Just found the centre muffler on ebay, I've been looking for this piece for a couple years.
PO had the original mufflers replaced with Rouge Diablo's which sound great but the twit who did the work hacked up the rear pipes trying to match them up. He cut the pipe too far back and replaced it with a smaller dia. plain steel pipe.
I know nobody's going to see it but it will make me feel better.
This is the ebay section I just bought, perfect.
Attached Images

AK72286.00
Colemme31.00
      08-07-2023, 01:10 AM   #2841
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

I installed the new SW and EU exterior mirrors with auto dip.

Name:  IMG_4259.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  224.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4256.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  138.1 KB
Appreciate 6
wdb4738.00
MVRS4.50
3002 tii2293.00
XMetal1148.00
      08-07-2023, 04:24 PM   #2842
07ImolaRot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M, 05 M3, 13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post

Attachment 3247761

Attachment 3247762

Nothing better than a fresh steering wheel. Wish BMW had a recall on the airbags too haha

How did you figure out if you have heated mirrors or not? I dont see cold weather package listed under my VIN so I assume I dont have heater mirrors. Been wanting to get the euro mirrors too !
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 07:40 PM   #2843
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:

Attachment 3247761

Attachment 3247762
Very nice man. I installed my refurb’d wheel today and I have to say it makes the car feel *new* haha.
Attached Images

08-07-2023, 08:37 PM   #2844
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07ImolaRot View Post
Nothing better than a fresh steering wheel. Wish BMW had a recall on the airbags too haha

How did you figure out if you have heated mirrors or not? I dont see cold weather package listed under my VIN so I assume I dont have heater mirrors. Been wanting to get the euro mirrors too !
Z4Ms have heated mirrors as standard, all came with it. the only thing that was optional was the auto-dip for some markets.

You can use this link and put your VIN

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode

On mine the two options that are related to mirrors are:

S430 Interior/Outside Mirror With Auto Dip
S313 Fold-In Outside Mirror

S313 is for electric fold, as all mirrors manually fold.

Seat heat would be the following option

S494 Seat Heating Driver/Passenger

My car is Canada spec, so there maybe differences, but heated exterior mirrors I believe are a safety feature, and not really a comfort / convenience item, so they are standard.
Appreciate 2
XMetal1148.00
      08-07-2023, 08:41 PM   #2845
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very nice man. I installed my refurb’d wheel today and I have to say it makes the car feel *new* haha.
it looks very cool, I only chose the original item as I feared having my wheel lost, or screwing the trims during removal, and they are so damn expensive that by the time I added the cost of retrim, shipping back and forth, and the cost of new switches, I was like... f... it, lets get a new one. The cost is really the same once I sell the one I took off.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 08:51 PM   #2846
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
it looks very cool, I only chose the original item as I feared having my wheel lost, or screwing the trims during removal, and they are so damn expensive that by the time I added the cost of retrim, shipping back and forth, and the cost of new switches, I was like... f... it, lets get a new one. The cost is really the same once I sell the one I took off.
That makes total sense. I got lucky that Turner sold the Individual trim pieces for $200 at the time, which seemed very reasonable. TBH I wasn’t even aware of the brittle plastic snap in pieces till you mentioned it, which is what got me down the path of looking for alternative new trim pieces.
      08-07-2023, 11:24 PM   #2847
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Z4Ms have heated mirrors as standard, all came with it. the only thing that was optional was the auto-dip for some markets.

You can use this link and put your VIN

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode

On mine the two options that are related to mirrors are:

S430 Interior/Outside Mirror With Auto Dip
S313 Fold-In Outside Mirror

S313 is for electric fold, as all mirrors manually fold.

Seat heat would be the following option

S494 Seat Heating Driver/Passenger

My car is Canada spec, so there maybe differences, but heated exterior mirrors I believe are a safety feature, and not really a comfort / convenience item, so they are standard.
Does Auto Dip mean Auto dimming? My car does have
S430 Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
So, it would appear to have the same as yours. Would you please mind posting the part number for your Euro mirror please? Thank you.

