ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
gago
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

mods u have done to your car

was wondering whats all the mods people have done in the z4 m
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

When compared to most cars even BMW's the Z4M is at the short end of the stick when it comes to mods,

We have very limited mods available to us,
Most people go this routine,

Rpi Scoop, BMC filter, ESS Tune, headers, full exhaust with a nice set of rear mufflers,
a few people do some other things but thats the general mod list on most Z4M's

Some also do the chassis tuning with coilovers, strut bars, springs etc,
and then there are a few people who change the rear end gears, options are 3.91 or 4.10

There are obviously names of mods Ive left off the list but these seem to be the most popular that Ive seen,

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Fuzzy dice.

Huzz
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Dunlop Star Spec tires instead of the stock Conti's

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
reRESERVEDFX
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 3.0i 03 BMW M5 DINAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Fuzzy dice.

Huzz
My brother in law just put a purple one on his rear view mirror in his M6

Talk about waste... :P
      10-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Also at least two air intakes are availabe, a carbonfibre GruppeM and an aFe. And to the more extreme end you can also supercharge your M. ESS make a few different kits starting from around 440hp and going all the way to 550 and they also provide a software tune that works for naturally aspirated M's. Some info about their supercharger kits here if you want.

Also brakes can be upgraded by replacing rotors, pads, brake lines and brake fluid or installing a big brake kit from the likes of AP Racing, Stoptech or Brembo.

There are a few short shift kits available from UUC Motorwerks or Roque Engineering if i am not mistaken and also aftermarket clutches and flywheels.

Now personally i have a UUC Evo3 short shift kit installed along with having completely removed the CDV (clutch delay valve) and rounding things up with a fucking loud RPI cat-back exhaust system.
      10-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
nichu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw m coupe

ga41: "fucking loud RPI cat-back exhaust system."
Soooooo, how loud is it? I've been going back and fourth between the Remus and the RPI and decided on the RPI because a lot of comments on the Remus say its not loud at all. But I've not bought it yet....
(fracking confusing....)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichu View Post
ga41: "fucking loud RPI cat-back exhaust system."
Soooooo, how loud is it? I've been going back and fourth between the Remus and the RPI and decided on the RPI because a lot of comments on the Remus say its not loud at all. But I've not bought it yet....
(fracking confusing....)
Very, VERY loud. Almost as if you have straight pipes. It's so loud that you practically cant hear the engine note. Also has some pretty bad drone at about 70-75mph in 6th. It does sound amazing, especially at higher revs, just very loud. I can live with the volume and even the drone but not being able to listen to that engine note is starting to get me. Reports from other users say that the noise mellows out a bit after a couple thousand miles but i've only had the exhaust for about 300. I'm still keeping the thing in the hope that after it's been broken in the sound will quiet down a bit.

If your car is only a trackday toy and you dont care about the noise you wont go wrong buying the RPI system. It sounds glorious, looks amazing, is very light (both sides weigh considerably less than just one of the original mufflers) and it's much cheaper than the likes of Eisenmann or Supersprint. It's just incredibly loud! I have an early review here if you want.
      10-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

remus exhaust carbon fibre rear diffuser, 19" bbs le mans replicas, zhp gear knob, aero skirts and oem strut brace, white 3rd brake lamp.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

This is the plan, I'll start from the engine back:

RPI scoop and skidpads, GruppeM intake, Streamline intake elbow, ESS tune, Zeck CDV, Full Supersprint headers and exhaust system with powerloop cans, 4.10 differential, 19" CSLs, stickier tires, better break pads, stubby antenna, lighted ZHP shift knob from Starscream, and that's it.

