ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw z4 coupe 3.0si

removing hood/trunk emblems..

I am removing the emblems on my car to get them painted. I know the side emblems just twist off, but how tricky is it to get the hood and trunk emblems completely off the car? I don't want to mess anything up and I know the trunk might be somewhat complicated to get off. I was going to do the steering wheel as well, but I can see that turning into a hassle as well. I searched the forums but couldn't find anything on this, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was going to try and do this today and don't want to damage anything. I know the chrome ring around the rear/trunk emblem has to come off as well. Does this come off with the emblem or is it a seperate piece?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

The front bumper emblem has two nuts holding it on. You can access it pretty easily by pulling out one of your front grills. I have my bumper off at the moment and can take a pic tonight if you still need it.

I'm not sure about the rear.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Rear is just held on by double stick tape and two little grommets. You don't have to take the ring out, just "flap" the switch open like you are opening the trunk, and you'll see that the emblem is just stuck on there. So go in with a plastic crowbar or other flat device and pry it off, take your time and you won't damage anything.

I did the same thing and got mine painted and love them!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
silverfishZ4M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

The steering wheel emblem doesn't come off, it is attached to airbag. You can get decals on eBay that sit on top.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Rear is just held on by double stick tape and two little grommets. You don't have to take the ring out, just "flap" the switch open like you are opening the trunk, and you'll see that the emblem is just stuck on there. So go in with a plastic crowbar or other flat device and pry it off, take your time and you won't damage anything.

I did the same thing and got mine painted and love them!
sweet!...any way you could post some pics?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I would love to see your painted emblems as well. I REALLY appreciate the reply man. Does the chrome ring on the trunk just pop off as well? I wanted to paint the chrome ring that the emblem is attached to as well, or does the chrome ring simply pop off with the emblem? I know it's kind of a complicated question, but this will helpful. I'm actually taking the emblems off tomorrow. I've been using stickers for all of the emblems (including the steering wheel), I want to get some real deal paint going instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Pokey posted a ton of pictures here about this (last post, but still read the whole thread there's a lot of info).

Doesn't cover the rear emblem because the roadster emblem is different than coupe. But does cover the side/front. Sadly the roadster emblem is not used to pop the trunk like on the coupe.
      01-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Pokey posted a ton of pictures here about this (last post, but still read the whole thread there's a lot of info).

Doesn't cover the rear emblem because the roadster emblem is different than coupe. But does cover the side/front. Sadly the roadster emblem is not used to pop the trunk like on the coupe.
sorry, I meant do you have any pics of the painted emblems...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
gferil
Captain
Rep

I'm away from my car at the moment so can't go and take photos of it. The best I could find was a shot when I was getting my wheels installed, and you can kinda see the rear emblem. I had the blue parts painted black, and the outer chrome ring of the emblem painted black as well. I had a vinyl shop wrap the outer chrome piece of the emblem "holder" in matte black. Sorry it's not an exact shot but you get the idea. I'll also attach another shot where you can see the side emblem...same thing, blue parts painted black and outer chrome ring painted black
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm away from my car at the moment so can't go and take photos of it. The best I could find was a shot when I was getting my wheels installed, and you can kinda see the rear emblem. I had the blue parts painted black, and the outer chrome ring of the emblem painted black as well. I had a vinyl shop wrap the outer chrome piece of the emblem "holder" in matte black. Sorry it's not an exact shot but you get the idea. I'll also attach another shot where you can see the side emblem...same thing, blue parts painted black and outer chrome ring painted black
ahhhh...thx...well I'm an idiot....I was under the impression the emblems were completely taken off, and then they were painted to match flush with the paint...basically having no emblem whatsoever....I've debadged the 3.0SI and Z4 emblems which I like, but I wanted to completely debadge the emblems as well....yours still looks pretty nice...it would look good on my white z4 on black/silver rims

edit** sorry, meant was the emblems were off, they car body/finish was made to be flush w/no emblems..

Last edited by papitosabe; 01-19-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
gferil
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
ahhhh...thx...well I'm an idiot....I was under the impression the emblems were completely taken off, and then they were painted to match flush with the paint...basically having no emblem whatsoever....I've debadged the 3.0SI and Z4 emblems which I like, but I wanted to completely debadge the emblems as well....yours still looks pretty nice...it would look good on my white z4 on black/silver rims

edit** sorry, meant was the emblems were off, they car body/finish was made to be flush w/no emblems..
Ahh...I believe that is called "shaving" the emblems. I've seen a photo of it done once, looks real nice especially on the side fenders...requires a lot of work and a talented body shop person.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ahh...I believe that is called "shaving" the emblems. I've seen a photo of it done once, looks real nice especially on the side fenders...requires a lot of work and a talented body shop person.

gotcha, thanks! I haven't seen any Z4's shaved, but I definitely like the look

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1323242
Appreciate 0