Does anyone know what is
S2VB Tyre pressure display?
My car appear to have it, but I never been able to see tire pressure at all

Also, my car has
S302 Alarm system
But I had to retrofit and program the siren for it
      08-08-2023, 07:50 AM   #2848
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes, auto dip is the dimming function.

I am positive the S2VB is the TPMS, my car (Canada), does not have it, and uses the old protocol to determine a low pressure tire (ABS speed sensor), yours have the actual TPMS transmitters, it is more accurate, but is something else that can break. you can actually code the car to use ABS to monitor for low pressure, just as mine.

if you retrofit the alarm, I think that is why it shows in your VIN decoder. if done following the retrofit, and the car was serviced at an authorized shop using ISTA the data is broadcasted to BMW.

I have a motorcycle that did not come with GPS prep, and I had the dealer retrofit it, after that, the decoder shows GPS prep as part of the VIN options, even when it was not like that originally.

Last edited by maupineda; 08-08-2023 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
XMetal1148.00
      08-11-2023, 08:40 PM   #2849
AKDDMD
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oem Bmw stubby antennae simple install looks great
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ourlee920.00
      08-13-2023, 01:53 PM   #2850
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Blackstone analysis for engine and rear diff.
      08-22-2023, 05:49 AM   #2851
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Put this in few ago but haven’t gotten around to driver side yet. Sparco QRT in red leather / alcantara for the factory look. Wiechers cage and Schroth 4 points to follow next month!

More details on install here.
Attached Images

Last edited by 3002 tii; 08-22-2023 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 4
3798j11552.50
Colemme31.00
Vanne1623.50
      08-22-2023, 10:53 AM   #2852
Blakkflame
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4M - E91 MSport

Quote:
... have you the white stitch on your center console ?

Or it's the pic ?
      08-22-2023, 01:26 PM   #2853
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Is just the light. Stitching is original.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 04:41 AM   #2854
Blakkflame
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4M - E91 MSport

Quote:
Is just the light. Stitching is original.
Ah, ok: never seen different stitch, also on Individual !
      08-25-2023, 06:28 PM   #2855
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

Finally:
1. This is the newer TL5000. Fits perfectly, but without much room to spare.
2. 3" lifting blocks work well, but no room to stack the 2" blocks on top. Car is not lowered, but rides on Bilstein B6s)
3. Best feature: on the lower setting, you can work on the engine without bending over.
4. Worst feature: hydraulic lines take up more floor space than warranted.
5. Yeah....the garage floor needs a cleanup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
3002 tii2293.00
3798j11552.50
Colemme31.00
bosstones1154.00
AK72286.00
      08-26-2023, 10:33 AM   #2856
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
Finally:
1. This is the newer TL5000. Fits perfectly, but without much room to spare.
2. 3" lifting blocks work well, but no room to stack the 2" blocks on top. Car is not lowered, but rides on Bilstein B6s)
3. Best feature: on the lower setting, you can work on the engine without bending over.
4. Worst feature: hydraulic lines take up more floor space than warranted.
5. Yeah....the garage floor needs a cleanup.
I have the 7000 but agree on all points (about quick jack, not your floor ). I disconnect the lines once the car is up unless I am doing something that will require me to frequently go over and under the car. Or maybe I just work too slow for it to be an issue.

For me, the biggest gripe is getting both sides into position. It still beats a floor jack (well...jacks aince Inused to need 2, lol) and don't regret getting it vs a portable 2-post.

I like the neatness of your wrenches. lol
      09-04-2023, 02:41 PM   #2857
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Sorry, but here comes a wall of text to cover all the things i did to the M recently in order redeem myself for all the years of neglect!

Quite a few things...new rubber, new headliner, new front windshield and most notably the front bumper/kidney grille support ring from my thread here...but for the really fun stuff see below!!

While the front bumper was in the shop getting painted I took care of several other items that I've had on my list for quite a while.

