ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
All season tires or summer tires in the snow?

I'm kinda in a pinch here and I'm stuck driving my Z4 for the next 2 weeks in the snow.

I have 19" M6 replica wheels with SUMMER tires (90% tread remaining) and I also have the stock 18" wheels with all-seasons but 2 of them are nearly bald with about 10% tread remaining and the other 2 have about 40% tread remaining.

I drove home today with the 19" M6 reps on (summer tires) and it was an absolute nightmare. The yellow triangle was ON more time than it was off...LOL.

What wheels/tires should I go with for the next 2 weeks and common sense would tell me to put the all-seasons on and the better tires go on the REAR? Can someone confirm this for me?
      12-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
i'd take 18s with 2 bald just b/c summers are shit i nsnow, but the wider 19s only make it worse. or sell your 18s and get a dedicated winter set like i did. have oem 18s on michelin ps2, oem 17s on blizzaks.
      12-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

I am really wondering how will winter tires cope with snow compared to summer is it very safe to drive out z in snow with winter tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

summer tires turn into rocks once the temp gets below freezing. i drove in snow this weekend with T1-Rs and i almost spun many times. all seasons are better in snow but still not great. snow tires will be the best in the winter due to the softer compound. they have thick tread blocks and cut through the snow rather than going over it. i ran winter tires last winter and it was awesome. i was hauling ass in 2 inches of snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
i'd take 18s with 2 bald just b/c summers are shit i nsnow, but the wider 19s only make it worse. or sell your 18s and get a dedicated winter set like i did. have oem 18s on michelin ps2, oem 17s on blizzaks.
same. except i'd keep the 18' rims and mount snows. i did and they drive very well in the white stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
I am really wondering how will winter tires cope with snow compared to summer is it very safe to drive out z in snow with winter tires?
I don't think there would be many issues with the Z on winter tires and snow (provided that you drive according to conditions). I'd be more concerned about my car being hit from some dumbass around me who doesn't have proper tires or proper driver training.
      12-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
I don't think there would be many issues with the Z on winter tires and snow (provided that you drive according to conditions). I'd be more concerned about my car being hit from some dumbass around me who doesn't have proper tires or proper driver training.
I worry about that everyday...

As far as driving in the snow goes, I just avoid it, although the one time I've driven in the snow with summers on was "a blast"

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #8
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
summer tires turn into rocks once the temp gets below freezing. i drove in snow this weekend with T1-Rs and i almost spun many times. all seasons are better in snow but still not great. snow tires will be the best in the winter due to the softer compound. they have thick tread blocks and cut through the snow rather than going over it. i ran winter tires last winter and it was awesome. i was hauling ass in 2 inches of snow.

Agree. Main reason winter tires work so well in snow is the tread moves around alot and keeps snow/ice from being trapped in the tread. Summer times will trap snow/ice in the tread which in affect turns them into slicks. Plus as said above, summer tread designs have no bite either. Any car can be driven with winter tires in snow with decent success, with or without chains. Of course, AWD combined with winter tires and/or chains is quite advantageous. Here in Germany BMW sells chain sets for all their cars (upwards of 300 Euros per set).
      12-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #9
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i will always go for winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Search Craigslist, the classified section of Zpost/E90post, or the BMWCCA classifieds. Try and find a slightly used set of winter tires.

When I lived in Michigan, I had a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on my 330i in the winter. Never had an issue. In the spring I moved to Phoenix, and sold my winter setup to a fellow board member.

All-seasons are better in snow then summer tires... but all-seasons are average at everything, great at nothing. I'd rather have a set of great winter tires, and a set of great summer tires.
      12-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

My car couldn't get up a 1% incline on summer tires with half an inch of snow... Summer tires are downright suicidal
      12-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
buddrinker
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 3.0i

Tried to drive mine last winter. Left drivway and did a 360. Now its parked for the winter. Not worth the damage it might get. Leaving it in the garage Just gives you that can't wait till spring feeling and makes it that much more sweeter when you get to drive her again.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Dont even bother trying to drive your Z in snow with summers. Remember, it is less about being able to go forward and more about being able to stop. Summer tires may be able to get going but forget about grip in corners or when coming to a stop. I vote for snow tires on 18s.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0