ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
[Z4MC] valve stem adventure

So a couple of months ago I replaced my aging PS2's with Pilot Super Sports @ Discount Tire. Checked pressure the other day and decided I needed to top up a couple PSI. Hit the fronts, no problem. Then I try to get the gas station air nozzle onto a rear stem - it's too short! Can't even get the thing securely onto the valve to add air. WTH?

I went back to Discount Tire, they pulled up the Z4M in their computer, and about 7-8 different valve stems all come up as "correct" for the car. Dude was really perplexed, said he'd never seen that before. He went and grabbed all the ones he had in stock, all short like the ones I had gotten. One that was out of stock was a mystery. I Googled it and found a pic - voila, 5mm longer. Ordered those in and replaced them (no charge of course), and all is well. Moral of the story: make sure you don't get stuck with some shorty stems when getting new tires.

I also had the PSS's side-to-side rotated (they have about 5k miles on them). BIG difference. They were already starting to get noisy, this quieted them right down again. I wasn't aware till the other day that the PSS is asymmetrical, not directional. Hell, the PS2's are also asymmetrical, so I could have rotated those too. Oh well. Now I need to do the same to PSS's on my ZHP, they're really noisy at 10k miles.
      08-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

How did they inflate them in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

thanks for the tips
      08-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Used to have the same problem with my MR2. Had Discount Tire put longer stems in without any hassle.
I thought all stem seats were the same, and you could put in whatever length suits you.

If anyone likes the look of them not sticking out, Wal-Mart sells extensions that you can use to put air in, and then remove them when you're done.
Had to put some on my Son's bike.
      08-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
If anyone likes the look of them not sticking out, Wal-Mart sells extensions that you can use to put air in, and then remove them when you're done. Had to put some on my Son's bike.
Hmm, I'd have been OK going this route. The proper ones do stick out a fair bit, though the ones they changed me over to don't quite as much.

As for how they got air in in the first place, apparently their hose nozzle is much smaller than the one I attempted to use at a gas station.
      08-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
How did they inflate them in the first place?
The typical tire inflator at gas station has a 90º bend at the tip, making it impossible to latch onto the shorty stem caused by the deep curvature and small offset of the rear.

Tire shops typically have the straight kind of filler hose that clamps onto the threaded part of the stem. So as long as that part is exposed, it's relatively easy for them to fill a tire even with stems that are too short for our wheels.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0