The wife loves my car, but does not like driving it lest anything happen to it on her watch. With her driving an SUV daily with a much higher perspective, backup camera and a full array of sensors on tap hopping into mine with the long nose, short tail and no warning systems at all...well, she just isn’t having it...so I went about trying to solve that a few months back. We both need to be comfortable driving each other’s vehicle.

First up was a rear camera system (like many here have done). I went with a Pormido 3 camera setup (flashed with wolfbox firmware) with the front, rear and interior cameras that constantly record. I was also looking into the PEMP Android system for the X3 (since our nav computers are very similar), but had reservations about how the fitment would be in the dash since i already had a hole for my existing nav...that being the case i set it on the back burner.

Wanting to keep my actual rear view mirror for numerous reasons, I tucked the Pormido display up high on the windshield behind the sun visor, and that worked pretty well, but as with most double-sided tapes (even the best ones) over time they eventually let go...especially in this Republic of Texas heat. I really needed a better way to mount it. Front and interior cameras are attached to the windshield clustered around the rear view mirror/rain sensor...way high and out of the way...the rear camera (not backup) is mounted below the license plate since it has an upward angle built into it making a nice viewing angle.

Next was the rear parking sensors...the typical 4 sensor arrangement is what i went with...cheap on amazon...spent like $20. Install was not that bad…just stay clear of the steel underneath. Some don't like the way these sensors look, but IMO it is pretty invisible when you consider the peace of mind it provides to some drivers. Mounted the sensor A/V display underneath the AC controls.

I finally had enough courage to take the dive on the PEMP android system. And believe it or not the existing nav screen hole really isn't that bad. Our nav screen mounting screws holes are a bit lower (I fabricated an extension piece) and our dash is a bit flatter than the X3, so you can see a slight opening on either side due to the gap created by the differing curves, but by wrapping the dash trim in the same material as my newly upholstered headliner it is more than enough to cover that gap/holes and tie it in with the look of the interior. I even have the iDrive knob installed just below the AC controls, but it is kind of limited in function (cheesy build quality as well) and touching the screen is not that bad given my reach is pretty long, but it is nice having the option to reach for the knob if I need to. I mounted an additional rear view camera above the license plate to act as the backup camera.

As for the functionality of the PEMP system...works as good as i could have expected...every bit as good as it does in the early version X3's. Some items don't work as the data stream is not available in the existing nav system, but ALL the things i care about work great! Phone BT, Music, Nav (offline with igo and tom tom), online functions (via phone hotspot or sim card data plan if i choose), additional rear view camera, car computer connectivity. Yes, it sticks up a bit more than the existing nav screen, but at 6ft tall I sit fairly high in the seat so while it does stick up a shade higher than the hood it is worth the sacrifice.

This created a bit of a conundrum for the original Pormido system since there is a bit of functionality overlap with the PEMP. I didn't want to remove the system since i liked the video recording functions, but i really had to address the space it was taking up in my FOV given the added PEMP screen, so... I went ahead and bought some donor sun visors and went about mounting the screen in the actual visor itself…folding it out of the way if desired, while also addressing the previous tape mounting issue. To get the screen to be able to fold up against the headliner i needed to 3d print some visor bracket stand-offs that allowed the thicker sandwich to fold up with no added stress on the screen. So, i scanned the original brackets and then gave them asymmetric height and then printed up some spacers so I could have the display sit essentially level in the no-so-level visor. Works quite nicely.
Attached Images

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android

Last edited by Z4Kevo; 09-07-2023 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: grammar...and it still sucks. clarified pormido/wplfbox
Appreciate 2
3798j11552.50
3002 tii2293.00
      09-04-2023, 04:20 PM   #2858
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Wow...I'm impressed. Nice going.
Appreciate 1
Z4Kevo84.50
      09-04-2023, 07:03 PM   #2859
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Kevo View Post
Sorry, but here comes a wall of text to cover all the things i did to the M recently in order redeem myself from all the years of neglect!

Quite a few things...new rubber, new headliner, new front windshield and most notably the front bumper/kidney grille support ring from my thread...but for the really fun stuff see below!!

