ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
have "her" put the track set of wheels/tires in the back of the F150, and follow you to the track. heh
I have repeatedly ask if she would like to come out for the weekend or even learn to drive, but that's a no go. "That's your time. You never do anything for yourself, so go have fun. I will go shopping....."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #24
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

A buddy of mine rented a storage unit near his favorite track which is about 1.5 hours away. Him and his cronies use it purely to store track brakes and pads in, they drive their weekend warriors over, swap pads and wheels quickly, drive them to the track then swap back for the ride home, not a bad idea if you're only frequenting 1-2 tracks at a time.
      06-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #25
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
A buddy of mine rented a storage unit near his favorite track which is about 1.5 hours away. Him and his cronies use it purely to store track brakes and pads in, they drive their weekend warriors over, swap pads and wheels quickly, drive them to the track then swap back for the ride home, not a bad idea if you're only frequenting 1-2 tracks at a time.
Now THAT is an idea...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #26
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Not sure how far away the track is for you, but what about getting track wheels with star specs or nitto's on them, vs a compound tire, and drive to the trac, and keep your OEM's with a good three season tire? It would be an upgrade in performance from what you are currently running, yet should hold up to tracking and the drive to and fro. The upgrade should allow you to further push you limits and provide a more enjoyable track day experience. It would also allow you to move through the sport progressively vs making a radical leap to trailering your car. All things being equal, I wonder if you would save money in the long run by spreading out the wear more equitably and appropriately. (This might be my wishful thinking here. )

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My mid term plans are just that. New, lighter wheels/tires for the track and my OEM's for the everyday stuff. My next big purchase will be new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #28
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
Not sure how far away the track is for you, but what about getting track wheels with star specs or nitto's on them, vs a compound tire, and drive to the trac, and keep your OEM's with a good three season tire?)
I like this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
My mid term plans are just that. New, lighter wheels/tires for the track and my OEM's for the everyday stuff. My next big purchase will be new wheels.
You and I are on the same path. Apex wheels for me, Star Specs on them for the track stock wheels and the Sumitomos for regular driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

i'll tell you what i put on my nitto's NT05 about 2 weeks ago and i can definetely feel the difference. grippier launches, better handling in the turns. way better than the continentals i had on
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #30
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
i'll tell you what i put on my nitto's NT05 about 2 weeks ago and i can definetely feel the difference. grippier launches, better handling in the turns. way better than the continentals i had on
I've used my NT05s at the track as well, problem I ran into is as I got quicker, going faster on the NT05s was indeed possible, at the cost of wear. It wasn't until the treadblocks caused angular wear on the outside tires to the point 50% life was gone after 1 weekend that I decided it was time for track wheels. I've since gone NT01s and track wheels and wish I would have done it sooner, it also allows me to go with a better wearing / less noisy tire on the street (the NT05s get very loud as you approach the half wear mark)
      06-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #31
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
I've used my NT05s at the track as well, problem I ran into is as I got quicker, going faster on the NT05s was indeed possible, at the cost of wear. It wasn't until the treadblocks caused angular wear on the outside tires to the point 50% life was gone after 1 weekend that I decided it was time for track wheels. I've since gone NT01s and track wheels and wish I would have done it sooner, it also allows me to go with a better wearing / less noisy tire on the street (the NT05s get very loud as you approach the half wear mark)

I totally understand the logic of having street and track wheels/tires. but I'm a bit confused in the case of the NT01s or similar tires.

For someone who doesn't have a ton of track day under their belt, and has a lot left to learn, I was under the impression that moving to a competition level tire was an invitation to unexpected/unforgiving loss of traction (no gradual break away) and more importantly a tendency to develop bad habits.

I might be oversimplifying things a bit, but aren't extreme summer performance tires better to learn with than competition level tires?

I'm not speaking about Ship's needs (since I don't know his skill level), but for me with a whole 3 hours of on track experience and instruction....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #32
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea i can see what you're saying. I'm a noob when it comes to track driving though. ive had these on for a short period of time so i have yet to experience the wear and noise issues. time will tell if i purchase these again. I do like the price though. next up is probably star specs
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #33
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The only reason I did not get the StarSpecs is that several track guys I run with told me that now that I am getting faster and faster, consistently, that the StarSpecs will start to get a little greasy after a while on the track. I had this opinion confirmed when talking to my independent shop. The owner use to be with the Bimmerworld race team.
I had heard this on several forums also, but I have no direct data to prove or disprove this.

My only real option at this point is to get dedicated wheels/tires for the track. That will come sometime late this year.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #34
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

The Star Specs worked well on my E39 on the track. I have a staggered set in 235/40-18 and 265/35-18 in my garage right now that I'm thinking of selling - one summer plus one track day on them.

Ironic that I sold that car to get the M and now I can't do track days this year as I save for a house.

Hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #35
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
The Star Specs worked well on my E39 on the track. I have a staggered set in 235/40-18 and 265/35-18 in my garage right now that I'm thinking of selling - one summer plus one track day on them.

Ironic that I sold that car to get the M and now I can't do track days this year as I save for a house.

Hmmm.
pick me! i'd like to buy those
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #36
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Has anyone else felt a lot more NVH from the star specs vs Michelin PS2s?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #37
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
star specs and pretty much any other extreme summer compound is gonna be a lot louder than a max summer compound like the PS2. My PS2s are ZP so I can't comment on the sidewall stiffness of the normal PS2 vs. direzza star spec but any additional sidewall stiffness could be contributing to increased harshness
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #38
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was reading in a Porsche Magazine while having my new tires installed (Wed) that in 2009, the EU thought that tire noise was a 'hazard to health' and was going to mandate lower noise tires.
Michelin came out and said that, "yes they could make a quieter tire but they would be no good in the rain. He then pointed out that the noise a tire makes is due to the air being forced out from between the tread/sips while driving. He then said that's why slicks are so much more quieter than street tires...."

I don't know just how well these new tires are going to be since I only drove home on them but the ride felt 'firmer but not firmer'. It's really hard to describe. Tomorrow when I go to work, I will feel more. As for performance, that I cannot really tell anything about since I am driving on the street.

The do have a stiffer sidewall than the DW.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #39
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
Has anyone else felt a lot more NVH from the star specs vs Michelin PS2s?
Yes - But not vs PS2 - The Dunlops at certain speeds are loud. Not sure if its the tyres or the tranny mounts because I did them at the same time. I suspect tyres...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #40
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
pick me! i'd like to buy those
I just can bring myself to ship them. I have one car. Guess what it is. You tell me how I'd get them to the shipping center.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #41
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Yes - But not vs PS2 - The Dunlops at certain speeds are loud. Not sure if its the tyres or the tranny mounts because I did them at the same time. I suspect tyres...
I did RE transmounts and noise was increased a little but VH were hardly affect, so especially if it's harshness and ride quality going over bumps related I'd suspect tires too
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #42
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
I just can bring myself to ship them. I have one car. Guess what it is. You tell me how I'd get them to the shipping center.
surprisingly, i actually manuvered 4 tires to fit in my car. no rush on tires anyway, i barely have room to store them
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #43
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I'm thinking of upgrading my V12s to Potenza RE-11 or ADVAN Neova AD08 based on these test results

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118
      06-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #44
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading my V12s to Potenza RE-11 or ADVAN Neova AD08 based on these test results

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118
both are amazing tires but $$$
Appreciate 0