ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Aftermarket Pad Recommendation?

I'm going to be getting new front rotors upcoming and would like to replace the pads at the same time.

I do a fair amount of spirited/backroad driving. In the next year, I also plan on attending 1 or 2 track days. For the rest of my driving, I'm pretty easy on the brakes (coast to a stop, etc). I don't really mind brake dust since I clean my car a lot anyways. I'm most interested in upgrading the performance of the pads.

So, what pads would you guys recommend? I tried searching, but I didn't really find a consensus for a mostly DD/some track, pad.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
I'm going to be getting new front rotors upcoming and would like to replace the pads at the same time.

I do a fair amount of spirited/backroad driving. In the next year, I also plan on attending 1 or 2 track days. For the rest of my driving, I'm pretty easy on the brakes (coast to a stop, etc). I don't really mind brake dust since I clean my car a lot anyways. I'm most interested in upgrading the performance of the pads.

So, what pads would you guys recommend? I tried searching, but I didn't really find a consensus for a mostly DD/some track, pad.
When you're looking for performce improvement, are you focused on your upcoming track days? If that's the case, will this be your first time on track? If so, then you'll probably be OK with your OE pads as you won't be going that fast yet, and won't be using the brakes to their potential regardless of speed. At least, that was me... And on the street, it's hard to beat the cold bite of the OEs so long as you don't mind the dust. Consider saving the $$ for dedicated track pads when that time comes... as you get faster, you'll find that there really isn't a "some track" pad that'll do a satisfactory job on the track.

Hope that hepls, please forgive if you know this already.
      12-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Carbotech > All Others

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
When you're looking for performce improvement, are you focused on your upcoming track days? If that's the case, will this be your first time on track? If so, then you'll probably be OK with your OE pads as you won't be going that fast yet, and won't be using the brakes to their potential regardless of speed. At least, that was me... And on the street, it's hard to beat the cold bite of the OEs so long as you don't mind the dust. Consider saving the $$ for dedicated track pads when that time comes... as you get faster, you'll find that there really isn't a "some track" pad that'll do a satisfactory job on the track.

Hope that hepls, please forgive if you know this already.
Thanks for the reply. I've only done one track day so far, so I'm definitely still a novice in that respect. I'm not really focused on pads for the track only because I don't have plans to ever track the car heavily. Just an HPDE here and there to have some fun and learn a thing or two.

I guess what I really want is a pad that will have a similar cold bite to the OE pad (doesn't need to be warmed up before performance is decent), but will also still have a good bite/feel when being pushed (where I've found/heard the OE pad struggles). I realize there is a compromise here though...

I've heard some good things about Cool Carbons. PFC01's are too extreme, but how about the PFC-Z's? Any input is appreciated...

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

Just keep in mind that running most performance geared brake pads will come with the added benefit of SQUEALING like a pig every time you step on the brakes...just imaging what sitting in stop and go traffic is like.

I am happy with the stock pads on the street and switch to PFC06 pads before I drive to HPDE's.

That being said ...
A pad to consider that I am familiar with, that MAY suite your needs would be HAWK HP pads as a substitute for OEM. This is not a track worthy pad but is good for spirited driving. Stay away from HP+ if your worried about brake squeal. Sure there will be others who swear by other manufactures but I can only share off my own experiences.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
Carbotech > All Others
Bobcats? I've heard a lot of good things about them. Really leaning towards the Bobcats or PFC-Z's as they seem like what I'm looking for. I'd just like to hear some more input on the two since the Bobcats are a little pricier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
Just keep in mind that running most performance geared brake pads will come with the added benefit of SQUEALING like a pig every time you step on the brakes...just imaging what sitting in stop and go traffic is like.

I am happy with the stock pads on the street and switch to PFC06 pads before I drive to HPDE's.

That being said ...
A pad to consider that I am familiar with, that MAY suite your needs would be HAWK HP pads as a substitute for OEM. This is not a track worthy pad but is good for spirited driving. Stay away from HP+ if your worried about brake squeal. Sure there will be others who swear by other manufactures but I can only share off my own experiences.
A little squealing is alright...Especially if it's just due to the pads being cold. Definitely don't want to sound like a garbage truck though.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

i've been running the Axxis ultimate deluxe pads on the street and for 3 HPDEs. Seem to be holding up very well and very little dust. I'm just to the point where I want to upgrade for track days.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Stoptech Street performance. More linear than stock pads, a bit less dust, and can be used up to "moderate" track use (per Zeckhausen). Pretty reasonably priced too. I found them to be plenty of pad for my first 6 track days, with no fade, deposits, or other issues.