So far I have the RPI scoop, skidpads, GruppeM intake and Zeck CDV. Can't wait to get the rest but it'll probably be two years before I'm done
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
When compared to most cars even BMW's the Z4M is at the short end of the stick when it comes to mods,

We have very limited mods available to us,
Most people go this routine,

Rpi Scoop, BMC filter, ESS Tune, headers, full exhaust with a nice set of rear mufflers,
a few people do some other things but thats the general mod list on most Z4M's

Some also do the chassis tuning with coilovers, strut bars, springs etc,
and then there are a few people who change the rear end gears, options are 3.91 or 4.10

There are obviously names of mods Ive left off the list but these seem to be the most popular that Ive seen,
And then there's the people with a real set of balls that supercharger.

I kid I kid.
      11-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

19 VMR V710s
illuminated ZHP short shift knob
GruppeM intake
REMUS exhaust
clear bra
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

RPI Ram, Group M Intake, Eisenmann Race Exhaust, CDV Delete, Hamann Tune, Hamann Short shifter, Hamann Headers, Hamann x pipe, Hamann Front end, Hamann 19 inch rims, Hamann rear end, Ipod adaptor, Roadster Solutions Wind Blocker!

2006 E46 M3, 2004 Jeep Rubicon, 93 Golf VR6
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
And then there's the people with a real set of balls that supercharge.

I kid I kid.
No you don't.

- Dinan Intake
- Dinan Muffler
- Supersprint headers with Jet-Hot coating
- Magnaflow catalytic converters
- Zeckhausen CDV
- Hartge Shift Knob
- Strong Strut tower bar and firewall braces
- KW V2 Coilovers with 450lb front and 600lb rear springs
- Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts
- Brembo 4 piston front and 2 piston rear brakes
- iForged Aero rims with Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires
- ESS Tuning TS2 Supercharger Kit

'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

You're right actually I don't drives me nuts when people buy anything that has a "10hp" gain.
      11-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #16
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
Very, VERY loud. Almost as if you have straight pipes. It's so loud that you practically cant hear the engine note. Also has some pretty bad drone at about 70-75mph in 6th. It does sound amazing, especially at higher revs, just very loud. I can live with the volume and even the drone but not being able to listen to that engine note is starting to get me. Reports from other users say that the noise mellows out a bit after a couple thousand miles but i've only had the exhaust for about 300. I'm still keeping the thing in the hope that after it's been broken in the sound will quiet down a bit.

If your car is only a trackday toy and you dont care about the noise you wont go wrong buying the RPI system. It sounds glorious, looks amazing, is very light (both sides weigh considerably less than just one of the original mufflers) and it's much cheaper than the likes of Eisenmann or Supersprint. It's just incredibly loud! I have an early review here if you want.
I have to say.... why would you be surprised by drone from an aftermarket exhaust? None of these "tuners" have the resources of BMW. The acoustic and flow mechanics wizards at BMW I am sure weighed all options as they tuned out the rasp of the M3 and dialed in some growl for the M e85/86 cars. But I guess they don't have the constraints either such as noise level and emissions, etc. Either way the trade off is not worth it to me. I'll stick with the stock sound system so I can hear more of what's going on under the hood! (I am an e36 UUC and HKS DSM exhaust system owner by the way, so I have some experience with quality AM exhausts)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #17
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
I have to say.... why would you be surprised by drone from an aftermarket exhaust? None of these "tuners" have the resources of BMW. The acoustic and flow mechanics wizards at BMW I am sure weighed all options as they tuned out the rasp of the M3 and dialed in some growl for the M e85/86 cars. But I guess they don't have the constraints either such as noise level and emissions, etc. Either way the trade off is not worth it to me. I'll stick with the stock sound system so I can hear more of what's going on under the hood! (I am an e36 UUC and HKS DSM exhaust system owner by the way, so I have some experience with quality AM exhausts)
I didnt say i was surprised by the drone. The guy asked me what i thought about the exhausts so i told him.
      11-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #18
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
They didn't tune out the rasp, it is 100% a mechanic of the second set of cats. They even attempted to allow the rasp through with the mufflers. Get a good look at the system sometime.