While the front bumper was in the shop getting painted I took care of several other items that I've had on my list for quite a while.

The wife loves my car, but does not like driving it lest anything happen to it on her watch. Driving an SUV daily with a much higher perspective, backup camera and a full array of sensors on tap hopping into mine with the long nose, short tail and no warning systems at all...well, she just isn’t having it...so I went about trying to solve that a few months back. We both need to be comfortable driving each other’s vehicle.

First up was a rear camera system (like many here have done). I went with a Wolfbox 3 camera setup with the front, rear and interior cameras that constantly record. I was also looking into the PEMP Android system for the X3 (since our nav computers are very similar), but had reservations about how the fitment would be in the dash since i already had a hole for my existing nav...that being the case i set it on the back burner.

Wanting to keep my actual rear view mirror for numerous reasons, I tucked the Wolfbox display up high on the windshield behind the sun visor, and that worked pretty well, but as with most double-sided tapes (even the best ones) over time they eventually let go...especially in this Republic of Texas heat. I really needed a better way to mount it. Front and interior cameras are attached to the windshield clustered around the rear view mirror/rain sensor...way high and out of the way...the rear camera (not backup) is mounted below the license plate since it has an upward angle built into it making a nice viewing angle.

Next was the rear parking sensors...the typical 4 sensor arrangement is what i went with...cheap on amazon...spent like $20. Install was not that bad…just stay clear of the steel underneath. Some don't like the way these sensors look, but IMO it is pretty invisible when you consider the peace of mind it provides to some drivers. Mounted the sensor A/V display underneath the AC controls.

I finally had enough courage to take the dive on the PEMP android system. And believe it or not the existing nav screen hole really isn't that bad. Our nav screen mounting screws are a bit longer (I fabricated an extension piece) and our dash is a bit flatter than the X3, so you can see a slight opening on either side due to the gap created by the differing curves, but by wrapping the dash trim in the same material as my newly upholstered headliner it is more than enough to cover that gap/holes and tie it in with the look of the interior. I even have the iDrive knob installed just below the AC controls, but it is kind of limited in function (cheesy build quality as well) and touching the screen is not that bad given my reach is pretty long, but it is nice having the option to reach for the knob if I need to. I mounted an additional rear view camera above the license plate to act as the backup camera.

As for the functionality of the PEMP system...works as good as i could have expected...every bit as good as it does in the early version X3's. Some items don't work as the data stream is not available in the existing nav system, but ALL the things i care about work great! Phone BT, Music, Nav (offline with igo and tom tom), online functions (via phone hotspot or sim card data plan if i choose), additional rear view camera, car computer connectivity. Yes, it sticks up a bit more than the existing nav screen, but at 6ft tall I sit fairly high in the seat so while it does stick up a shade higher than the hood it is worth the sacrifice.

This created a bit of a conundrum for the original Wolfbox system since there is a bit of functionality overlap with the PEMP. I didn't want to remove the system since i liked the video recording functions, but i really had to address the space it was taking up in my FOV given the added PEMP screen, so... I went ahead and bought some donor sun visors and went about mounting the screen in the actual visor itself…folding it out of the way if desired, while also addressing the previous tape mounting issue. To get the screen to be able to fold up against the headliner i needed to 3d print some visor bracket stand-offs that allowed the thicker sandwich to fold up with no added stress on the screen. So, i scanned the original brackets and then gave them asymmetric height and then printed up some spacers so I could have the display sit essentially level in the no-so-level visor. Works quite nicely.
The iDrive control panel is a bit busy for me. But really impressive work, and really digging rear view display on the visor.
      09-07-2023, 11:15 AM   #2860
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
The iDrive control panel is a bit busy for me. But really impressive work, and really digging rear view display on the visor.
Thanks!

Yeah...i agree. The more i try to use the iDrive...and how tightly it is mounted in that space...i really don't see the need. Good thing is i can easily pull it and tuck the wire up into the dash should i change my mind later.

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android
Appreciate 2
3002 tii2293.00
Colemme31.00