Bottom line there are some pretty good options other than stock (less dust, more linear).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Stoptech Street performance. More linear than stock pads, a bit less dust, and can be used up to "moderate" track use (per Zeckhausen). Pretty reasonably priced too. I found them to be plenty of pad for my first 6 track days, with no fade, deposits, or other issues.

Bottom line there are some pretty good options other than stock (less dust, more linear).
Wow, I didn't even know these were an option. The wide temp range is awesome! Are they noisy at all?

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
PF Z-rated pads

I'm currently running the Axxis ULT ceramic pads for daily driving and hate them. They don't dust but they don't stop real well either when cold. I'm going back to my old dusty, trusty OEM Textar pads on the next change out.
I used the PF Z-rated pads on my former E36/8 Z3 M Coupe and was happy with their street performance.
I currently install the PF-01 for HPDS use but will probably go with the PF-06 for my next set.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
Wow, I didn't even know these were an option. The wide temp range is awesome! Are they noisy at all?
No noise. Bedded them after install and they were good to go. Cold, hot, no noise and good performance. Excellent stopping power, but as noted more linear than stock pads (which are too on/off for my taste).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No noise. Bedded them after install and they were good to go. Cold, hot, no noise and good performance. Excellent stopping power, but as noted more linear than stock pads (which are too on/off for my taste).
Looks like I don't have any choice but to give these a try! Especially at only $121 for the set (via eBay)

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335I M Sport

Havent changed from stock pads on my M yet but I liked Pagid on my Porsche
2007 Z4MC #1019/1815 (Sold)
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

We've run Cool Carbon pads for street and on track, and they have performed quite well for us for dual duty! They also dust less than OEM, which is a plus!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:

Agreed, Stoptech Street Performance pads worked fine for me on the track too with no fade even at a very high speed circuit and are also great on the street.

Currently, on the street I use Posi Quiet Ceramic brake pads which I find are fantastic. They have virtually no dust for street driving but I wouldn't use them at the track.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
I'm currently running the Axxis ULT ceramic pads for daily driving and hate them. They don't dust but they don't stop real well either when cold. I'm going back to my old dusty, trusty OEM Textar pads on the next change out.
I used the PF Z-rated pads on my former E36/8 Z3 M Coupe and was happy with their street performance.
I currently install the PF-01 for HPDS use but will probably go with the PF-06 for my next set.
You could say the same about all ceramic pads really. The major benefit you are paying for is no dust, not their increased initial bite when cold.

Just push harder and you will stop in the same distance. I used to use Axxis Deluxe pads when I had the stock brake system and they were great on the street for everyday use.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Hmmmm. I'm surprised to hear about very little dust. I bought a set from Turner (came in a PBR branded box, but supposed to be the same) and to me they dust even worse than the stock pads. The Axxis site says they dust less than stock pads but are not considered a low-dust pad.

I wonder if there really is a difference between the Axxis branded and PBR branded pads?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Hmmmm. I'm surprised to hear about very little dust. I bought a set from Turner (came in a PBR branded box, but supposed to be the same) and to me they dust even worse than the stock pads. The Axxis site says they dust less than stock pads but are not considered a low-dust pad.

I wonder if there really is a difference between the Axxis branded and PBR branded pads?
Which Axxis pads did you buy from TMS?

They are not all the same and TMS do not sell the Axxis Deluxe.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Agreed, Stoptech Street Performance pads worked fine for me on the track too with no fade even at a very high speed circuit and are also great on the street.
Glad to see your experience was the same.

Must be nice to be able to swap out the pads so quickly with your new brake kit too.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Which Axxis pads did you buy from TMS?

They are not all the same and TMS do not sell the Axxis Deluxe.
I originally purchased the Ultimates. Had to buy the deluxe's from somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
I originally purchased the Ultimates. Had to buy the deluxe's from somewhere else.
This is very strange.

You would be the first that I have ever heard of complaining about the dust of Axxis Deluxe pads and alleging that they dust more than stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #22
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
This is very strange.

You would be the first that I have ever heard of complaining about the dust of Axxis Deluxe pads and alleging that they dust more than stock.
You've got it backwards. I originally purchased and installed the Axxis/PBR Ultimates. Those are what I'm saying dusted even more than stock. I just swapped them out for Axxis Deluxes.
Appreciate 0